app.emby.media Connection failure

mattyg8
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

mattyg8

I have setup external access to my server and all works fine via app.emby.media I log in and everything shows up.

But when I enable PIA VPN I can still access my emby server

via

eg http://101.000.82.00:8096/emby/web/dashboard.html

but when I try to access via app.emby.media I get to server select MATT:PC it says failure to connect?

Only happens when VPN is activated.

I have entered my address under: Bind to Local Network Address and have enable automatic port mapping.

I have also forwarded my ports under the router and added to firewall.

Any Ideas?

Some aspect of the VPN has got to be blocking it. Check the front page of your Emby Server dashboard. Is the external address correct? That is what the app will try to use to connect.

mattyg8

That's the issue it shows the VPN address, But if I access my server via webpage using my proper external address whist VPN is on I have no issue.

Its only when using the  app.emby.media or logging in using emby connect

mattyg8

Change it under Dashboard->Advanced->External Domain

Thanks, never saw this option before. Seems to have fixed the issue :)

@@mattyg8, I have been trying to setup PIA with Emby and cannot seem to get the port forwarding in the VPN to work properly.  Mind giving me some tips on how you are setup?  I know I am messing something up, but I cannot get it to see my connection through the app or through the website externally.  Port forwarding is enabled in PIA, but maybe I am not forwarding the correct port in on my firewall or in PIA, I am sure it is a config issue.  Any suggestions would be very helpful.  Thanks!

mattyg8

@@mattyg8, I have been trying to setup PIA with Emby and cannot seem to get the port forwarding in the VPN to work properly.  Mind giving me some tips on how you are setup?  I know I am messing something up, but I cannot get it to see my connection through the app or through the website externally.  Port forwarding is enabled in PIA, but maybe I am not forwarding the correct port in on my firewall or in PIA, I am sure it is a config issue.  Any suggestions would be very helpful.  Thanks!

I have my ports :8096 forwarded on my router, I then find my address without PIA turned on and I can access that address at any time with PIA on.

The issue I had was that on the dashboard on emby server it would should the PIA address at remote location so I entered my proper address at Change it under Dashboard->Advanced->External Domain

Well done. Sometimes in these tricky situations customizing the external address is a good solution.