New user - functionality questions/feedback

Hu7cH

Hey, I just installed this yesterday and have a few questions about UI configurations.

1. Is there a way to guarantee a row per media type on the home screen 'Latest Media' area? I have a TV/Cartoons/Movies folders and it seems to GROUP them automatically but there are spill over which causes a mish mash look. I have tried the options under profile -> home screen. Nothing seems to help. **EDIT - This seems to only be true in my browser on pc NOT on mobile.

2. When I click the drop down in top left and then click a media type under 'Media'  it defaults to suggestions. I'd rather it go straight to the 'Shows' or 'Movies' entries is that possible to configure?

3. I want my pages to display more entries than 100 per page - is there a way to configure this?

Other notes -

1. I can install Plex server(I would assume the direct competitor) on my nvidia shield but I seem to only be able to use my shield as a client for Emby. This support would be awesome.

2. If I have 'enable real-time monitoring' on any of my collections it seems to bug out. It will identify one new item if I make changes (correctly) but then the process usage never ever decreases from like 92% until I kick the box. This is pretty lame.

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Hu7cH

This is surprising - noone has any feedback?

Well the real time monitoring process issue is pretty unacceptable and it looks like (based on my forum searches) that its been in play for over a year.

Edited by Hu7cH

Happy2Play

1) No, Latest Media on the home Screen uses the Date added and is limited to 20 newest unwatched items.

2) There is no way to change this currently, the are feature requests for this option.

3) You can modify the librarybrowser.js (Return=100) but it gets reset with every build. C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\dashboard-ui\scripts

Other

2) What OS are you using?  Real Time Monitoring should only run if there have been changes to the file system.  So is another program change something in your media?

Edited by Happy2Play

I am running Emby on a Synology DS 1812+ running DSM 5.2-5967.

As soon as the real-time monitoring triggers for as little as a single change it keeps the processor pegged at 89-94% forever.

Happy2Play

Not sure if it is a bug or just functionality that needs worked on, but there are several topics in the Synology forum that have the users turn off "Real Time Monitoring".  Ensure you bring up any issues in that forum.

Yeah, I don't think this is a specific to synology problem and not having real-time monitoring is HUGE as my collection is so large that I would always be scanning non-stop.

I'll check out this project again in 6 months.

Happy2Play

Yeah, I don't think this is a specific to synology problem and not having real-time monitoring is HUGE as my collection is so large that I would always be scanning non-stop.

I'll check out this project again in 6 months.

This doesn't make any since.  The initial scan is going to identify everything and will/does take the longest.  And the daily scan will pickup anything new that is added, so you may want to scan twice a day.  As you talk about a large collection sure many of us have then.  I am not using a Synology but my subsequent library scans take about 14 minutes for 38TB of media.

Real Time Monitoring is nice but it isn't a deal breaker.

And I do think the monitoring issue is specific to Synology.  That feature operates differently and with different levels of reliability on different platforms.

PenkethBoy

The OP's NAS has only an intel atom processor all be it a quad core so if he has a large collection by the usual standards its going to struggle to do the Emby Server role and be a file server - especially if loads of metadata is being written/downloaded and processed.

I had plex on my 853A QNAP and that was ok doing the same - but its a quad celeron and it would do just fine - its my main store for Emby data at the moment and RTM works fine on linux but its not doing the heavy lifting which my NUC does.

Without specifics we could speculate all day but If his box is under powered he is not going to get far with Plex either.

Without specifics we could speculate all day but If his box is under powered he is not going to get far with Plex either.

I run plex without issue. I can use my nvidia shield or my synology as my server without problems.

so you may want to scan twice a day. 

Real Time Monitoring is nice but it isn't a deal breaker.

Yeah, and then I only see new media indexed twice a day. Oh your television shows came out tonight? Thats neat hope your 12 hour window drops soon so you can see them.

I would want to schedule the scan minimum every two hours to 'fake' real-time monitoring and the scan takes 1:20-1:30 which means I'm just beating on my hard drives constantly as they start scanning as soon as they finish scanning.

And I do think the monitoring issue is specific to Synology.  That feature operates differently and with different levels of reliability on different platforms.

I searched the synology part of this forum to try to determine that and only got hits for talk re: real time monitoring twice.

If I google this issue I get people talking about this since june 2015 so its obviously a problem that isn't being addressed.

This issue isn't related to my box's specs - it finds media identifies one or many new items without issue and then the  process seems to never give back up processing resources regardless of how long I wait with nothing else going on.

Edited by Hu7cH

PenkethBoy

How big are we talking for you media library - an hour an a half sounds a long scan - i only get that if i put in a large photo collection

• 5 months later...