Large storage disks

PBzeer

Bought a Seagate 3 TB external hard drive. Copied all my movies to it. Wouldn't play them. It would start, and then freeze up.

So, did some research that said it has to be GPT, not MBR. So, converted it to GPT (thereby undoing all the time I spent copying). Recopied everything. Still the same result. On 32 bit and 64 bit laptops. Movies I copied play fine from my 1 TB externals, but not from the 3 TB drive.

Am I missing a step or something in the process? (driver is up to date)

Forgot to mention, I'm using MB2, not MBC.

Edited by PBzeer

shaefurr

Are your movies in the video_ts format, or are they avi, mp4, mkv etc? I had issues before, along with other people with external drives playing the video_ts folders, I cant remember the fix I found ill have to broswe the old forum later since search is dead.

Are your movies in the video_ts format, or are they avi, mp4, mkv etc? I had issues before, along with other people with external drives playing the video_ts folders, I cant remember the fix I found ill have to broswe the old forum later since search is dead.

Yes, I'm using the video_ts structure.

shaefurr

Well from the old forums playing a video_ts from a 3TB external was just causing black screens with no video, not freezing, but the fix for me was a firmware update on the drive from the manufacturers website, I ended up pulling the drive from the external case and putting it in my server, obviously you cant do that on a laptop though. But you can check to see if the drives firmware is up to date, I searched a few other forums and havnt really seen a good fix, just try this or that.

Here was the post http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permalinks/r/8226/34090/anyone-had-any-success-using-3tb-usb3-external-hd#34090

Edited by shaefurr

Checked the firmware, no joy. Deleted my video_ts folder for Now You See Me and copied in the MKV rip (just the movie), and that plays fine. Must be something to do with the video_ts structure.

Latchmor

Hi, If I remember correctly my brother had a similar issue. I showed him how to Share the external drive then Map the external drive as a Network Drive and it worked for him.

Right-Click the external drive in Windows Explorer > Share (or Advanced Sharing) fill in the details

Right Click My Computer > Map Network Drive fill in the details

I don't think you'd need the map drive bit if adding to MBS (don't know if you are) as you could enter the drive as \\pc-name\sharename

If just accessing the files directly I think you need the map drive part and access via the new mapped drive letter to get them to play

Cheers

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone found a resolution to this?

I have the same issue with Media Browser not having the ability to playback movies in Video_TS format from larger hard drives. 

I have tried other media programs and I have no issues with playback from the same hard drive.