Anyone with Time Warner Cable?

Koleckai Silvestri

Koleckai Silvestri

Thinking of getting an account with Time Warner Cable in order to make LiveTV available as well as to stream to the Roku with their TWC Now! app and channel. They currently have a $30/month package which includes HBO. The cable card is $2.50 a month on top of that but that is better than $32/month for their DVR. Anyway, was wondering if anyone was using their Cablecard solution and how it is working for them.

I would probably pair the cable card with the HDHomerun Prime which gives three tuners.

AgileHumor

I have TW. Works well, but a couple things.

You will need a SDV unit (about the size of a small cable box) with your cablecard.  I use the Ceton InfiniTV as the CableCard SDV tuner support was a little better and they had Windows 8 support at the time I purchased.  Setup will be: Cable Signal <-> SDV Tuner <-> Ceton CableCard Tuner or HD HomeRun Prime <-> Media Center

Don't forget:

• All digital HD channels, except basic ClearQAM (CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, and PBS) will be encrypted and not streamable via MB3, You can schedule them via the Web Guide in MB3 and then watch them later in your Windows Media Center PC.   Even if a program is recorded on ABC, if the tuner is configured for cable card, it will be encrypted (at least with Ceton). 
  • You can't have a ClearQAM (unencrypted) channels on the same tuner as CableCard.  http://cetoncorp.com/infinitv_support/faq/ 

So you may want a Ceton for CableCard for your HTPC.   For ClearQam basic channels (that can be streamed via MB3), a HD HomeRun (non Prime/cablecard) network tuner...or any low cost ATSC tuner (USB or PCI) that will support WMC and ClearQAM will work fine. 

If you don't care about HD, and just want the most channels, a non-DVR setup box from the cable company (cheaper than DVR) can be used with a PCI based Windows Media Center tuner/IR blaster like the WinTV-HVR-2250 http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr2250.html. You will be limited to 480i analog encoded vs unmodified HDTV digital 720p or 1080p signals...but that may be swell for a smartphone or tablet. Also alot of stuff needed near your PC.  Cable Signal <-> Set Top Box <-> IR Blaster/Analog Tuner <-> Media Center.

Also, if you just want streamable channels, a HD HomeRun (non Prime/cablecard) network tuner...or any low cost ATSC tuner (USB or PCI) that will support WMC and ClearQAM will work fine.  Setup will be Cable Signal -> HDTV Tuner -> Windows Media Center 

Edited by AgileHumor