Help debugging WMC "not responding"

zombieagain

zombieagain

Hi,

I'm having a few instability issues with my setup recently (WAF at an all time low), and one of the most annoying is that every couple of days, when I turn on the TV, the PC is not responsive. I see the desktop background, but I can move the mouse only in the right part of the screen, if I move left, the cursor disappears.

The only solution is to open task manager, that indicates windows media center as "not responding" and kill the wmc process. Everything works well after that. This never happened while actively using MB. It's usually after leaving the HTPC sitting there for many hours.

This may or may not be related to MB3, but I don't remember this happening before I upgraded to MB3 one month ago. Another thing I started using recently is the wmc slideshow screensaver but I'm not sure if it can cause this issue. I disabled it for now and see if the issue comes up again.

Any ideas on how to go about debugging? Does WMC have a log?

Thanks!

Logos302

I would start with looking at the event log and see if there are errors in there.  Some screen savers can have issues with some video drivers.  

Do you put your machine to sleep with WMC running?  If so, that could be the issue.  Google "MCE Standby tool" and install that.

• 2 weeks later...
zombieagain

Hi, I just want to give an update on this. I did disable the WMC slideshow screen saver and I haven't had any problem with the program "not responding" for the last couple of weeks. My hunch is that the issue had to do with the large number of high resolution pictures that were in the folder WMC uses for the slideshow.

My machine is always on.

Thanks!