Fire TV 2 vs Mi box

RanmaCanada

RanmaCanada

So looking to grab one of these to experiment with and not sure what one would best.  I do have a lot of experience with the S905X chipset and know what it will play, but I have no idea about the Amazon limitations.  The most important thing is 10bit HEVC playback, which I know the Mi box supports, and I can't seem to find any real answers about the fire tv 2 supporting it.

So my question to those of you who have both of these, which one do you like more and which one plays the most files best?

The second generation FTV can do 10b HEVC.  It can also bitstream DTS which I have not been able to get to work on the new Mi.

MSattler

So looking to grab one of these to experiment with and not sure what one would best.  I do have a lot of experience with the S905X chipset and know what it will play, but I have no idea about the Amazon limitations.  The most important thing is 10bit HEVC playback, which I know the Mi box supports, and I can't seem to find any real answers about the fire tv 2 supporting it.

So my question to those of you who have both of these, which one do you like more and which one plays the most files best?

It's really going to be decided by what you want audio wise.   Mi box still has some audio issues, and it does not have ethernet, although you can get it via the usb ethernet adapter.

I have no real issues with the Mi box since it's connected to a TV with just stereo output.  I definitely prefer the AndroidTV interface over the Amazon one.  Amazon is supposed to be switching a AndroidTV like interface.  However, I can not imagine Amazon going away from planting their add's all over their app.   That is why I will always prefer the AndroidTV interface.

For me the order of preference for players right now is:  Shield, Mi Box, Fire 2

-Marcus 

RanmaCanada

I would love to get a shield but they are so bloody expensive.  For that price I can get a used 4th gen core i5 laptop and use it instead.

The biggest thing that has turned me off from the fire tv is the menu system and that Amazon has banned the apps that fixed the stupid menu.  I figure the Mi box and the Fire TV 2 are the same price (refurb) so it's a toss up.