Crystal v1.0.10.2 is now live

leedavies

leedavies

Minor tweaks following the recent 1.0.10.0 release, including:

• Minor visual enhancements following the 1.0.10.0 release
  • Scrollers and cover rendering has been optimized a little more
  • Thumb view improved
  • Navigation up to top toolbar and back down again fixed - was hard to get down from the toolbar
  • CTRL-R refresh on EHS tiles now working again - only worked on the Random tile

• Like 2

I have a question Lee - I am a big fan of Crystal but I find it to hang too much. I am not talking about crash but just not fluid enough. Sometimes it hangs for a while in the EHS when I browse different collections, others when I try to load a specific collection content or browse the content of a collection (I am using the view where two lines of covers shows up, not sure about the name).

I briefly tested Breeze and it is a much faster theme running on the same machine. But I still prefer the look of Crystal. Anything planned to improve overall perf on Crystal? Would a log help?

• Like 1

leedavies

I have a question Lee - I am a big fan of Crystal but I find it to hang too much. I am not talking about crash but just not fluid enough. Sometimes it hangs for a while in the EHS when I browse different collections, others when I try to load a specific collection content or browse the content of a collection (I am using the view where two lines of covers shows up, not sure about the name).

I briefly tested Breeze and it is a much faster theme running on the same machine. But I still prefer the look of Crystal. Anything planned to improve overall perf on Crystal? Would a log help?

Interesting feedback.

As I've developed more themes, I've discovered lots of performance optimizations.  It sounds like maybe Breeze has more optimizations than Crystal - I'll take a look and bring Crystal up-to-date.

Thanks for the heads-up!

• Like 1

Hi Lee, good to read you have found some issues that might lead to performance issues. The same behaviour as Careca sees, I also experience. When I scroll through my collection the first covers are showed very fast, but than the scrolling becomes very slow and starts to stutter eventually. So any improvements are welcome! :-)

Love the look of Crystal the best of all themes, go back to it with each update; however, no version has yet worked without locking up MBC.

Still hopeful this continuing issue will be fixed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

newfiend

Ya I have had it crash in MBC as well.. I also have box sets set up and if I try and change the view in the box sets it locks up then too. I really like this theme and keep coming back to it, hopefully the little bugs get worked out in the next update.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Edited by newfiend

leedavies

Love the look of Crystal the best of all themes, go back to it with each update; however, no version has yet worked without locking up MBC.

Still hopeful this continuing issue will be fixed.

Hi

Could you be specific about what sequence of steps causes a crash?  Is it every time?

Which view style(s) are affected?  Is it only when a collection/folder contains a certain number of items (e.g. 100 or more)?  Is the crash on loading, before you get chance to scroll through the items, or is it after you've scrolled through say 20 or whatever one at a time, or is it after you hold down the left/right key/button for 15 seconds and then it hangs etc?

Need some details to pin this down.

Ta!

newfiend

Hey Lee,

I'm not in front of my PC ATM but I have had it crash on the EHS, I set the EHS to list view so if I click on recent items it used to give me a list of recently added items to my collection. If I do this now it throws an error. If I change it back to item view instead of list then it works fine.

If I launch my box sets from the EHS it's fine ( I use detail view), but if I try and sort a specific box set movie by year etc. it will crash there as well. I have been using the latest release of server software and upgraded to the dev build last night to see if it made any difference but it still crashes in both locations for me in Crystal.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Edited by newfiend

Lee,

My library is set up with collections that are mostly genres (Family, Action, Comedy, Drama...).  Most collections have between 20-60 items.  Crystal locks most typically during scrolling within a collection.  I typically scroll one-item-at-a-time, rather than press and hold.  Lockups seem random and not repeatable.

I could go back to Crystal and save a log after a lockup if necessary, but at the moment I'm using Aztec.

leedavies

Lee,

My library is set up with collections that are mostly genres (Family, Action, Comedy, Drama...).  Most collections have between 20-60 items.  Crystal locks most typically during scrolling within a collection.  I typically scroll one-item-at-a-time, rather than press and hold.  Lockups seem random and not repeatable.

I could go back to Crystal and save a log after a lockup if necessary, but at the moment I'm using Aztec.

