Audio Metadata - Database Duplications & Uncorrectable Errors

Heckler

Happy2Play

@@Luke @@PenkethBoy

For AC/DC this is an issue with the "/" separator in the "Artists" field.  Changing that field in embedded tag corrects the ",|" addition.

580c05b56f5c3_artists.jpg

Doesn't look like many taggers offer that field.  I used MusicBrainz Picard to edit that field.

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

@@Happy2Play

do you mean change the Ac/Dc tag in the nfo for the artist or the albums or both - and delete the | artist?

The embedded track metadata.

580c1298c06a6_artists.jpg

PenkethBoy

Happy - waste of time the db puts it back - i just removed my whole ac/dc directory - scan - cleaned - removed all trace of | and it comes back when you place the directory back - by the way my directory has always been called AC-DC

So i suspect its a passing error in the json/xml file from MBz - but why does it not mess up the descriptions when they have ac/dc in them????

@@Luke

this behaviour of being stupidly difficult to convince the app to accept changes - not the "/" problem - would explain a lot of issues reported and i have seen over the last couple of months

the logic of precedence of db vs metadata (in its various forms) and how changes are dealt with has some inconsistencies which makes it very difficult to correct errors - we have discussed this in other threads - titles on specials for example

most of the time you have to remove the whole directory to get emby to recognise something new without a lot of too and fro

needs a logic review as its mega frustrating as we have found out tonight

There a couple of other errors to do with music i have found tonight but i will save those for tomorrow

PenkethBoy

happy just seen your latest post - did not do that

its a fudge fix as that metadata is correct

and its something new as it was fine before - not sure of when it changed as OP caused me to spot it

Happy2Play

The "/" is a known separator when it comes to multiple Artists and is the issue with AC/DC.  All I did was change the Artists field and a Refresh of AC-DC to get what I posted above.

Happy2Play

@@Heckler you many need to check your embedded metadata with a tagger that shows "Artists" field, since that is the fields shown in some of your screenshots.

Running "ffprobe -i the tracks full path" will show that tag also.  I can list the process if needed.

Edited by Happy2Play

Heckler

@@Heckler you many need to check your embedded metadata with a tagger that shows "Artists" field, since that is the fields shown in some of your screenshots.

Running "ffprobe -I the tracks full path" will show that tag also.  I can list the process if needed.

I'll be needing instructions on how to do that... because you lost me.  :)

I deleted my library.db and allowed it to rebuild overnight.

Checked it today and it's added back nearly all of the artists without the duplicated data.... However... all is not well.

The data in the mp3tags listed the band Echo & The Bunnymen as  Echo And The Bunnymen and no metadata was collected.... Stupidly I corrected the metadata within emby and allowed it to grab the band info... and it immediately duplicated the band name as before... and cannot be removed.

On going through my music, I've found 5 bands that emby isn't grabbing artist info/images for but the album/track info seems good... and as for the band B*Witched... which has a folder name of B Witched... that's missing entirely... and others may be too as I seem to have lost more artists from the total number than were actually duplicated.

I'm obviously reluctant to make any changes that could cause the problem to happen again... and feel there should be a simple way to delete info in the library.db without having to rebuild the entire thing... which in my case took 11hrs, and is still missing loads of images for people

Edited by Heckler

PenkethBoy

Happy - i updated all my tags in the ac/dc albums to AC-DC and refreshed after deleting all the nfo's

No joy the | is back for all tracks

goign to try removing the directory again and is if that will fix it

• Like 1

Heckler

Happy - i updated all my tags in the ac/dc albums to AC-DC and refreshed after deleting all the nfo's

No joy the | is back for all tracks

goign to try removing the directory again and is if that will fix it

It's funny that I'm not actually having this issue with AC/DC, my folder is labelled  ACDC though, and artist and album artist as AC/DC, so perhaps try that.... But as I've found if the incorrect data is in the library.db already... there's no easy way to get rid of it.

Hi,

Thought I would join the fun with AC/DC. First let's agree we are dealing with probably the most extreme edge case. The "/" creates problems for everyone, so much so it is "white listed" in programs, emby included to handle it at all.  With that being said...

@PenkethBoy, @Happy2Play

My results mirror Penkethboy results, I haven't been able to get the "|" not to show as an artist in the track listing. A couple of things... I use the default naming string and illegal character replacement ( _ ) from Picard. and let Picard "auto-organize"

Picard creates the directory structure etc as below.

580cd636baf3c_AC.png

The tags are all accurate.

emby creates the artist AC/DC two places ( in my music library) and under /metadata/artists. In metadata/artists it is created "AC DC".  If I rename to "AC DC" in my music library and delete the "AC DC" in the metadata/artists directory, run a database clean and library scan. It is not recreated in the metadata/artists folder which is all good :)

I saw a folder just called "artists" show up in the metadata/artists folder that had in the nfo the pipe"|" as a name. Deleting that didn't seem to get rid of it in the track listing.

580cd938d92d4_AC1.png

So there is still probably something amiss.

