Loading ET from WMC using Harmony. How to maintain focus?

Sammy

I use my H900 remote to load ET from WMC but sometimes the focus stays with WMC even though ET is full screen (but I can see a peek of the Aero Tool Bar at the bottom so maybe not) When it does this, I cannot control ET with the remote.

Is it possible to add a switch to ET to shut down WMC when it loads and then to open WMC back up when done with it?

Is there a way to launch it as a separate program with complete focus from the Menu Strips as EMC does?

ET is far superior to EMC in every single way I can think of so this would be a bonus round.

However you're currently launching it, couldn't you instead launch some kind of script that manages all of that?

• Like 1

PrincessClevage

I use my H900 remote to load ET from WMC but sometimes the focus stays with WMC even though ET is full screen (but I can see a peek of the Aero Tool Bar at the bottom so maybe not) When it does this, I cannot control ET with the remote.

Is it possible to add a switch to ET to shut down WMC when it loads and then to open WMC back up when done with it?

Is there a way to launch it as a separate program with complete focus from the Menu Strips as EMC does?

ET is far superior to EMC in every single way I can think of so this would be a bonus round.

Not sure if this helps but in my instance I have windows 10 with mce hack installed to make use of epg and live tv through Serverwmc addin and I have used mceremote mapper to remapp the windows button on the remote to launch ET in full screen

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=164252

Find ET.exe location, select properties and one of the tabs allows you to input keyboard selection to launch, also select full screen then map these keys to the windows remote button in mceremote mapper.

Not sure if this helps but in my instance I have windows 10 with mce hack installed to make use of epg and live tv through Serverwmc addin and I have used mceremote mapper to remapp the windows button on the remote to launch ET in full screen

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=164252

Find ET.exe location, select properties and one of the tabs allows you to input keyboard selection to launch, also select full screen then map these keys to the windows remote button in mceremote mapper.

This looks like something to check into. Thank you.

I'd probably create a dedicated key on the LCD screen of the Harmony 900 to do this. Right now that key just does a Win +1 to load ET which is located in the first position on the task bar but nothing else. I need WMC to close, or loose focus, and ET to open, or gain focus, When pressing the Green Button on the LCD screen, I want the reverse to occur, shutting down ET and loading WMC.

However you're currently launching it, couldn't you instead launch some kind of script that manages all of that?

I wish I knew how to script. I haven't written anything since using FORTRAN 77 back in college (yeah, I'm old) so I know the concept but don't know the current languages to do it. Point me in a direction so I can research and learn, Please!

PrincessClevage

This looks like something to check into. Thank you.

I'd probably create a dedicated key on the LCD screen of the Harmony 900 to do this. Right now that key just does a Win +1 to load ET which is located in the first position on the task bar but nothing else. I need WMC to close, or loose focus, and ET to open, or gain focus, When pressing the Green Button on the LCD screen, I want the reverse to occur, shutting down ET and loading WMC.

I wish I knew how to script. I haven't written anything since using FORTRAN 77 back in college (yeah, I'm old) so I know the concept but don't know the current languages to do it. Point me in a direction so I can research and learn, Please!

From elevated command or map a remote button to call a .bat script and use "taskkill " command to kill WMC executable might be an option

From a command prompt taskkill /? Will give you parameters

Just use Alt+F4 to close wmc

There's an idea. Unfortunately the H900 doesn't do macros or I'd assign the Emby button on the LCD screen to Alt+F4 to close WMC and then Win+1 to load ET. In reverse, I'd do an Alt+F4 to close ET then a Green Button command to load WMC back up. The H900 is nice in every other way but for whatever reason, Logitec took macros out of that remote.. I could maybe program those commands into one of my H-One's and then learn the IR comment to the H900. Thanks for the idea as this is worth checking out.

Unfortunately it will be a little while as I'm fighting some other issues on my HTPC right now..

• 4 weeks later...

We decommissioned the family room for tile installation shortly after this thread was started and the HTPC was running off a KVM switch in my office with extenders in the bonus room, etc since. Then we were out of the country and just got everything back together in time to get the Christmas decorations up. I'm about to do something with this but got to thinking that I may do it via an activity for Emby Theater on the Remote. With that I can stop and shut down WMC then start up ET with the focus I need. Thoughts on this versus using MCE Remote Mapper?

I went ahead and created a separate activity called "Emby" in my Harmony and in initial testing it is working great. There's a few tweaks to go but I'm just about to the point of doing two things.. Removing Emby from the WMC Menu Strip and removing the "Emby" (still says Media Browser!) soft button from the H-900 LCD Screen, which has resided there for about four years now.

Thanks!

I'm thinking one less piece of software running can't be a bad thing. Not that running it isn't an option but, for me, this seemed the simplest solution to execute. Now I can switch back and forth seamlessly and not loose focus as WMC is shut down on the change of activity and then Emby is shut down when going the other way with Alt F4's. Unfortunately the H900 doesn't support macros so this is the work-around. I could program it into one of my H One's and learn the sequence on the H900 but if there's too many button presses in the sequence that doesn't work either.