Server - Photo Library; calendar like heat map

Sludge Vohaul

Sludge Vohaul

Hi,

Idea
The Photo Library needs some sort of reports to visualise the metadata (not the images) in order to manage /create it.

Motivation
Many have probably some 10k+ photos stored in year/month folders without any tags, as it is a PITA to tag them (at least for the lazy ones like me). This makes it impossible to find anything in the library (like for example the photos taken during last year's summer holiday), except one knows the month. Or even worse, photos taken during that important event back in 2001 or maybe 2002.
Though the photos themselves do not have any metadata, quite a lot of information can be mined from their existence:
One probably still knows that one has taken quite a lot of photos during the important event back in 2001, so in order to find them one would only have to search for days back in 2001 when unusually many photos have been taken.
Same for the last year's holiday - one usually takes more photos on holidays than on regular work days.
This can be easily be visualized with a heat map showing tiles for each day of a year colored in dependence of the amount of photos taken during this day. One would still not know what happend on a particuliar day, but one would know that it was important, because so many photos has been taken). 

Proposal

This is not a real proposal as it should be more generalized (*) to fit into the whole architecture, but there should be a button displaying this sort of information (the first image (heat map) on this page):

http://timelyportfolio.blogspot.de/2012/04/piggybacking-and-hopefully-publicizing.html

Further thoughts

Regarding the database data, it is absolutely trivial (select count(photoid), date from table where year=x group by date). I think the problem is to make such reports fit into the application. A report like this is pretty, but without any further functionality rather useless.

As a user I would want to select the "red" days, view all the photos taken during them, eventually remove one or another (possibly on the border days), and mass tag them with e.g. "holiday" and "summer" ("holiday 2015" would be wrong as the photos already have a creation date which could be searched, but this is another story).

(*) By generalized I mean that there might be many more similar reports, like for example a map view with the locations where photos have been taken during 2015.

What do you think?

Edited by Sludge Vohaul
  • Like 1

PenkethBoy

Nice sludge

i have over 500k of photos and would like feature like this to weed out the rubbish and order them - so ihave one place to hold all my media - emby does choke at the moment but that might be sqllite not sure - another thing on my list of things to check :)

Maybe some of the tagging features of Picasa could be considered and the search options etc as its now dead although still does the job

adding face recognition would be a feature i would like to see but it takes a lot of cpu and memory to do properly maybe a low priority thread could tick away in the backgound and pause when something more important needs to be done etc