Procedure to wipe and reinstall

rliepins

rliepins

Hello

I am looking for a how-to on how to do a full reinstallation.  I have installed the Configuration Backup plugin, but I don't know how to do a restore once I wipe and reinstall Emby Server.

Is there a how-to on doing a clean uninstall and reinstall with the backup recovery?

To head off the eventual question, the reason for a reinstall is that I have upgraded on top of my server for several years, even since the MediaBrowser 2.x days.  I just want a fresh and clean slate.

Thanks

Hi, welcome ! What you can do is uninstall completely, then install the backup plugin and use the backup plugin config screen to restore from a saved backup.

Let us know how it goes!

• 1 month later...
StLDreiling

Hello

I am looking for a how-to on how to do a full reinstallation.  I have installed the Configuration Backup plugin, but I don't know how to do a restore once I wipe and reinstall Emby Server.

Is there a how-to on doing a clean uninstall and reinstall with the backup recovery?

To head off the eventual question, the reason for a reinstall is that I have upgraded on top of my server for several years, even since the MediaBrowser 2.x days.  I just want a fresh and clean slate.

Thanks

Did you go through with it? I'm curious about how your library is rebuilt following a clean install. I'm planning doing something similar (migrating to new hardware), so I'm planning on using Configuration Backup to restore users, plugins, settings, etc., but the backup directory doesn't seem to have a copy of the library database.

Did you go through with it? I'm curious about how your library is rebuilt following a clean install. I'm planning doing something similar (migrating to new hardware), so I'm planning on using Configuration Backup to restore users, plugins, settings, etc., but the backup directory doesn't seem to have a copy of the library database.

The backup plugin backs up your library folders and then runs a scan to populate the information into the new database.

The backup plugin backs up your library folders and then runs a scan to populate the information into the new database.

Just for clarification - it backs up the definition and configuration of your library folders.  It doesn't back up your media....

StLDreiling

Just for clarification - it backs up the definition and configuration of your library folders.  It doesn't back up your media....

lol thanks @@ebr, that's a good safety tip!

This is brilliant, guys! Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes.

StLDreiling

Sorry, Luke. New home for my Emby server. Skylake Core i3 quad-core processor, 16Gb DDR3L, 120Gb and 275Gb SSD. Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard w/ only storage-related roles installed. Fully updated, activated, joined to my network. .NET Framework 4.5.x and 4.6.x installed and updated. All library folders have been on network shares that remain unchanged.

Ran Server Configuration Backup. Copied Premier key. Spun down "old" Emby (which is still 253).

Verified unfettered access to network shares from new server, installed latest Beta build (256) on new box. Added application and port exceptions firewall. Ran "new" Emby's configuration wizard, adding only my account (w/ Connect) and no media libraries. Input Premier key so I could install the Backup plugin. Installed same (confirmed it was ver. 1.0.1.5, just as in the "old" Emby). Configured backup plugin to target network share w/ existing backups. List of recent backups populated without issue. Selected most recent to run and confirmed that I was "ok" with all existing data being overwritten.

After a few moments, I was taken to what looks like a redirect page with the "new" browser favorite link. Weird. Left it alone for about 30 minutes. Saw no appreciable hard disk activity. Clicked the link, which was just to the server dashboard. No changes whatsoever from configuration restore. Same single user (me), no libraries/plugins/scheduled tasks, etc.

Checked logs and didn't quite understand what the error was. Saw the event triggered and the location of the backup data restored accessed without issue. Thought it might be a network problem, so copied the backup set from the network share to a local drive on the "new" Emby server. Reconfigured the plugin to target the new directory. The backups populated, as before. Triggered a restore with the exact same result (only in place of the network shares, the local disk was accessed before the "access token is required" error was thrown). Those are the logs I provided.

​I wondered if this is some ownership/permissions thing. The user account that "new" Emby is running under is the same domain admin account that it was running under previously on the "old" server, and the directory attributes reflect that the account on the "new" Emby server is the owner w/ full permissions.

StLDreiling

I closed down my "new" Emby install and started up the "old" install again. I updated to the latest beta build and re-ran a configuration backup. I shut down the "old" server, spun up the "new," and attempted again to restore from the backup (thinking perhaps the version difference might've been a problem). Same result.

I think the backup restore process just needs to be a little friendlier but you just need to restart the server after restoring from a backup.

StLDreiling

We get a prompt that the server will automatically restart after restore completes. That hasn't happened for me as yet, though I have no idea whether the restore actually began at all, or when it officially failed or finished if it did.

​I shut down the server, then started the server application up at 10:24 am. At 10:25, I triggered a manual Backup, just to see what it looked like. The Scheduled Task execution appears in the log, deleting the oldest existing backup due to the 5 backup max configuration (not a problem for me). I then triggered the restore of the backup data set I wanted (not the most recent manual "test" backup). I got the same prompts and was logged out of the web UI to the screen I mentioned earlier.

​I didn't log back in, but went to the Emby-Server folder to see if anything was happening. None of the files or directories showed any changes subsequent to me triggering the restore. I opened the log file, and the only activity recorded after the time I started the restore and was logged out were some DLNA notes two minutes later. From 10:28 to 10:36, nothing else had been recorded in the log.

No errors this time. I previously created a new account with a unique name untethered to Emby Connect at this time. That seems to have solved the "access token" error message from earlier logs.

​But I don't see any activity - in the logs or within the Emby-Server directory - to suggest that the restore process has even begun.

server-63617480678.txt

StLDreiling
I'm happy to help troubleshoot this if you guys are interested, but I wanted let you know that I opted to do a selective restore, bringing over only users and library info. It worked like a charm, faster and easier than I had expected. I'll do configurations, scheduled tasks, plugins, etc. on my own.

If you can turn on debug logging and try it again at some point, that may help us figure out what went wrong.  Thanks.

Happy2Play

Tried to restore my beta over my dev install and few seconds after click okay I get "Please update your Emby bookmark to http://localhost:8096/emby/web/dashboard.html"do to redirect to "h ttp://localhost:8096/emby/ dashboard/dashboard.html", and nothing else.

Same results trying to restore dev to a portable dev.

Log only shows

2016-12-16 13:31:28.5052 Error HttpServer: Error processing request
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.1.6185.27116
	Command line: C:\Users\Media-Test\Desktop\Portable Dev\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Processor count: 4
	Program data path: C:\Users\Media-Test\Desktop\Portable Dev
	Application directory: C:\Users\Media-Test\Desktop\Portable Dev\System
	System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Unable to find the specified file.
	System.IO.FileNotFoundException
	No Stack Trace Available
plugin 1.0.1.5 Edited by Happy2Play