Another remote access question

Heavy As Stone

Heavy As Stone

Sorry for creating another thread on this topic but I'm not getting anywhere. What do you need from me to troubleshoot my remote access?

I am able to access my emby server over a local network in a web browser, both on my PC and on my iPhone, and in the iOS app (LOVE the iOS app, btw).

I am unable to access the server remotely. I've opened the ports in the Windows Firewall with the instructions provided. I've ensured there are no rules that block mediabrowser. I've forwarded the ports in my Arris router. I've checked on canyouseeme.org, but it is never able to access my system. I'm not running any other firewall that I'm aware of. Nothing is working.

Please tell me what sort of logs/screenshots you need to help me with this. And THANK YOU in advance for helping! I've been using Emby locally for quite awhile (heck, since it was MediaBrowser and set up on my old HTPC) and have always been a fan. Now I'd really love to use it on my iPhone as well.

Thanks!!

Heavy As Stone

Oh, and I've completed steps in the connectivity troubleshooter - still nothing. And I've tried using Emby Connect to help with everything. 

Hi, welcome. Thanks. So if you're able to access from other devices inside your network, then that rules out any windows firewall issues, and most likely any issues on the server machine itself. So now it's an issue of getting the traffic from your router to your server machine.

What ports did you setup and what ip address did you forward them to? We need to verify that is the correct internal LAN ip address.

Then from the external perspective, we also should verify the external address is correct.

Heavy As Stone

I set up ports 8096 and 8920. I forwarded them to 192.168.0.2. Here's a screenshot.

5816758cd2733_router.png

Edited by Heavy As Stone

The first thing to do is verify that the private ip address is correct? where did you get that from? is it the same address that you use when connecting from other devices inside your network?

Heavy As Stone

Yes, it's what I use to connect inside the network. 

Edit: I can also use that in the network to access nextPVR at port 8866

Edit2: It's also what shows on my dashboard for in-home access

Edited by Heavy As Stone

RanmaCanada

I am having a similar issue. Sorry to hijack but I am unable to connect anywhere. I'VE reinstalled windows and all I get is connection failure. All my network settings are the same, router has all the openings etc. I keep getting token error in the log file.

Heavy As Stone

Hi Luke. First, thank you so much for taking the time to go through these forums and answer questions. I really do appreciate it.

I spent some time this weekend trying to figure this out again and couldn't (a bruise to my ego for sure). Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

feerlessleadr

Something similar happens to me from time to time, and the fix for me (at least on Windows) was to make sure that the server's network was set to private and not public. 

I realized that when the server was set to public, I could connect internally, but externally I couldn't. When I switched to private, everything self corrected.

Dragonslee

I am having a similar issue. I have verified my Emby server ports are open. I am trying to connect to my Home Server via Emby Connect and I keep getting an error that the server is unavailable. I have done all the troubleshooting steps with no change. The funny thing is I was able to connect once this morning after retrying a few times but then the server became unavailable again.

The last Emby update is the only thought as to the cause of the issue.

I am having a similar issue. I have verified my Emby server ports are open. I am trying to connect to my Home Server via Emby Connect and I keep getting an error that the server is unavailable. I have done all the troubleshooting steps with no change. The funny thing is I was able to connect once this morning after retrying a few times but then the server became unavailable again.

The last Emby update is the only thought as to the cause of the issue.

Please let us know exactly what steps in the troubleshooter succeeded, and which ones failed. Thanks.

Dragonslee

Please let us know exactly what steps in the troubleshooter succeeded, and which ones failed. Thanks.

Internally everything works fine but externally step one doesn't work even though it did a few days ago. I believe the issue is related to the security certificate that emby creates. I am using https and on the chrome browser on my phone I get the this site is not secure message and an error pertaining to the certificate. Step 2 regarding ports was verified. They are open and confirmed with step 3. All this only started happening after updating to the latest Emby Server version. Is there anything I can do regarding the security certificate?

EDIT:

I played around with this some more and unchecked the https setting under the advanced section on the Emby Server. I tested the 8096 port with canyouseeme.org and it was successful. I re-enabled the https settings and tried port 8920 and got the following  Error: I could not see your service on XX.XXX.XX.XX on port (8920Reason: Connection timed out  

I verified that the port is open on my router and there is nothing blocking that port on the PC the server is on. I am kinda at a loss as to why http works but https no longer does. Also I gained access from the Emby app on my phone earlier this afternoon but then I lost it again. Anyone else having these issues? Is using http ok until the https issues get resolved?

EDIT 2:

I reinstalled the latest server and triple checked my router settings and everything looks fine for that. I once again go to canyouseeme.org and get success for port 8096 BUT I gave it 20-30 seconds and tested again and got the same error as above regarding the connection timing out. I waited a few minutes and tested again and get success once more. I have no idea why this is happening and reading around on the forums regarding external connection issues seems like it could be a number of causes. Hopefully its related to the latest server build as I can't track down any other issue that would be the cause.

Edited by Dragonslee

It is much more likely this is due to something else in the network chain.  Do you have anything like a VPN or reverse proxy in play?

Dragonslee

It is much more likely this is due to something else in the network chain. Do you have anything like a VPN or reverse proxy in play?

I have neither. I may setup Emby as a docker on my Unraid server but see on the Limetech forums that it has some issues.

When you get the message about the site not being secure, you need to go ahead and override that in the browser and manually accept it. This is happening because the default cert that comes with Emby is self-signed. This is normal. Most devices will reject self-signed certs by default so it will require overriding. 

Dragonslee

When you get the message about the site not being secure, you need to go ahead and override that in the browser and manually accept it. This is happening because the default cert that comes with Emby is self-signed. This is normal. Most devices will reject self-signed certs by default so it will require overriding.

I figured and was able to continue but as I discovered the connection is hit or miss any thoughts on that?

I figured and was able to continue but as I discovered the connection is hit or miss any thoughts on that?

The best thing to do is discuss specific examples of what you mean while providing the information requested in how to report a problem. Thanks !

Happy2Play

I believe Luke is requesting logs as the link discusses, as you have described your issue already.