Photo

Live TV not working on Roku

Best Answer ray2357 , 19 November 2016 - 09:57 PM

I just checked one of my Streaming Sticks that is on 7.5 and was not working. It has updated to 7.5.0 build 4099-24 and live is now working

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#41 mediacowboy OFFLINE  

mediacowboy

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 1800 posts
  • Local time: 03:39 PM
  • LocationTexas, United States

Posted 09 November 2016 - 03:23 PM

Roku Firmware: 7.2.0 Build 4139-04
Emby Server: 3.1.6156.26741
SD homerun Prime:
Old - 20160617
New - 20161107b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#42 tpneumat OFFLINE  

tpneumat

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:06 PM

Roku Firmware: 7.2.0 Build 4139-04
Emby Server: 3.1.6156.26741
SD homerun Prime:
Old - 20160617
New - 20161107b

Hi @mediacowboy.  Your Roku Firmware is same as our working Firmware (7.2) so updating HD Homerun Firmware cannot be a confirmed fix.  If you update your roku to 7.5, then we would know for sure.   

I had a plan to test this theory.  I updated my HD Homerun from Firmware: 20150826 to Firmware: 20161107b.  Then, I wanted to upgrade my Roku to 7.5 again.  However,  now when I go to System Update, the only available update is 7.2 which I already have.  I wonder if Roku has now pulled the 7.5 out of being the latest version?  Or, is being stuck on 7.2 is an artifact of doing the downgrade.  So, please BE WARNED--I am not clear on this point as of yet, but it could be possible that the downgrade is 'permanent' or at least there is no simple/clear path to re-upgrading the Roku to be found right now.  It may fix the Live TV, but it means we aren't getting whatever latest changes Roku has produced for 7.5.

#43 tlsimpson OFFLINE  

tlsimpson

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:08 PM

I can also confirm rollback of Roku Firmware restores Live TV with the latest Emby server and App. Thanks to tpneumat for the "Secret Screen" codes. Didn't want to mess with the other options on that screen but what do they do?

-Terry

#44 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 3958 posts
  • Local time: 01:39 PM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:38 PM

I had a plan to test this theory. I updated my HD Homerun from Firmware: 20150826 to Firmware: 20161107b. Then, I wanted to upgrade my Roku to 7.5 again. However, now when I go to System Update, the only available update is 7.2 which I already have. I wonder if Roku has now pulled the 7.5 out of being the latest version? Or, is being stuck on 7.2 is an artifact of doing the downgrade. So, please BE WARNED--I am not clear on this point as of yet, but it could be possible that the downgrade is 'permanent' or at least there is no simple/clear path to re-upgrading the Roku to be found right now. It may fix the Live TV, but it means we aren't getting whatever latest changes Roku has produced for 7.5.

I believe you can go back to that same secret screen then it will list 7.5 as the firmware it will apply if you are on 7.2.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

#45 mediacowboy OFFLINE  

mediacowboy

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 1800 posts
  • LocationTexas, United States

Posted 09 November 2016 - 06:26 PM

I've never gotten the 7.5 update. That's why I updated the HD firmware.

#46 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 13789 posts
  • Local time: 01:39 PM
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 09 November 2016 - 06:29 PM

I've never gotten the 7.5 update. That's why I updated the HD firmware.

Since some of us are on the beta 7.2 (4139) we will probably last to receive 7.5.

#47 AmericanMike OFFLINE  

AmericanMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Local time: 04:39 PM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 06:59 PM

Hi @mediacowboy.  Your Roku Firmware is same as our working Firmware (7.2) so updating HD Homerun Firmware cannot be a confirmed fix.  If you update your roku to 7.5, then we would know for sure.   

I had a plan to test this theory.  I updated my HD Homerun from Firmware: 20150826 to Firmware: 20161107b.  Then, I wanted to upgrade my Roku to 7.5 again.  However,  now when I go to System Update, the only available update is 7.2 which I already have.  I wonder if Roku has now pulled the 7.5 out of being the latest version?  Or, is being stuck on 7.2 is an artifact of doing the downgrade.  So, please BE WARNED--I am not clear on this point as of yet, but it could be possible that the downgrade is 'permanent' or at least there is no simple/clear path to re-upgrading the Roku to be found right now.  It may fix the Live TV, but it means we aren't getting whatever latest changes Roku has produced for 7.5.

I went to the System Update screen under the normal Settings menu and was given the option to update to 7.5 even though my system check for an update this morning and didn't act on it.  However I didn't update because I love my Live TV right now.

#48 Vitale4 OFFLINE  

Vitale4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:46 PM

Yesterday, everything worked fine -- so I decided to see what would happen if I updated each device...  this is how it breaks down:

1. updated Beta version for HDHR Prime to the latest version...

EMBY Server: Version 3.0.8500.0

HDHR Firmware Version: 20161107B

ROKU Version: 7.2.0.4.100

Works without issues

2. Then upgraded ROKU firmware back to problem one...

ROKU Version: 7.5.0.4096

Did not works -- Same Issue as reported

3. reverted back ROKU firmware...

ROKU Version: 7.2.0.4100-04

Worked without issue - can stream LiveTV

So the issue is indeed with the ROKU firmware version 7.5

#49 Vitale4 OFFLINE  

Vitale4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:01 PM

Just tested on my Sharp ROKU TV.  The version of ROKU on the actual TV is 72.4143.  does not update to 75.xx.  Was able to stream LiveTV from Emby without issue.

