2D/3D MVC M2TS

jhoff80

jhoff80

I'm trying to figure out how I want to rip and store my 3D Bluray content.  I know that side-by-side and top/bottom type files are easy, but I want the capability to watch these movies in both 2D or 3D depending on mood and which device they're being played back on.l

At first I was planning on using MVC ripped directly in MKV, but for some reason, Stereoscopic Player is having issues with that for me, despite it being fully supported.

Attempt two works far better.  tsMuxer can now support MVC, so I can rip from the Bluray to a m2ts file.  When played in a regular player (such as Media Center), I get the 2D video.  When played in Stereoscopic Player, I get the 3D video.

So now, I've been able to set up Stereoscopic Player as an external player for m2ts, but here's where I'm stuck / hoping some people who know MediaBrowser really well can help me out.  First, how would I go about making the m2ts play in one player sometimes and in the other player other times?  I'm guessing it has to do with the External Player's "Supported Video Formats" section and the file name, but I wasn't quite sure how to trigger that.

And second, would the best course of action for storage be to create a 3D and standard subfolder inside the movie folder?  Example, I'm doing my testing with the Bob's Big Break short.  Would something like this work?

Movies\Bob's Big Break (2009)\3D\Bob's Big Break (2009).lnk

Movies\Bob's Big Break (2009)\2D\Bob's Big Break (2009).m2ts

Edited by jhoff80
  • Like 1

We currently do not support that grouping multiple editions of the same movie together. We will sooner or later so not to worry.

fortunately the workarounds aren't too terrible. you could group them all as separate movies underneath a single boxset, or you could make the alternate editions special features of the main movie.

jhoff80

Ah, that explains some things.  Even still though, it sounds like the box sets would only work if I was to have two separate files for playback.

What I'm trying to do is have the same file played in a different player depending on which entry I open it from.  So now I've got

Movies\Bob's Big Break (2009)\Bob's Big Break (2009).m2ts                        :  This is the main file which contains both 2D and 3D versions.  When playing 2D I want to open it in MediaBrowser/WMC's internal player

Movies\Bob's Big Break [3D] (2009)\Bob's Big Break [3D] (2009).m2ts.lnk   :  This is a shortcut to the same file as the 2D, except I want this one to open in Stereoscopic Player.

Except when I open the 3D version's entry, it doesn't see any files.  Is it because it's just not possible to do what I'm trying to do?  Or am I just screwing up somewhere?

Oh I see. I think rather than hack around like that, you're better off requesting that MBC add a player selection dialog at the time of playback (if configured to do so). Maybe like a "Play with" button. A few people have requested that for MBT and although it's not really a very high priority item, I don't really have anything against it.

• Like 1

yea because if you hack the server to achieve something for one client, you'll have to deal with the side effects in the other clients. like in the mobile clients and roku you'll have to see all those versions side by side.

One obvious way is to have 2 separate rips..

Other way is to use a external player such as TMT.. if configured at a client that supports 3D, have it play in 3D and then use your TV to decide if you like to actually watch in 2D Or 3D. Then on a other client, configure TMT to play 2d only..

Using TMT works really well. Just configure the client to launch a external player for 3d movies.

Also, here is a link where I describe a way to use a simple 1 line script using ffdshow with avisynth..

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/3935-slightly-off-topic-about-3d/?hl=ronvp&do=findComment&comment=61237

• 10 months later...
pittsoccer33

Using TMT works really well. Just configure the client to launch a external player for 3d movies

What container are you using with TMT, and how are you creating that file?  I'd like to set up TMT5 as the external player for 3D M2TS files (I don't have any other M2TS files).

What container are you using with TMT, and how are you creating that file?  I'd like to set up TMT5 as the external player for 3D M2TS files (I don't have any other M2TS files).

I am using MP4, but MKV or m2TS files should also work just fine. I used to have al MKV and M2TS files, but the incompatibilities with players made me decide to batch convert them all to MP4 h(.264 video with AAC sound) so it can be played on almost anything without transcoding. I used XMEDIA RECODE to convert my files. This is free software. You have choices to just copy the video stream (recommended if it is already h.264 or MPEG 2/4) and then either copy or convert the audio stream and even include subtitles and chapters.

Rafi1001

@jhoff80 @Luke

This issue is the same as that I raised here.. http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/8178-3d-blu-ray-movies-in-mediabrowser-feature-request/

Personally I use full MVC 3D, and I run it with an external player (Stereoscopic Player).

I'm tagging the film in the editor (Metadata Manager) as 3D format, and set the external player run only 3D content.

like you,  I forced to produce a duplicate for each movie, one for 2D (Not tagged as 3D Movie) and one for 3D (tagged  as 3D Movie). It takes at least a 60 GB on hard disk space!

By the way, If you are using Stereoscopic Player as an external player and want to set up an automatic full screen viewing etc...

Go into the Media Browser Configurator Classic

In External Player tab, write the following code in the arguments field: -file:{0} -fss -termend -nl

for More explanation: http://www.3dtv.at/P...eParams_en.aspx

As to the rip MVC to MKV content..

MakeMKV is PC or MAC software that will extract 2D or 3D BD to MKV format without any Video or Audio loss of quality, which besides using ISO's is the only way to get true 1080P 3D.

• Zero loss in Quality Full 1920 x 1080 image - Full HD Audio
  • 3D MVC in MKV container is easier to stream on a network and you should be able to stream most if not all 3D files
  • File size of the MKV will be smaller than the ISO as you only keep the Playlist, Subs and Audio tracks that you need.
  • Subtitles are supported and you can add your own SRT if required.

You can download MakeMKV from: http://www.makemkv.com

• 2 months later...

@jhoff80 @Luke

In External Player tab, write the following code in the arguments field: -file:{0} -fss -termend -nl

just started playing around with stereoscopic player any idea how to write "-file:{0} -fss -termend -nl" into mbt I currently have   " {PATH} /-file:{0} /-fss /-termend /-nl"    but its not working I think I also have to add nvidia as the 3d type. File opens but its not fullscreen its in anyglyph 3d and does not return to media browser at the end or when stop is clicked. help appreciated