Great info, thanks.  So we're not talking huge collections of items and we're not talking data bandwidth problems as you're not hammering the MBC client by holding down the scroll key.  You mentioned Detail view in an earlier post - is that the only view you use?

Have you tried other views to see if you get the same behaviour?  And, if so, whether all views do it around the same time/action, or whether there's any differences in behaviour in some views?

I am currently upgrading Crystal, ROC and Breeze with all the new performance optimizations that went into Aztec.  If you find Aztec is working fine for you, it may be that this next round of updates for my first 3 themes will fix your Crystal problems.

I'll get Crystal upgraded to Aztec's level first and ping you a URL for a pre-release test version so you can give it a try and see.

Meanwhile, if you could post answers to the questions about views etc, that would be fantastic!

Thanks!

Aztec, Roc and Breeze have not had the lockup issue.

Views: Detail for TV series. Coverflow or Thumbstrip for movies.

On my case, it doesn't crash but hangs a lot. It happens in EHS and when I try to browse movie collections. My main collection is larger - around 500 items - using poster wall.

A few times it hangs for a long time and MC throws a dialog box asking if I want to close MB. But if I wait longer, it usually comes back.

As others said, Breeze doesn't display any of those issues, but Crystal is nicer :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
darengibo

Hi Lee,

I have Breeze, ROC and Crystal..  paid for all as they are great!    

One issue, is with latest upgrade MBC, Crystal now showing as trial expired.  I have supporter key entered in dashboard..  any idea how to fix? 

thanks!

leedavies

On my case, it doesn't crash but hangs a lot. It happens in EHS and when I try to browse movie collections. My main collehiction is larger - around 500 items - using poster wall.

A few times it hangs for a long time and MC throws a dialog box asking if I want to close MB. But if I wait longer, it usually comes back.

As others said, Breeze doesn't display any of those issues, but Crystal is nicer :-)

There's a Crystal update coming in the next few days with some performance improvements so see how it works once you have this new version.

I'll PM you a download link shortly for a pre-release build so you can send me any feedback etc.

There's a Crystal update coming in the next few days with some performance improvements so see how it works once you have this new version.

I'll PM you a download link shortly for a pre-release build so you can send me any feedback etc.

sure Lee. Just let me know when ready and I can validate it for you.

Crystal 1.0.10.2 seems more stable (fewer crashes); however, scrolling through items in the library remains troublesome.  Stepping through an item at a time (one button-press/wait-a-moment/another button-press...) results in related images and art being out-of-sync.  That is, images and art for one item persist no matter how many items beyond it I scroll.  This happens with press-and-hold scrolling as well, of course.

intel core i5-2500k at 3.3GHz with 8Gb RAM. 

53177ae4720b3_Knipsel.jpgHi Lee, it seems that the performance issues I had with Crystal were caused by some beta version of the videocard driver I had installed  :wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko: .
After installing the latest official drivers the issues I had were gone!  :)

However I noticed something another issue was still present, namely that sometimes not all covers are shown in the coverview. The reflections of the covers are there, but not the covers itself (like you see in above picture).

When I enter a movie, of which I see no cover, and go back again the covers are present.

Do you recognize this one? (I see this one on all my client PC's)

Edit: fixed some typo's

Edited by 1972

Above cover problem is fixed!!!  :) 

As a test I have replaced the AMD HD5450 512MB silent videocard with a NVIDEA GT640 2GB Silent card and I don't see the issue anymore.

So I think the 5450 card was not capable to handle the graphics right.

Edit:

Sorry, reacted too quick. Problem is still there, even after changing videocards... 

Edited by 1972

• 3 months later...
FlyGuyAZ

I have the same problem with disappearing/reappearing posters in coverflow. No crashing but the navigation seems a bit off too.

Edited by FlyGuyAZ

Tester

Yeah, same exact problem for me.. I think every time a new item is added, the covers disappear/appear..  Nav still flacky

I finally had enough and stopped using this theme, I am hoping the next big release from Lee solves these issues, I have faith

• Like 1

leedavies

A beta version of Crystal 1.0.11.0 is now live.  Set your update level to beta and you'll be prompted to download it.

Changes include:

Navigation fixes

Coverflow covers disappearing now fixed???

Status box popup images now appear correctly

Background media options removed

Please post feedback here.