Not able to connect to server

swehawk

I run an Emby server and one of my users can not connect from her Samsung surf pad anymore. Problem started when I changed the http port in the server to one in the high-port-range. I notified all my users, and all exept one had no problems connecting after having updated the port no. (or rather re-created the server).

Another user on the same remote LAN as the problematic surf pad can connect from his Android phone. Also, the server responds when entering http://ip:port in the webbrowser in the same surf pad. Hence, the problem is not  the LAN/router or the network interface in the surf pad!

I personally deleted all data for the Emby app from the Android control panel, and then deleted the Emby app. Then I reinstalled it from the Play Store. Upon first start the app presents my server name!!?? How can that be, since I deleted all app-data before re-installing?? I then deleted the old server and created a new one with the new port.no. Get the same "Unable to connect...." message!

Seems to me that the surf pad somehow is keeping the data with the old port.no and wont update it! Can I delete this data manually to be sure that the pad is 100% clean before reinstalling the Emby app?

I can't find anything relevant in the server log either.

Hi, welcome. Are you connecting to the server via Emby Connect or are you entering the connection information manually?

Hi Luke!

No, I don't use Emby Connect!
On a related note: I find it odd that it's not possible to wiew or edit the server parameters once a server is setup in the app!? The only option is to remove the server.

Hi Luke!

No, I don't use Emby Connect!

On a related note: I find it odd that it's not possible to wiew or edit the server parameters once a server is setup in the app!? The only option is to remove the server.

Because once you connect it will sync the internal and external addresses from server information. What you can do for manual override is just do a manual connection to whatever address you like. You don't need to delete the server.

What I would suggest now is stepping through our Connection Troubleshooter. Please try the steps listed there and let us know which ones succeed and which ones fail. Thanks !

What I would suggest now is stepping through our Connection Troubleshooter. Please try the steps listed there and let us know which ones succeed and which ones fail. Thanks !

I already tried all the steps in the Troubleshooter! It IS possible to establish a connection to the Emby-server from the web-browser in the surf-pad by entering the ip:port.no. But the Emby-app fails!

• 3 weeks later...

SOLVED :D

I took the troublesome surfpad home to my own LAN (where my server resides). Fired up the Emby app, entered the domain adress and port no. to my server, and voilá - Connected! Returned the Pad to my friend and it connected without problems on her home LAN  :D 

So - what went wrong in the first place is hard to understand? I myself tried several times at her home with no luck :blink:

When you connect to Emby Server, the server will report back to the app it's LAN and WAN addresses, so it's using that previously stored information from your friend's house. Other than that nothing is different, so I can only conclude that when you tried manually earlier you were not using the correct address.