OT: NAS Build

simono5

simono5

Hi all, currently using a 2TB Iomega single drive NAS.  It's been reliable and served all my needs but now running out of space so I'm looking to upgrade.

I'm not too technical and therefore not too confident about building something myself so simplicity would be the key.  As well as my movie media I've also got family photos and personal files (Word, Excel, etc) that I'd like to better protect.  I'm considering a multi-bay NAS enclosure running FreeNAS.  The enclosure I've seen is here;

http://www.ebuyer.com/430446-hp-proliant-g7-n54l-2-2ghz-microserver-ebuyer-704941-421

What I'm trying to better understand is my Raid options.  The enclosure supports Raid 0 and 1 which I think meets my needs but I was wondering if I could have two drives running with Raid 0 and two more running Raid 1?  I could then Raid 0 my media and Raid 1 my photos/personal files.

Thanks for any support.

shaefurr

No idea if thats possible, sorry.

What would be on the raid 0 array? if you have 1 drive fail in raid 0 everything on both drives will be gone, I wouldnt recommend it unless its for an OS or something easily replaced. Raid 1 is great for data backup, but you lose 1/2 your drive space, IMO raid 5 is better because you lose the least amount of drive space for redundancy, you still get increased read and write performance, and the array can still handle one drive failing without losing data.

I know the NAS you linked supports only raid 0 and 1, just wanted to throw my opinion out there.

simono5

Thank you, I wasn't aware of the limitations of Raid 0.....I don't think the set-up I outlined is the right one for me.

I will look into Raid 5 and choose a different enclosure.

Thanks again.