HOW TO: Blue BluRay case around Movie Cover Art

A8HTPC

I decided to add a bluray surround to my movie cover art on movies that are in blurat format. After creating the template is was quick and easy to create all the others for my blurays. This template is in XCF format which is supported in GIMP

52dc76d36ba5f_MBbluray.png

This template also has 12 cover art images I included from my library. Maybe if this becomes popular, people can save all their cover art images in this template as I did, email it to me and I will upload it to the google drive for others to enjoy.

You can have as many cover art images you want saved into the template XCF and just click on the "eye" in the Layers box to make the visible or not. If they are visible, they will be saved in the PNG image file at the end, if they are "hidden" they will not be saved into the PNG file.

Download GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Download GIMP - BluRay Case Template (XCF Format)

Compatible Cover Art Images loaded automatically be MediaBrowser Server. Size can be larger or smaller but the Aspect Ratio usually is correct to fit in the template. Just need to shrink the image down at times. Some images fit without manipulation.

- Poster.jpg

- Folder.jpg

You can also go to IMDb, MoviePosterDB or another website which has different cover art for your specific movie, and download the cover art you want to use in the template.

1. Install GIMP

2. Download and Save Template

---Open Template and Minimize--

3. Double Click on GIMP - BluRay Case Template.xcf

---Open, Check and Resize Cover Art---

4. Right Click on Poster.jpg or Folder.jpg in the movie folder you want to create a new cover art for. Go to "Open With" then "GNU Image Manipulation Program". If its not listed, click "Choose Default Program" and you can pick the program or browse for it, you can Un-check the box which says "Always you this specific program to open this kind of file"

5. Resize cover art image to 500px x 750px (Width x Height). To do this, go to "Image" then "Scale Image". You can then pick make the adjustment needed. If the image is not in the correct aspect ratio, you can either keep the current aspect or click on the "chain link" button next to width and height white boxes and enter the size in both boxes to change aspect.

---Copy Image to Clipboard---

6. Go to "SELECT" then "ALL" (Or CTRL A)

7. Go to "Edit" then "Copy" (Or CTRL C)

---Copy Image to Template---

8. In the template window, go to "Edit" then "Paste as" then "New Layer"

---Final Adjustments---

9. Cover art Image layer may overlay template, in this case, in the "Layers - Brushes Dialog box usually located on right, click on the new layer and then click the down arrow under the layer box. This will move the layer down the list and further toward the back. Template will show up on top.

10. -Repositioning- In the TOOLBOX usually located on left, click on the 4 way arrow cross. Then click on the cover art and drag to fit the template

---Saving Image (MUST READ)---

11.. The creators of GIMP made this more complicated than it has to be. Go to "FILE" then "EXPORT" then rename file to "Folder.png". If the png format is not listed by default, then press "ALT T" and at the bottom of the window you can select the correct format. PNG seems to have priority over jpg. So you can keep and folder.jpg image in the same folder and MBT will use Folder.PNG instead.. Make sure you save the file in the correct folder.

12. Click "Export" button then in next window click "Export" again.

DONE! Seems like a lot of steps but just a few broken down more.

1080P and HD are two different layers as well. Those can be hidden. I used them and repositioned them to where ever I wanted them. you can delete them or hide them.

52dc76ffa7c9a_test.png

Edited by A8HTPC
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
Blueeyiz702

This is my first time ever using Gimp,and i followed instructions and this is what i turned out.can you tell me where i went wrong,and few pointers how to fix,thanks.

see photo below for results of my effort.

Edited by blueeyiz7021

Blueeyiz702

55af2b4082f2a_Poster.pngtried one more time and almost got it,cant get 500*750 to fit correctly,and  keep chopping it off round edges.

Blueeyiz702

Oh,and Luke what cover setting do you use for your collection for movies,tv and music?