@@Luke, emby is doing a great job 99% of the time. many thanks!!. One thing that would help if the underscore (_) can be added as an excluded  character in emby.naming (??) or something. Not sure it impacts the pipe issue. But would definitely help with the "R.E.M." , Gary Clark, Jr." etc as Picard creates them as R.E.M_, Gary Clark Jr_ etc. and as noted AC/DC is created as "AC_DC"

Thanks,

vicpa

Edited by Vicpa

PenkethBoy

Ok i had another look at my tags and had missed a couple in mp3tag as they were extended tags - i.e. atrists where as artist is not

moved the albums out of library - scanned - cleaned - put back and are now | less :) - still a pia to do

Edit - my AC/DC directory is AC-DC - not sure thats significant or not :)

========

have found another similar issue with Florence + The Machine - its in twice on each track

but this time the Metadata in Emby has a capital T for "the" which in the track metadata is lower case for the five instances per track

The capital T i suspect is coming from the Directory name

Ok  - i changed each tag instance and only artists changed the display so now have only one F + The M for each track

So it appears that artist and Albumartist are less important for music metadata and get over ridden by Artists - hmmmmm

Change Albumartist to something randon - i chose boris - F+M disappear from Albumartists page - expected - boris does not appear after refresh

Changed also Artist to boris - no boris in artist list - after refresh

Changed also Artists to boris and boris finally appears after a few refresh attempts

So changed back artist to F+M and no change after refresh

changed albumartist back - refresh and F+M re appear - boris (lol - actual exists) disappears - but still in artists list - ok

but Florence + the Machine now has a upper case T again - which i did not put in Metadata for tracks - so i guess the directory name was used

Changed the remaining three tags back to "Florence + the Machine" - refresh

and we are back with two "Florence + The Machine" entries

Changed the directory name to lower case t and refreshed - the directory name has & rather than +

Emby sees the "new" directory - waited 10 mins for Emby to do its thing - currently have two F+M albums both with upper case T

Decided to do a library scan to clear the duplicate album - no joy

Running a db clean - second album now gone

Still have - "The" and double artists

Changed Artists tag to The from the

Refresh

And back to single Artist per track

Think this is fairly conclusive - get your Artists the same as emby wants them :)

Emby does a great job yes - some of this thread is an edge issue some not so sure

Edited by PenkethBoy

Happy2Play

I believe there is a order of precedence with each field and Artists being first, but haven't tested.  I believe this is the cause because that field lists multiple artists when available and people were complaining not all Artists on tracks were being listed by Emby.

Edited by Happy2Play

PenkethBoy

Yes the whole metadata opaque "apparently" random/illogical application to items needs a good description - am more than willing to write it but could do with a bit more info.... as messing around like this is interesting initially but gets quickly to PIA time.

Be interesting if we just get a one line answer or something more.... -  :D  :blink:

Happy2Play

Didn't know you could add tags in mp3tag, but figured it out (view-customize columns-new).  Used same parameters as Artist.

580d161d8664a_artists.png

@@Heckler

For checking the file with ffprobe, open a command prompt and change directory to where ffprobe is located, then ffprobe -I path to file.

example - This shows the track information Emby can see.

cd C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\ffmpeg\20160410

ffprobe -i "C:\Users\username\Desktop\Music\AC-DC\Back in Black (2008)\AC_DC - 01 - Hells Bells.mp3"

Also note that clearing the Artists field for AC/DC cause Emby to display correctly also.

580d1a1de63c1_Artists.jpg

PenkethBoy

nice one on the adding extra tags to Mp3tag - missed that one.

i was using Picard when testing above as want to make sure i kept metadata a close to original as possible

Happy2Play

@@Luke

There appears to be a doubling affect if there is metadata in music artist folder (music\AC-DC) and metadata\artists\AC-DC folder.  The artist was listed twice under Artists and all tracks showed artist doubled.

Removing metadata from music\AC-DC folder resolves the doubling issue.

Edited by Happy2Play

PenkethBoy

"Removing metadata from music\AC-DC folder resolves the doubling issue."

Huh???

Change not remove

Happy2Play

"Removing metadata from music\AC-DC folder resolves the doubling issue."

Huh???

Change not remove

Had to remove it from one location, since Title tag and folder name don't match it creates issues of not displaying.  People have the same issue.

Heckler

OK, I'm slowly getting on top of the duplicates issue... a combination of going into the users/roaming/metadata & image cache folders to weed out and delete anything related to the band in question... a refresh of the mp3tag data... even if it's only to resave the tags, then a database cleanup and a full scan and then artist refresh... Finally I've managed to get rid of the duplicated Echo & The Bunnymen tags that had reappeared after cleaning it up last time... Because Emby definitely has a glitch when it comes to prioritising artist names... In my opinion it should take that priority from the mp3 tag and NOT the folder name due to the issues mentioned about non standard characters in names.

Also found others, ELO (Electric Light Orchestra) and OMD (Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark)... as Bands are know by both names and using the shorter function is perfectly acceptable for folder naming.

But still no resolution to the Red Dwarf TV show issue... I may have to actually get this ffprobe program and delve into the DB to see if I can find and remove the data and rebuild.

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

Had to remove it from one location, since Title tag and folder name don't match it creates issues of not displaying.  People have the same issue.

Ah ok this is another issue on top of what we were talking about! :)

Happy2Play

@@Luke

Here is one of the issue everyone is referring to and the same has been discussed about people.  If you edit the title field Emby drops the person do to mismatch, but still available in search.

mismatch do to edit

58194115d2558_mismatch.jpg

display properly do to matching title and path

58194169cf294_match.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
FrostByte

I was having the same issue with AC/DC as others here while I was running beta and though I tried everything suggested I just couldn't get AC/DC to show up correctly again even though it was correct for the longest time before.  Then I had another issue with beta and decided to fall back to stable using a fresh install and now AC/DC shows up correctly again without any intervention from me other than the initial scan of my libraries.  Eventually, I'll get back to beta and see what happens then.

My folder structure is AC-DC\Albums btw

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1