Emby Server Does Not Start After Power Failure

bulentaltan
Go to solution Solved by solabc16,

bulentaltan

Note: I split this content from 'Emby on Xpenology keeps stopping after short time' as the cause is different and the information here will be useful to others and likely have been lost otherwise - @solabc16.

So I am getting the same error on my real Synology 1813+ with DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 2. Since I can't start Emby Server I had to run the diagnostics without Emby Server running. Sorry about that. As for the failure it happens constantly with the stop_start log file also growing constantly, also attached. It started about two days ago...

Start Stop Log:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxtUAVWX0fl0ZUtCWkNFNVp4VWs

Diagnostic File

sendlogs_RNBHDD_synology_cedarview_1813+_20161104T195440UTC.tgz

Just as a reference moving the sync14.db file to a temporary file didn't fix my issue. Couldn't uninstall any plug-ins since I can't get into Emby Server.

Thanks

- Bulent

Edited by solabc16

solabc16

Hello @@bulentaltan

I've just taken a look at your logs, there's is something different going on with your system.

Can you do the following:-

SSH to your NAS as admin
Post the output of : ls -l /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/embysvr.pid
Post the output of : cat /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/embysvr.pid

Is there anything in particular that you recall happening a couple of days ago when it stopped working?

- James

bulentaltan

Hi @solabc16 

I did as you said ant the output is

-rw-r--r-- 1 embysvr users 6 Nov  3 07:30 /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/embysvr.pid

As far as things that have happened here is the listing of events I have from my Synology:

Consistency check of volume 1 () on RNBHDD is complete
12 hours ago
Package Center
"Emby Server" is successfully updated.
19 hours ago
Package Center
"Hyper Backup Vault" is successfully updated.
19 hours ago
System Event
RNBHDD experienced an improper shutdown
2 days ago
Package Center
"Emby Server" is ready for update. Click here to launch Package Center and update the package(s).
2 days ago
Package Center
"Emby Server" is ready for update. Click here to launch Package Center and update the package(s).
3 days ago
Package Center
"VPN Server" is successfully updated.
3 days ago
Package Center
"Text Editor" is successfully updated.
3 days ago
Package Center
"PHP 5.6" is successfully updated.
3 days ago
Package Center
"Hyper Backup" is successfully updated.
3 days ago
Package Center
4 days ago
Package Center
"Emby Server" is successfully updated.
2016-10-22 09:27:46
Package Center
"Emby Server" is ready for update. Click here to launch Package Center and update the package(s)

Besides that I hadn't been using the server in the last 5 days.

solabc16

Hi @@bulentaltan

Thanks for the above, do you know what the cause of the "RNBHDD experienced an improper shutdown" was?

That would likely explain what I have seen in some of the log files.

If possible, can you post the file /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/embysvr.pid somewhere? (e.g. Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.)

- James

EDIT: If you need to get the file somewhere easier to access first, you can copy it to any Shared Folder you have setup on your system.

e.g. From an SSH session: cp /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/embysvr.pid /volume1/MySharedFolder
Edited by solabc16

bulentaltan

Ok following up some of the comments below I did the following. I stopped the Emby Server from the Synology Package Center and moved the PID file to a different backup location. Then I restarted the server and it did come back up. Generated a new PID file with the following content:

# cat /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/embysvr.pid

Edited by bulentaltan

• Solution
solabc16

Hi @@bulentaltan

Well done, glad to hear you've got yourself back up and running.

I suspected this is what we would need to do, but I wanted to make sure we understood the issue first, by grabbing the existing file.

As with the logs I looked at, as a result of the power cut there were file system inconsistencies, which are due to Synology using 'writeback' mode for volumes.

grep "volume" /proc/mounts
/dev/md2 /volume1 ext4 rw,relatime,journal_checksum,synoacl,data=writeback,jqfmt=vfsv0,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group 0 0

writeback mode: In data=writeback mode, ext4 does not journal data at all. This mode provides
a similar level of journaling as that of XFS, JFS, and ReiserFS in its default mode - metadata
journaling. A crash+recovery can cause incorrect data to appear in files which were written
shortly before the crash. This mode will typically provide the best ext4 performance.

This is the content of the embysvr.pid file from your system:-

581db2b3bad5b_NUL_embysvr_pid.png

I'll make some changes that will be included in the next package release to make sure we can recover from this gracefully and transparently.

- James

Edited by solabc16