AC3 and Chromecast 2 = direct play instead of transcoding

Simon_Dec

Simon_Dec

Hi,

I just installed Emby on my server and when I tried to play a MKV file which contains an AC3 audio track on my Chromecast 2 I can see the video track well but I did'nt have any sound. Video is played in "Direct play" mode.

I read on Internet that there is some issues with MKV/AC3 combo on a Chromecast, but how can I ask Emby to transcode the audio track.

I attach the log file, the path of the video I tried to play is "/files/TV Shows/The Crown/Season 01/The Crown - S01E01 - Wolferton Splash.mkv".

Thanks in advance

Log.txt

Simon_Dec

Set the bitrate limit in the app to something other than auto to force a transcode.

There is no way to only transcode the audio track ?

Hi, just so I understand, the Chromecast has detected that your audio equipement supports ac3, but you're saying that in fact it doesn't and you need to convert the audio? 

Simon_Dec

Hi, just so I understand, the Chromecast has detected that your audio equipement supports ac3, but you're saying that in fact it doesn't and you need to convert the audio? 

I'm using a Chromecast 2 which is connected to my TV. Emby decided to direct play the stream to the Chromecast in AC3 and there is no sound on the TV.

Edit : I setted the bitrate lower to force transcoding. It's ok for the video track, but ffmpeg only copy the ac3 audio track so my problem is already here.

Log.txt

Edited by Simon_Dec

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, sorry, what model TV do you have? The reason we are direct playing is because we have auto-detected that your TV supports AC-3. You're saying it doesn't so we have to figure out what the best approach to resolve this is. I would like to look into your TV model to see if the auto-detected is wrong or not.

Thanks !