Parental control based on genre

godbodian

godbodian

You all know me. LOL. I literally use MB/Emby/Ember for EVERYTHING. LOVE IT!

My kids watch content on it religiously. Here's my issue.

I can create parental controls of course but doing parental controls based upon the rating system is fine for content that is strictly defined but what I've found is a lot of content attempts to skirt the edge of those ratings, so while this manner of control is helpful it leaves a lot out.

So I would propose that within the parental control you allow users to block content by "general" GENRE as well. Meaning the genres THAT YOU HAVE, PLUS the basic KNOWN genre definitions (meaning the basic genre definitions all content goes by) should list itself dynamically, so that you can toggle whether access is permitted.

This would GREATLY help me as I would love if my younger kids could have access to only animated content of certain "approved of" ratings.

What you guys think? (Oh yeah sorry for the title, I didn't know which sever app to attribute it to as I use Windows but I think if you guys accept the feature it would be more so across the board.)

Edited by godbodian
  • Like 1

Not sure a genre filter will necessarily be more accurate...

We already have a way for you to provide your own parental rating for items that you believe are mis-rated by the agencies.  Doesn't that accomplish what you want?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
godbodian

Oh hey EBR.

No, I believe we are talking about wo different things. I think the easiest way for me to articulate what I'm saying is the following (and please bare with me):

I'm asking for a Genre filter because I could not think of a more efficient way to globally section off multiple folders of content, quickly and easily with a high-rate of success for the intended results. See I know most here think I'm offbase (and maybe I am) but the reality is I have several iterations of Emby running within my household at all times and often I find things that run short of what I would feel are normal (US-based, middle aged, non-technical and high usage) consumer expectations. Regardless if the actual market is smart enough to implement the same features.

I mean, wouldn't you agree that with all the metadata tagging of information/content, and the various other methods of systematic categorization for the purpose of more specified results, it's only matter of time before your media experience works similarly? Imagine how much easier it would be if as a parent, you could set your television/cable box/media streaming service/EMBY to ONLY show content of a certain nature, genre and/or metatag data.

While I would love any and every feature I can think of and/or request... I was also thinking about the Devs' time and figured that code wise, it would be a small investment of manpower and an easier proof of concept to prove or disprove. In addition the feature is two-fold, the same way it would block certain genres, by a reverse of the logic it would also only allow those genres unblocked to be viewed. Which alleviates the whole separation by folder architecture thing which most noobs and lazies (myself) aren't going to do anyway.

My problem that inspired this request was I want my kids' profiles to only show ANIMATED CONTENT of a certain RATING, without my restructuring my file folders. I mean think about it. Within the Horror genre there's Goosebumps (PG, which means basically G for today's societal standards) and Saw ®, which in the current system of parental control makes sense. But if you're talking about kids and their movies, Do I want to give access to movies like The First Wives Club, One Crazy Summer & National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation, because I want my younger children to be able to have access to their favorite movies (Big Hero 6 and The Incredibles, all five films have the same PG rating)? As a parent, we know that "appropriateness" often has to do with the rating yes but more the type/genre of content.

(Also it would be nice to be able to complete block anything with the Romance/Romantic genre from their youthful eyes. That's in of itself is more accurate for parents than the MPAA Ratings which movies tend to see more so as guidelines to stretch as opposed as strict lines that are not to be crossed.)

Edited by godbodian

Deathsquirrel

No comment on the proposed feature but I handle this two ways.

1. When the kids were younger, I had a totally separate library of stuff they could watch.  I've since gotten rid of this and just use option 2, but it was handy when they were very young.
  2. Use the parental controls by rating.  Where some movies cross a particular line I disapprove of but the MPAA felt was OK, I change the rating on the movie.  There's a custom rating field but I personally just change the main rating.