Recorded Content – Organize into Libraries

taylorbourne
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

taylorbourne

I'm not really sure if there's an issue here or I'm just misinterpreting what Emby is trying to do. In the Admin panel under Live TV -> Settings there's a checkbox that reads

Automatically organize recordings into existing series folders in other libraries

So when I record a TV show, is Emby supposed to try and move that show into my "TV Shows" library? As it is right now, I'm just seeing the show in the library Emby automatically created, "Recordings 1". 

Edit – added some logs just in case, I had the server set to record a show at 12AM. 

server.txt

record.txt

Edited by taylorbourne

mastrmind11

I know it doesn't physically move the file to your TV library folder, but I've also wondered how this is supposed to work.  I can see the show as new in Kodi so it's obviously being tagged properly in the DB, but in Emby having to go to the "Recorded" section as opposed to the TV section seems counter intuitive when this feature is turned on.

mellomade

The idea is to just have your Recorded TV Shows display within any library where your content is set to 'TV'.  The default 'Recordings' library is automatically set to content 'mixed' because Emby can record tv shows but also movies - and there has to be a way to distinguish otherwise you'd get metadata for one type but not the other.

Many people have an archived TV show ripped from media (no commercials, etc) in their TV library but also might be recording that same series OTA.  You can choose to have them displayed together with your existing series in your TV library or not.  Combined just means in the display.  Files will still be located where you set them to record.

Personally I don't want my recorded shows to be combined with my ripped ones for the same series.  I record - watch - and delete recordings.  I only archive when I want to watch a show again and want a pristine copy.

I can see the show as new in Kodi so it's obviously being tagged properly in the DB, but in Emby having to go to the "Recorded" section as opposed to the TV section seems counter intuitive when this feature is turned on.

Kodi is a separate beast altogether.  By default Kodi only understands TV Shows and Movies.  It has no idea what 'Recordings' are outside the PVR interface.  So when the Emby for Kodi add-on parses the media type - it selects either movie or tv show.  If you open the TV Shows entry from the main menu you will see all your shows regardless of their location in the Emby library structure.  

That said - Emby for Kodi does have menu nodes it creates to help with that.  But these are separate from Kodi's menu - and to access them you either have to program a custom nav menu in your skin of choice or open the add-on and drill down to the entry nodes.

No, that setting should do what you think it does.  However, it may only work with our internal TV service...

taylorbourne

The idea is to just have your Recorded TV Shows display within any library where your content is set to 'TV'.  The default 'Recordings' library is automatically set to content 'mixed' because Emby can record tv shows but also movies - and there has to be a way to distinguish otherwise you'd get metadata for one type but not the other.

No, that setting should do what you think it does.  However, it may only work with our internal TV service...

I have a library called TV shows, which has folders, metadata, etc. for the show I recorded. So you're saying when I go into the "TV Shows" library, it should show me both recorded and previously scanned in media? Because I'm not seeing any of my recorded content in that library.

mellomade

I don't think you can do it once the recordings are complete.  Once you check that box it should apply to any future recordings.

taylorbourne

I don't think you can do it once the recordings are complete.  Once you check that box it should apply to any future recordings.

Yes! The crux of my issue is this box has always been checked in my setup, and I have never seen recorded content displayed in any other library.

• Solution

This feature has been unintentionally impacted by other recently introduced features. We'll look at restoring it in a future release. Thanks.

• Like 1

taylorbourne

This feature has been unintentionally impacted by other recently introduced features. We'll look at restoring it in a future release. Thanks.

Thank you!