Was the Multiple Files for a Movie Removed?

Jobber8742

I'd love to see this added as well. I have everything ripped into folders, so re-ripping or converting everything doesn't sound appetizing, plus the menus, bonus features, etc. are all nice to have. So many movies have more than one disc these days...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi ebr, is there any update on when we might see this functionality in MBC? I'm looking forward to it!  :)

Not yet.  This isn't a feature that is needed by very many people.  We have so much better interfaces and features for your items if you combine them into single files for the movies and then separate files for special features, etc.  MBC does support special features and chapters.

freedomoffunk

I would also like to add in support back for this if possible. As someone who has many hundreds of movies, all split into separate files, only having the ability to play part 1 is stopping me from using MB3 altogether.  It seems such a shame to have to use MB2 because this feature, obviously used by quite a few people (at least according to the forums) has not been implemented.  

• Like 1

SikSlayer

+1 I too need this.

I can understand other features having priority over this, but you make it sound like it'll never be added.

Tolerant

Huh wait.. a two part movie won't play both parts in MB3-C ?? Or does someone mean when movies are combined or "grouped" in the MB3-S UI? Sorry, a bit confused but I got all sorts of movies that are at least 2 parts and it's not always easy or possible to merge them into a single physical file, at least not without possibly messing up the end result. I really hate VBR audio.

Dajeil

I am also waiting for this before I switch from MB2.

I tried joining some of my files, but, as mentioned above, it's not alway possible to join .AVI files into something that's usable.

GhostRider

If you are using MKV it is straight forward to join the MKV files.

I just encountered this situation with a movie that spans two DVDs. It was easy enough to merge the MKV files using MKVToolNix mmg GUI. If you want the best merge you can even cut off the black screen at the end of part one and start of part two for a seamless join.

I just moved the "Play All Parts" to the top of the options list so that playing a multi-part item as one from the beginning is only one extra click.  Resuming one is zero extra clicks.

Okay, turns out this is because the Chocolate Theme wasn't using the standard properties - it was calculating its own.  This probably means other themes are doing this too which may mean they won't work until updated to use the standard properties instead.

I'll fix Chocolate.

• Like 1

For those of you who haven't tried it out yet the functionality implemented is as follows:

• When you request to play an item that has multiple parts you will get a menu that will allow you to:
    • Play any part from the beginning
    • Resume any part that has a resume point
    • Play all parts in sequence as a single item
  • A multi-part item will show as Resumable if any part of that item is resumable
  • When you request to resume a multi-part item, it will resume from the first part that has a resume point
  • Run times and end times should take into account all parts
  • Chapters will show chapters from all parts in proper sequence, however, the individual parts will start over with chapter numbers
  • You can jump directly into a chapter in any part by selecting it from the chapter list

I hope this covers what everyone needs from this feature.

• Like 1

WWWestern

And why is it so difficult? Better to make it transparent to the user: the movie has a single item, regardless of whether is splitted into several parts or not, so the movie should be virtually glued together without any unnecessary and annoying questions in middle of watch. Total duration, continuous numbering of the chapters and a like.

Dajeil

Thanks ebr.

I've given this a quick test on a few of my 2 part (AVI) movies, and it's looking good so far.

One thing I did notice is that when it gives you an estimated end time (I'm running the chocolate theme) it's only picking up the running time of the first part.

IMHO that's not a deal breaker - I'm just happy to have the ability to play both parts.

And why is it so difficult? Better to make it transparent to the user: the movie has a single item, regardless of whether is splitted into several parts or not, so the movie should be virtually glued together without any unnecessary and annoying questions in middle of watch. Total duration, continuous numbering of the chapters and a like.

Because that won't work for all item types.  For movies, maybe (although the additional flexibility is not a bad thing, IMO).  But for something like a Game, you must be able to select the different parts independently.

Ah, thanks, I missed that one.

Does the running time that shows in the details include both parts?  In my testing it did.