unable to play 25fps with reclock and madvr

spon

Hi everyone,

I'm having a very rough time with 25fps files. My TV does not display 25fps, so I thought I would try reclock along with madVR option to play 25fps as 24 (which my TV does display). The problem is that the file will not even open when I chose Reclock as the audio renderer. if I switch back to WASAPI, the video plays but I have a ton of dropped frames because the 25fps is forced to be displayed as 29.97.

Another problem that I have seen on non-25fps files occurs when I try to play a file with 6CH audio (my setup is 5.1) using reclock as the renderer. I receive an error message stating "The audio format is not supported by the hardware / driver. 48000 samples/sec, 32 bit IEEE float, 6 channels. I believe updating the LAV audio setting "Use legacy 5.1 format" would maybe fix this, but of course I can't edit the LAV audio settings used in Emby Theater. 

Does anyone have a similar setup for 25fps video files that they could share? I'd love to get this working.

Thanks

Guest asrequested

Describe what your hardware is, what configuration you're using (HDMI, Optical etc), post some screenshots of your audio and video settings in ET and if you can, share a sample of your file.

Describe what your hardware is, what configuration you're using (HDMI, Optical etc), post some screenshots of your audio and video settings in ET and if you can, share a sample of your file.

Thanks for the reply. I read through the thread you linked and I think my issue is different although some of that thread went over my head. 

Hardware: 

i5 6500 CPU

GTX 960

Normally, I run the video from the GTX 960 via HDMI and bitstream the audio from the motherboard via Optical. This works perfect for all video files where my TV can match the refresh rate of the video. Unfortunately, some of the video files that I have are 25fps, which my TV does not support. Also, the Nvidia cards are notorious for having bad 23.976 resolutions, so even when I play those videos I get dropped frames. I thought the solution would be reclock, but that is where I'm running into issues.

When attempting to playback a file with 6 channel audio, I get this error message: 

5817b4e8bf827_error.png

The file will play but there is no audio at all.

When attempting to play a file with 5.1 audio, the file will not play at all. The little circle spins so it seems like it's going to start, but it will spin forever and the video will not play. If I set the Audio Renderer back to WASAPI, all files play fine. 

Here is media info on the 6 channel video files that pop the error and then play with no sound:

5817b54ae9ad8_willplaywitherrors.png

Here is the media info on the 5.1 files that will not play at all:

5817b56419226_willnotplay.png

Here are my Emby audio settings:

5817b580a6cfb_embysettings.png

Thanks for any help that you can give! It's not the end of the world if I can't get this fixed, I'll just need to avoid 25fps videos as much as possible.

Edited by spon

Guest asrequested

Well, you've got a few things going on there that I'd recommend changing. The first would be not to use an optical. It doesn't support the newer codes like TrueHD, Atmos etc. Use your HDMI. HDMI carries sync information and more. Don't use reclock! You have selected WASAPI device but not using WASAPI. One needs the other. Are you using refresh rate switching? I'd suggest not. The output refresh rate of a computer is 59Hz, what is your TV set to? Those files are HEVC. Set ET hardware acceleration to DXVA2copyback. Give those things a try, and let us know what happens :)

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

I have the same CPU as you, in my HTPC. No external GPU. It plays everything, very well. Just something to think about.

Well, you've got a few things going on there that I'd recommend changing. The first would be not to use an optical. It doesn't support the newer codes like TrueHD, Atmos etc. Use your HDMI. HDMI carries sync information and more. Don't use reclock! You have selected WASAPI device but not using WASAPI. One needs the other. Are you using refresh rate of a switching? I'd suggest not. The output refresh rate of a computer is 59Hz, what is your TV set to? One of the files is HEVC. Set ET hardware acceleration to DXVA2copyback. Give those things a try, and let us know what happens :)

Thanks again for your help! 

I do use refresh rate switching, as I've found it to produce a better picture. I have a Samsung plasma that gives a fantastic picture for the refresh rates that it supports, but it does not do 25fps. I'll switch over from optical to HDMI for the audio later tonight. For whatever reason I've just always used optical, but it should be an easy switch.

Sorry I didn't post all my settings, but I do have DXVA2copyback set and the HW acceleration is working fine for HEVC content using the GTX960. 

