WTV Transcode

bmoses

Is there a way we can get a setting/option to always force WTV files to transcode? Every update you guys do pushes more and more towards trying to direct stream everything, which is great and all, but WTV files always seem to have issues. They always work fine when transcoding though. I would love to have a way to choose to always transcode certain file types, especially WTV files. 

My parents setup is on the latest stable and when they try and play WTV files they always try and direct stream but fail. I'm on the latest betas and sometimes they play (direct stream) and sometimes they don't. Sometimes i even have to hit play a few times before they will actually play. Then if they do play they are always stuttering, presumably because the nexus player can't fully handle them.

I've sort of worked around it by installing VLC player and telling emby to use an external player for videos. even VLC faces stuttering issues but the big problem with using VLC is no resume option. 

So basically this would all go away if i could always force these files to transcode.

When they fail do they automatically retry with transcoding? That is what is supposed to happen

its not on either of our systems. they get an error message saying "player error encountered will retry" but it never plays. mine looks like its going to play for a second and then goes right back to the screen you hit play one. sometimes on mine if i retry a few times it will start playing direct stream but then stutters really bad.

epayson85

FYI the Nexus player handles them PERFECTLY. It's the player. The issues you describe happens on all of my devices. (I have nexus, mi box, firetv, ftvstick, and shield) I use kodi with serverwmc now for my recordings and live tv. Everything plays perfectly and it even reads my commercial skip files. I never hear the gf complain anymore it's great lol. I only use Emby livetv / recordings if I'm outside my house now. Also VLC works perfectly on those devices so if you see stuttering it's your connection. WTV files are a high bitrate so you need a stable connection. Ac5ghz SHOULD get the job done but I always recommend hard wiring.

@@bmoses - if you have access to the beta can you please try these on the latest one (.73)?  Thanks.

just tried an episode on .73 (not sure if it matters but server was beta .210) turned off using external player so it was using the internal one, tried an episode of "ellen" and the display showed "direct/V". got a fraction of a second of audio after hitting play before it went back to the screen you hit play from. tried several times and same thing each time. sent a log after trying, username moses.

fyi - just sent another log. i tried some episodes of real housewives or orange county, all of them played as "direct/V". i also tried some other ellen episodes, a few of them did play fine and one other one did the same thing as i posted above, sent another log with all of those attempts.

ok, some more observations, i updated the server to beta .211 and then retested. I tried all of the Ellen episodes i did before first and none of them worked. i then went into the real housewives ones and it did work, so i went back to the ellen ones and the ones that i had just tried that didn't work were working, except for a couple that still didn't work. i did notice on the server dashboard that it starts out saying transcoding on there before it either fails or switches to direct play. 

The problem is that it isn't causing an error in VLC.  Instead, it is telling it that the item has ended.

Obviously, this is some sort of pseudo random situation maybe related to data transfer or some other unknown factor since it is not consistent even with the same item.

epayson85

so just for sh*ts and giggles I tried using emby again on android with my WTV recordings and they are all working perfectly.  Even the ones that use to do exactly as being described here.  I remember ebr found the same thing on mine where they just said the item had ended.  Also at least in my case, it was only on recordings that had multiple audio streams typically ones with dual languages.  

Well I can say mine all play PERFECTLY now.  Whats also interesting is I remember ebr telling me he had no issues with the files I sent him but could see the issue in my logs.....

so question ebr... the android units you test with do you typically have them hardwired?  That is the only thing I can think of because its what I recently changed.  I finally decided to hardwire all of my boxes and now that issue where my videos won't play or play for a split second and just stop... its gone.  I just tested so many recordings and all of them worked flawlessly and that was even ff/rw too.

*edit - so it seems its only the nexus player for me that does this now.  I haven't used one in a while but I have a couple mi boxes and a firetv all hardwired.  They work perfectly.  The nexus player, even hardwired, is still doing suffering from the symptoms described.

Edited by epayson85

I test both wireless and wired.

Wireless can definitely cause issues - especially with streaming because the connection can be completely unpredictable.

MrWebsmith

@@bmoses - if you have access to the beta can you please try these on the latest one (.73)?  Thanks.

eric.. ill retest some wmc-recorded stuff on my shields and on the g1 FTV as well... and let you know.. the last time (months ago) i tried they didnt play well at all

ok, have done some more testing and i'm now to the point where the ones that will work, work all of the time, and the ones that won't work, don't ever work. i don't see any discernible difference between the ones that work and the ones that don't. I'm skeptical that i have a networking issue, my servers are all hard wired with CAT6 gigabit and the nexus players are 5Ghz AC and are only about 10 feet away from the router each.

i would still like to request an option, probably on the server side, to be able to choose to always transcode WTV files as well as live TV. i've built our computers with transcoding in mind and whenever things transcode they work 100% of the time. i don't mean this as a negative as you guys have done tremendous work on emby that i really do appreciate, its just been over the past 9ish months that after updates sometimes i'll have issues with WTV/live TV and sometimes i won't. having the option to transcode will make things work 100% of the time and i won't have to worry about the next update breaking things.

thanks!!!!

epayson85

ok, have done some more testing and i'm now to the point where the ones that will work, work all of the time, and the ones that won't work, don't ever work. i don't see any discernible difference between the ones that work and the ones that don't. I'm skeptical that i have a networking issue, my servers are all hard wired with CAT6 gigabit and the nexus players are 5Ghz AC and are only about 10 feet away from the router each.

i would still like to request an option, probably on the server side, to be able to choose to always transcode WTV files as well as live TV. i've built our computers with transcoding in mind and whenever things transcode they work 100% of the time. i don't mean this as a negative as you guys have done tremendous work on emby that i really do appreciate, its just been over the past 9ish months that after updates sometimes i'll have issues with WTV/live TV and sometimes i won't. having the option to transcode will make things work 100% of the time and i won't have to worry about the next update breaking things.

thanks!!!!

Look at the media information of recordings that do work and the ones that don't. On the ones that don't work... do they have dual audio streams? Typically an English stream and a Spanish stream? That seems to be what breaks my Nexus. If there is only one audio stream the Nexus plays fine.

Look at the media information of recordings that do work and the ones that don't. On the ones that don't work... do they have dual audio streams? Typically an English stream and a Spanish stream? That seems to be what breaks my Nexus. If there is only one audio stream the Nexus plays fine.

thats what i meant by i couldn't find any differences, they both have 2 audio streams and look the same on the media info details as far as i can tell.

MrWebsmith

eric.. ill retest some wmc-recorded stuff on my shields and on the g1 FTV as well... and let you know.. the last time (months ago) i tried they didnt play well at all

i know its been a couple days but my testing has my wmc-recorded .wtv files that i load into a separate library in the EATV app...  playing fine.. no stutters that i experienced, and it says "direct playing"... if anyone wants/needs media details for comparison i can do more recordings and post them here..

just wanted to report back

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

as a (hopefully) temporary work around I was able to force WTV (recorded TV) to transcode by setting the max streaming bitrate to below what the episode was recorded at. However it didn't work for Live TV for some reason. I'm using VLC as an external player to watch live TV currently but the sound is almost never in sync :/

would still really like an option on the server to force these things to transcode but this is what i'm using for the time being.