Edited by Vitale4, 11 November 2016 - 12:31 PM.

#50 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124162 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:47 AM

Just tested on my LG ROKU TV.  The version of ROKU on the actual TV is 72.4143.  does not update to 75.xx.  Was able to stream LiveTV from Emby without issue.

Great info, thanks !

#51 Sam865 OFFLINE  

Sam865

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 01:32 PM

I started to post in the Roku forum, but decided not to - since others (including you) had already posted about the problem.  

I decided to post in the main forum about the problem to hopefully get the attention of Luke (and others) about the problem.

On your recommendation, I will also post in the Roku forum.

Thanks for all that you do!

I have five roku devices, (Roku 2, Roku 3 original, two Roku 3 new version (with voice search), and a TCL Roku TV. I started experiencing this exact same problem about three or four days ago on one of the new version Roku 3 devices. I have spent hours eliminating possible causes such as ethernet cables, HDMI cables, unmanaged switches, etc. I even went so far as to move the Roku to a different TV, and the problem persisted. Then I noticed that the problem has "spread" to two other Roku devices. When I discovered this problem on the forum, I checked the Roku firmware version on all five Roku devices. The three that no longer work with streaming live TV ALL have software version 7.5, while the two that are still working are version 7.2. (One of these two that still work is the TCL Roku TV. If it updates to version 7.5, I suspect that the TV will become a "brick" until the problem gets fixed.

I also have a question for the forum moderators: I can find ffmpg-transcoding and server log files on the Emby server, but I can't find server-side copies of the debug files that are apparently stored locally on the Roku devices. I can read the debug files on the client device screen, but I can't find them on the Emby server and, thus, can't upload files to the forum. How can I do this?

#52 Vitale4 OFFLINE  

Vitale4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 08:03 PM

I added an entry in the ROKU Forums: https://forums.roku....hp?f=28&t=97331

Hopefully I will hear something from them as well.  If I get a reply, I will post.  If you review what I put on the ROKU Forum and notice I left something out, please let me know so I can correct.

thanks

Edited by Vitale4, 10 November 2016 - 08:03 PM.

#53 dmcneil OFFLINE  

dmcneil

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:04 PM

Experiencing the same issue.   Only when I try to update the software on my Roku 3, it does not offer 7.2, only 7.5 to 7.5.  Any tips?

#54 AmericanMike OFFLINE  

AmericanMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:15 PM

Experiencing the same issue.   Only when I try to update the software on my Roku 3, it does not offer 7.2, only 7.5 to 7.5.  Any tips?

Tonight I just noticed that one of the Roku 3's I rolled back the other day have now updated again to 7.5 and will not work.  When I went into the Secret Menu I have the same choice as @dmcneil, to only go from 7.5 to 7.5 now.  Only effects Live TV, all other functionality checks out.

As a backup I have a Simple.TV box (an original) and it is working fine.

#55 Vitale4 OFFLINE  

Vitale4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 10:52 PM

Interesting -- I will need to monitor that.  My ROKU 3 still has the 7.2 version on it...

#56 tlsimpson OFFLINE  

tlsimpson

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 12:44 PM

Confirming my Roku 3 has auto updated to 7.5 and the Secret Screen rollback option is no longer available. Are there other hacks for Roku? Glad this forum is active, and also hope that Roku has been made aware that their update broke things.

#57 AmericanMike OFFLINE  

AmericanMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 01:26 PM

so I gotta ask.....and hopefully can get a high level answer.  On my system I use NextPVR to communicate with my Hauppauge card.  I see that when I record TV for later playback there is a .ts file created and it plays back on Emby with no issues.  I know there is magic happening with transcoding etc, but would think this process is the same for Live TV yet that does not work.

I am sure there is more to it so please educate me but be kind. :)

#58 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 124162 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:49 PM

@speechles i'm going to look for a temporary workaround we can use while waiting for a fix from Roku. I haven't had a chance to test yet but one idea is using mkv as the transcoding format instead of HLS, but only when item.Type = TvChannel. I'm guessing the Roku issue is probably related to live HLS streams.

• drewtlo likes this

#59 Vitale4 OFFLINE  

Vitale4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:27 PM

I posted to the ROKU Forum and there is a lot of feedback but no fixes yet.  ROKU is now asking for the model, Serial, and SW build of the ROKU being used.  So maybe we go there attention.  

Someone posted this in a different forum: "This buffering problem has been around for years and RP isn't the only channel affected." - so it could be a buffering issue...

The Link to the ROKU Forum is: https://forums.roku....hp?f=28&t=97331

The Link to the Forum mentioned where other apps are experiencing the same issues: https://forums.roku....=543723#p543190

#60 drewtlo OFFLINE  

drewtlo

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:36 AM

@speechles i'm going to look for a temporary workaround we can use while waiting for a fix from Roku. I haven't had a chance to test yet but one idea is using mkv as the transcoding format instead of HLS, but only when item.Type = TvChannel. I'm guessing the Roku issue is probably related to live HLS streams.

Thanks for all that you do, Luke! Is there any way to beta test? If you're looking for testers, that is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users