What should I choose under WASAPI audio device option? There isn't a choice to leave it blank, so I need to chose Default Device or Realtek. Choosing either one of them produce the same results. 

Maybe it's as simple as switching to HDMI audio, but I'm not sure how that's going to solve my 25fps problems. As far as I know, I only have 2 options: 1) do not use refresh rate switching or 2) use reclock. I'd really like to keep using refresh rate switching, so that leaves me with the reclock option. Then again, I only know enough to be dangerous and I'm probably missing a piece of the puzzle. 

Guest asrequested

After you switch to HDMI, your receiver should show in WASAPI device, and set renderer to WASAPI. If you change your refresh rate in your GPU to the natural output (59.94Hz), your picture quality should be OK. Try it, without refresh rate switching, and see how it is.

Edited by Doofus

I was able to correct the issue without switching to HDMI or changing my refresh rate settings by taking the following steps:

1. In Reclock, check box for "Accept bitstream formats (not recommended)"

2. In Reclock, set PCM and BItstream to DirectSound

2. in Emby, set Audio Renderer to "Reclock" and WASAPI audio device to "Default Device"

After that, everything seems to play fine.

Thanks again Dofus for your prompt replies and help!

• 1 month later...

I was going to start a separate thread but figured I'd tag into this one instead. I use HDMI through my AVR to my TV. I have a 7850 AMD GPU.

I'm using ET with madVR and am having some playback issues. I've set madVR to use its smoothing algorithm but am still getting judder. 

Is it possible to expose the full range of madVR settings in ET so we can adjust things how we like as was possible when using madVR and LAV with MPC-HC?

Can this be down with the madVR control panel that I still have from using madVR in MPC-HC or is it a separate registration of madVR in ET?

I don't use re-clock but should I? What advantages do we have with it?

Jdiesel

I was going to start a separate thread but figured I'd tag into this one instead. I use HDMI through my AVR to my TV. I have a 7850 AMD GPU.

I'm using ET with madVR and am having some playback issues. I've set madVR to use its smoothing algorithm but am still getting judder. 

Is it possible to expose the full range of madVR settings in ET so we can adjust things how we like as was possible when using madVR and LAV with MPC-HC?

Can this be down with the madVR control panel that I still have from using madVR in MPC-HC or is it a separate registration of madVR in ET?

I don't use re-clock but should I? What advantages do we have with it?

If you start playback and minimize ET you should have access to the madVR control panel in your taskbar. I personally like to change the madVR control panel to show all the time. And the version of madVR that is used by ET is independent of the system version so changes made to the system version will not apply to ET. You need to modify the settings in the control panel that appears when playing a video in ET.

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 1

BTW, here's the Media Info of the file I'm playing..

Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 4 / Version 2
File size                                : 5.73 GiB
Duration                                 : 1 h 39 min
Overall bit rate                         : 8 237 kb/s
Encoded date                             : UTC 2013-04-19 17:57:08
Writing application                      : mkvmerge v6.1.0 ('Old Devil') built on Mar  2 2013 14:32:37
Writing library                          : libebml v1.3.0 + libmatroska v1.4.0

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 9 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                                 : 7 433 kb/s
Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
Height                                   : 694 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 1.85:1
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.349
Stream size                              : 5.17 GiB (90%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 130 r2273 b3065e6
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=9 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.05:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=8 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=crf / mbtree=0 / crf=17.0 / qcomp=0.75 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=50000 / vbv_bufsize=62500 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.30 / pb_ratio=1.20 / aq=1:0.70
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness              : Big
Codec ID                                 : A_AC3
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 640 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 31.250 FPS (1536 spf)
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 456 MiB (8%)
Title                                    : AC3 5.1 @ 640 Kbps
Default                                  : Yes

Text
ID                                       : 3
Format                                   : UTF-8
Codec ID                                 : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info                            : UTF-8 Plain Text
Default                                  : No

If you start playback and minimize ET you should have access to the madVR control panel in your taskbar. I personally like to change the madVR control panel to show all the time. And the version of madVR that is used by ET is independent of the system version so changes made to the system version will not apply to ET. You need to modify the settings in the control panel that appears when playing a video in ET.

This is good information. I didn't know this was possible. Of course, I've just recently switched from EMC / MPC-HC to ET.