Batch Tagging Solutions?

shep

I don't think this is a feature yet, but I easily have tens of thousands of pictures (possibly as many as 100,000) that I'd like to add tags to, all of them taken on family cameras over the span of five years. Emby supports individual tagging, but not batch as of yet (might have missed it though).

How are you guys tagging Emby entries on a mass scale? Is there some third-party software that can tag entries and upload just the tags to Emby? It took about two weeks just to upload all the files to my server running 24/7, so if there's a way to simply update the tags without re-uploading all the pictures, that would be ideal.

And if nothing exists, I can probably write something for it. C# developer by trade, just need an API and I'm all set!

the-dumb1

What you're asking for sounds like a batch metadata editor. I've seen feature requests for this (myself included), and the answer is always that it is a possibility for a future release... But that doesn't help for your immediate needs.

I've resorted to a simple combination of grep and sed to do what I want, but like you would like to see something named in.

Tranquil

I don't think this is a feature yet, but I easily have tens of thousands of pictures (possibly as many as 100,000) that I'd like to add tags to, all of them taken on family cameras over the span of five years. Emby supports individual tagging, but not batch as of yet (might have missed it though).

How are you guys tagging Emby entries on a mass scale? Is there some third-party software that can tag entries and upload just the tags to Emby? It took about two weeks just to upload all the files to my server running 24/7, so if there's a way to simply update the tags without re-uploading all the pictures, that would be ideal.

And if nothing exists, I can probably write something for it. C# developer by trade, just need an API and I'm all set!

API? No Problem, here you go: 

http://127.0.0.1:8096/swagger-ui/

Just browse to your MBS like above. (you may need to adapt IP and Port maybe).

Edited by Tranquil

API? No Problem, here you go:

http://127.0.0.1:8096/swagger-ui/

Just browse to your MBS like above. (you may need to adapt IP and Port maybe).

I have mine on a DigitalOcean Ubuntu web server pointed to a domain, so I tried http://example.com/swagger-ui/

And I get a NullReferenceException in Chrome. Was that a link to the API documentation or the API itself? I'm suspecting the former, but where's the documentation for it?

Tranquil

You are right. I'm getting the same error message. My CPU runs up to 100% and it takes approx 10 seconds to see the API Entrypoints.

I think that is not the expected behavior. @@Luke ??

PenkethBoy

@@shep while you get to grips with the api

there is another way as i have over 500k of photos

i use Picasa3 - yes its discontinued by Google but it still works and it can be downloaded

tagging of large numbers of files is one of the good features it has- also it makes organising them prior to tagging easy as well

the other thing to consider is that i dont think the api changes to tags are permanent - i.e. not written to the images - so any db recreate/nfo flush is possibly going to set you back

i could be wrong on that but that put me off doing the same with the api

good luck though if you do get one done - i will use it :)

@@shep while you get to grips with the api

there is another way as i have over 500k of photos

i use Picasa3 - yes its discontinued by Google but it still works and it can be downloaded

tagging of large numbers of files is one of the good features it has- also it makes organising them prior to tagging easy as well

the other thing to consider is that i dont think the api changes to tags are permanent - i.e. not written to the images - so any db recreate/nfo flush is possibly going to set you back

i could be wrong on that but that put me off doing the same with the api

good luck though if you do get one done - i will use it :)

How does Picasa create tags? On the image itself, or as a separate file? I'd prefer a separate file personally.

I'll GitHub whatever I make, but I find it surprising that the API doesn't save changes. @@Luke is this accurate? I'll definitely be testing this on a small scale first however.

I think I found the problem with the API, but haven't the faintest idea how to fix it. swagger-ui is defaulted to

http://example.com/swagger-ui/index.html/../../resources

by default when visiting

http://example.com/swagger-ui/index.html

This translates to 

http://example.com/resources

which is a json file whose content is this:

{"swaggerVersion":"1.2","apis":[{"path":"/resource/Albums"},{"path":"/resource/Appstore"},{"path":"/resource/Artists"},{"path":"/resource/Audio"},{"path":"/resource/Auth"},{"path":"/resource/Branding"},{"path":"/resource/Channels"},{"path":"/resource/Collections"},{"path":"/resource/Connect"},{"path":"/resource/Devices"},{"path":"/resource/DisplayPreferences"},{"path":"/resource/Dlna"},{"path":"/resource/emby"},{"path":"/resource/Environment"},{"path":"/resource/GameGenres"},{"path":"/resource/Games"},{"path":"/resource/Genres"},{"path":"/resource/Images"},{"path":"/resource/Items"},{"path":"/resource/Library"},{"path":"/resource/LiveStreams"},{"path":"/resource/LiveTv"},{"path":"/resource/Localization"},{"path":"/resource/mediabrowser"},{"path":"/resource/Movies"},{"path":"/resource/MusicGenres"},{"path":"/resource/News"},{"path":"/resource/Notification"},{"path":"/resource/Notifications"},{"path":"/resource/Packages"},{"path":"/resource/Persons"},{"path":"/resource/Playback"},{"path":"/resource/Playlists"},{"path":"/resource/Plugins"},{"path":"/resource/Providers"},{"path":"/resource/Registrations"},{"path":"/resource/Reports"},{"path":"/resource/robots.txt"},{"path":"/resource/ScheduledTasks"},{"path":"/resource/Search"},{"path":"/resource/Sessions"},{"path":"/resource/Shows"},{"path":"/resource/Social"},{"path":"/resource/Songs"},{"path":"/resource/Startup"},{"path":"/resource/Studios"},{"path":"/resource/swagger-ui"},{"path":"/resource/Sync"},{"path":"/resource/System"},{"path":"/resource/Trailers"},{"path":"/resource/Users"},{"path":"/resource/Videos"},{"path":"/resource/web"},{"path":"/resource/Years"}],"apiVersion":"1.0","basePath":"http://localhost:8096","info":{"title":"Emby"}}

Emphasis mine. It's seeing the localhost, and via javascript trying to contact localhost for all the API paths. For some installations, this is fine, however since my emby server is headless and off-site, this is wrong. I haven't the faintest idea where it's pulling the locahost from either. "In-Home access" URL is pointed to the external IP, and "Remote access" is pointed to the domain. Tried updating every bit of software on the server, rebooting it, same result. This appears to be a bug. Will shoot @@Luke a PM since he hasn't seen the above tags as of yet.

EDIT:

Can't seem to remove auto-parsing links here, put them in code blocks since they were being truncated visually and shouldn't have been actual links.

Edited by shep

Are we talking about tags or is this just about swagger?

I'm trying to get swagger working first, that way I can develop a small program to batch tag items offline and "sync" the tags via the API. Honestly, I'd love to make this from scratch, but without knowing how to interface it with Emby, I can't make it functional.