Live TV not working on Roku

AmericanMike
Go to solution Solved by ray2357,

I was able to get things working again by downgrading firmware. 

Press:

Home ... 5 times

FF ....... 3 times

RW ...... 2 times

Then select 'Update Software'

It'll display the firmware version currently installed, and the version you can switch to.

582203a5930cb_IMG_5125.jpg

Kudos to tpneumat, for detailing how to get to the get to a screen to allow one to rollback the firmware in the Roku!!!

I will try that this afternoon.  I wish that I knew the "button pushing" scheme last week. 

Haven't been able to see any live news for the past several days and tired of watching recorded shows.

We certainly want to watch the election results tonight. 

Vitale4

I am going to try this tonight when I get home...  Is ROKU trying to get rid of the LiveTV streaming?  I has worked great for over a year now and then the update occurred - was not sure if it was EMBY or ROKU.

I will post if this works for me as well....

I will also make sure or try to turn off autoupdates in ROKU.

Happy2Play

I am going to try this tonight when I get home...  Is ROKU trying to get rid of the LiveTV streaming?  I has worked great for over a year now and then the update occurred - was not sure if it was EMBY or ROKU.

I will post if this works for me as well....

I will also make sure or try to turn off autoupdates in ROKU.

I would suspect just a firmware bug, just like the 4gb file size limit in 7.2.

I would suspect just a firmware bug, just like the 4gb file size limit in 7.2.

It has something to do with m3u8 and live streaming. Other roku channels have the same problem and users are starting to chime in with 7.5 issues that sound suspiciously like ours here. More are appearing in the general roku group than the developer side. This is normal since it takes a user to find the problem to tell the developer to fix it.

Every major roku app will livestream this from their camera positions. I think by default CNN gets the best angles. Youtube has lots of damn commercials than any other. NBC and CBS carry the streams too. So there are other ways to at least, watch that with a roku. HEH

Where I live we voted by mail several weeks ago. Gonna see if we make america great again, or let a criminal run the country. Time will tell. :)

Vitale4

I just the roll back and LiveTV streaming is working again.  Great find tpneumat.

Now to figure out how to turn off auto update on the Roku

mjktg99

@@mjktg99 can you use the blue neon app, and enable debug in preferences, then recreate the issue. Afterwards go back to the homescreen and use the "debug logs" button. Now scroll down until you see where ::roVideoScreen text appears. When it says isRequestFailed what does it say the message is after that?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

@@speechles I'm not seeing that in the log. Does the log reset after you exit the app and go back in? When this error occurs, hitting ok or the back button on the timeout error causes the app to close and go back to the roku home screen. Edited by mjktg99

mediacowboy

I had this issue as well using the old firmware. I did a firmware update on my HD home run prime and all is back to working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy2Play

I had this issue as well using the old firmware. I did a firmware update on my HD home run prime and all is back to working.

Can you list version numbers.

mediacowboy

Can you list version numbers.

I will get these posted sometime today. Sorry I didn't last night the TV was working and I was watching the election.

farside847

Just adding that live TV fails for me too on my roku3.

Is there something that emby can do to fix, or will this be broken until the next roku firmware?

Kudos to tpneumat, for detailing how to get to the get to a screen to allow one to rollback the firmware in the Roku!!!

I will try that this afternoon.  I wish that I knew the "button pushing" scheme last week. 

Haven't been able to see any live news for the past several days and tired of watching recorded shows.

Yea!  Now we can see LIVE TV again!

mediacowboy

Roku Firmware: 7.2.0 Build 4139-04

Emby Server: 3.1.6156.26741

SD homerun Prime:

Old - 20160617

New - 20161107b

tpneumat

Roku Firmware: 7.2.0 Build 4139-04

Emby Server: 3.1.6156.26741

SD homerun Prime:

Old - 20160617

New - 20161107b

Hi @@mediacowboy.  Your Roku Firmware is same as our working Firmware (7.2) so updating HD Homerun Firmware cannot be a confirmed fix.  If you update your roku to 7.5, then we would know for sure.   

