Xbox One Extender Support

Lee

Deathsquirrel

Better than nothing but I REALLY would prefer a MBT or win 8.1 client app port for my xbox one.  The  performance of the 360 as an extender and the various random crashes I've seen using WMC in general just made the extender a poor solution compared to a real native xbox MB client.

Deihmos

I thought the Xbox as an extender to be just to slow and buggy. A $100 bookshelf PC performed much better for WMC. 

• Like 1

MediaManXL

I thought the Xbox as an extender to be just to slow and buggy. A $100 bookshelf PC performed much better for WMC. 

Deihmos,

I completely agree with you that a $100 bookshelf PC is better--especially for stored content.  However, I'm using an extender (Ceton Echo) because of live TV issues.  I don't think there is anyway to stream live TV from my MediaCenter PC to a bookshelf PC like I can with the extender (at least not any DRM protected content.)   If there is a good way, I might pull the Atom based motherboard I have lying in a drawer out and put together a new PC for this.  I'm not in love with the Echo by any stretch of the imagination.  I haven't tried MB3 with the Echo yet.  I'm still on 2.X.

Deihmos

You really should invest in a network tuner unless you are referring to recorded drm content

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Edited by Deihmos

trooper11

I did vote for a this a while back, but I'm holding out for a native app from the MB team.

I still think that will happen eventually.  Of course, I'm hoping it sooner rather than later.

For now though, I'm actually pretty happy using the MB Server via IE on my X1.  If it worked properly with my Harmony remote, it would be perfect.

Plus, now that there is a live tv solution using the server client (allowing the X1 to access live tv), I feel like the experience already is better than the extender experience I had on the 360.

• Like 1

I did vote for a this a while back, but I'm holding out for a native app from the MB team.

I still think that will happen eventually.  Of course, I'm hoping it sooner rather than later.

For now though, I'm actually pretty happy using the MB Server via IE on my X1.  If it worked properly with my Harmony remote, it would be perfect.

Plus, now that there is a live tv solution using the server client (allowing the X1 to access live tv), I feel like the experience already is better than the extender experience I had on the 360.

can you make some videos of that?

Deathsquirrel

Only problem with playback through IE on the xbox one is that I can't get multi-channel AAC sound support.  Even after enabling the beta audio support I get stereo sound from my movies as they're all high bit rate AAC.  Otherwise I was OK doing the same thing Trooper11 described.

trooper11

can you make some videos of that?

I can try, it may be the weekend before I can do it though.  So do you guys want a kind of walk through of the process? 

I 2nd Luke's comment,

trooper11: can you make some video of what that's like?

Well if there is demand, I will give it a try. 

Only problem with playback through IE on the xbox one is that I can't get multi-channel AAC sound support.  Even after enabling the beta audio support I get stereo sound from my movies as they're all high bit rate AAC.  Otherwise I was OK doing the same thing Trooper11 described.

That's a good point.  I don't have any videos that use aac audio, but plenty of movies that are surround sound.  Let me verify if they are all forced into stereo output.

Of course, this fine for all of my tv content and of course some older movies that are in mono or stereo.