I had a plan to test this theory.  I updated my HD Homerun from Firmware: 20150826 to Firmware: 20161107b.  Then, I wanted to upgrade my Roku to 7.5 again.  However,  now when I go to System Update, the only available update is 7.2 which I already have.  I wonder if Roku has now pulled the 7.5 out of being the latest version?  Or, is being stuck on 7.2 is an artifact of doing the downgrade.  So, please BE WARNED--I am not clear on this point as of yet, but it could be possible that the downgrade is 'permanent' or at least there is no simple/clear path to re-upgrading the Roku to be found right now.  It may fix the Live TV, but it means we aren't getting whatever latest changes Roku has produced for 7.5.

tlsimpson

I can also confirm rollback of Roku Firmware restores Live TV with the latest Emby server and App. Thanks to tpneumat for the "Secret Screen" codes. Didn't want to mess with the other options on that screen but what do they do?

-Terry

I had a plan to test this theory. I updated my HD Homerun from Firmware: 20150826 to Firmware: 20161107b. Then, I wanted to upgrade my Roku to 7.5 again. However, now when I go to System Update, the only available update is 7.2 which I already have. I wonder if Roku has now pulled the 7.5 out of being the latest version? Or, is being stuck on 7.2 is an artifact of doing the downgrade. So, please BE WARNED--I am not clear on this point as of yet, but it could be possible that the downgrade is 'permanent' or at least there is no simple/clear path to re-upgrading the Roku to be found right now. It may fix the Live TV, but it means we aren't getting whatever latest changes Roku has produced for 7.5.

I believe you can go back to that same secret screen then it will list 7.5 as the firmware it will apply if you are on 7.2.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mediacowboy

I've never gotten the 7.5 update. That's why I updated the HD firmware.

Happy2Play

I've never gotten the 7.5 update. That's why I updated the HD firmware.

Since some of us are on the beta 7.2 (4139) we will probably last to receive 7.5.

AmericanMike

Hi @@mediacowboy.  Your Roku Firmware is same as our working Firmware (7.2) so updating HD Homerun Firmware cannot be a confirmed fix.  If you update your roku to 7.5, then we would know for sure.   

I had a plan to test this theory.  I updated my HD Homerun from Firmware: 20150826 to Firmware: 20161107b.  Then, I wanted to upgrade my Roku to 7.5 again.  However,  now when I go to System Update, the only available update is 7.2 which I already have.  I wonder if Roku has now pulled the 7.5 out of being the latest version?  Or, is being stuck on 7.2 is an artifact of doing the downgrade.  So, please BE WARNED--I am not clear on this point as of yet, but it could be possible that the downgrade is 'permanent' or at least there is no simple/clear path to re-upgrading the Roku to be found right now.  It may fix the Live TV, but it means we aren't getting whatever latest changes Roku has produced for 7.5.

I went to the System Update screen under the normal Settings menu and was given the option to update to 7.5 even though my system check for an update this morning and didn't act on it.  However I didn't update because I love my Live TV right now.

Vitale4

Yesterday, everything worked fine -- so I decided to see what would happen if I updated each device...  this is how it breaks down:

1. updated Beta version for HDHR Prime to the latest version...

EMBY Server: Version 3.0.8500.0

HDHR Firmware Version: 20161107B

ROKU Version: 7.2.0.4.100

Works without issues

2. Then upgraded ROKU firmware back to problem one...

ROKU Version: 7.5.0.4096

Did not works -- Same Issue as reported

3. reverted back ROKU firmware...

ROKU Version: 7.2.0.4100-04

Worked without issue - can stream LiveTV

So the issue is indeed with the ROKU firmware version 7.5

Vitale4

Just tested on my Sharp ROKU TV.  The version of ROKU on the actual TV is 72.4143.  does not update to 75.xx.  Was able to stream LiveTV from Emby without issue.

Edited by Vitale4

Just tested on my LG ROKU TV.  The version of ROKU on the actual TV is 72.4143.  does not update to 75.xx.  Was able to stream LiveTV from Emby without issue.

Great info, thanks !