mbc crashing

hollatbk

hollatbk

I've downloaded and installed the MB Server onto my HTPC.

After the initial configuration of the server I downloaded and installed MBC. I was prepared to completely reconfigure my setup, however I was not prepared to run into the amount of problems that I have thus far.

I can't seem run MBC for more than a few minutes before I get "Media Browser 3 is not responding" error.
When it does work, it is miserably slow.

I've run MB2 on my HTPC for the past 2 years or so with no problem.

I thought it may have been an issue with the theme I was using. However I removed the theme and still having the same problems.

Cheesegeezer

I've downloaded and installed the MB Server onto my HTPC.

After the initial configuration of the server I downloaded and installed MBC. I was prepared to completely reconfigure my setup, however I was not prepared to run into the amount of problems that I have thus far.

I can't seem run MBC for more than a few minutes before I get "Media Browser 3 is not responding" error.

When it does work, it is miserably slow.

I've run MB2 on my HTPC for the past 2 years or so with no problem.

I thought it may have been an issue with the theme I was using. However I removed the theme and still having the same problems.

Hi there,

By the sound of it your firewall might be blocking access to the server.

However if you could supply logs as Latchmor says using the link provided it would be much appreciated.

Ta

Cheesegeezer

This is the log from the last time I ran MBC.

Even though it didn't crash it seemed to not be responding for 10-15 sec at a time.

Server Version 3.0.5131.18923

I have no idea what MBC version I'm running because it freezes to much for me t o get into the settings to look.

If you open up MBC configurator it will tell you MBC version in top right corner.

With regards to the logs, the initialization seems to be taking over 7 secs. And your local address is not a standard one. How are you connecting to your server/NAS.

Are you sure that you have opened your ports on your router to allow port 8096 thru.

@@ebr can you have a look thru the log and see if there is anything else i've missed. The only errors in the log refer to missing artwork for movies by genre, favourites, etc, no biggies. Seems to be the kernel thats making creating these long start up times. He's using default theme and no plugins as of yet.

Cheers

hollatbk

I'm running the server on the same computer as MBC.

I am however not using the UNC file paths. Could that be an issue?

Cheesegeezer

I'm running the server on the same computer as MBC.

I am however not using the UNC file paths. Could that be an issue?

It is recommended and pushed to use UNC paths for maximum compatibility.  Give that a go and report back how you get on. It will mean deleting your existing library paths.  

Here's what i would suggest you do.  

Delete your library paths.

Click on the Dashboard Tab in the library, then click the plus sign on System paths.  Navigate to your logs directory and delete all the logs in that folder.

Then start adding your UNC paths to the library, this will trigger a library scan while this is happening.

Once your library scan has completed.  Post the Server log here.

Go and Try MBC now, and post up the latest log once MBC has loaded up.

Cheers

hollatbk

I opened up ports 8096 through 8945 on my router and it seems to be working better now.

I'm not sure if it had anything to do with that or with the fact that it has finally finished scanning my whole library.

I'm going to go ahead an do what you have suggested.

I tried using the UNC paths before using the write up here.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/703-how-to-make-unc-folder-shares/

I was a little confused about adding the Windows user account that the MB3 server is on to the permissions.

Cheesegeezer

I opened up ports 8096 through 8945 on my router and it seems to be working better now.

I'm not sure if it had anything to do with that or with the fact that it has finally finished scanning my whole library.

I'm going to go ahead an do what you have suggested.

I tried using the UNC paths before using the write up here.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/703-how-to-make-unc-folder-shares/

I was a little confused about adding the Windows user account that the MB3 server is on to the permissions.

Yeah that is a very good tutorial, as it covers all bases with regards to UNC sharing, specifically allowing only the admin(your user account) to have read/write access to MB's shared folders, other users (kids, adolescents on other user accounts) would only have the rights you allow them, such as read only.  

This way at least you'll know it's only you that's done something to a share, and not anyone else in the house.  However everyone gets the privilege of sharing your media library.

I didn't realise that your library scan was still going. Server logs would have confirmed this. 

So now that your scan has finished, how is the MBC experience as a whole, much faster I gather.

Edited by Cheesegeezer
  • Like 1

hollatbk

Yeah it was working a lot better once the initial scan had completed.

I deleted the local file paths and added the UNC file paths.

It back to scanning again and the problem's (interment freeze while scrolling through menu's and "program not responding" error)  have resurfaced.

The first 2 minutes or so of the scan went fairly quick, however in the last hour its gone from 46% to 47.5%. Seems like its taking a bit long.

I'll give it some time while I read through some of the tutorials.

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

Yeah it was working a lot better once the initial scan had completed.

I deleted the local file paths and added the UNC file paths.

It back to scanning again and the problem's (interment freeze while scrolling through menu's and "program not responding" error)  have resurfaced.

The first 2 minutes or so of the scan went fairly quick, however in the last hour its gone from 46% to 47.5%. Seems like its taking a bit long.

I'll give it some time while I read through some of the tutorials.

there are no other sheduled tasks running are there?

You can refresh the page, very occasionally you can get some false readings.  Or it's probably hit your TV Series and sifting thru the thousands of episodes that are there.

Let us know how you get on.  Once the scan has finished, if you are still experiencing issues please post up server logs and MBC logs and we'll get to the bottom of this.  But I think you'll be fine.

hollatbk

I took a look at the logs and its updating my music collection. Its pretty large, hopefully when it's done with that it will speed up a bit.

Cheesegeezer

I took a look at the logs and its updating my music collection. Its pretty large, hopefully when it's done with that it will speed up a bit.

How did you get on? I'm hoping by your silence that you've been enjoying MBC :D

• Like 1

hollatbk

How did you get on? I'm hoping by your silence that you've been enjoying MBC :D

Things seem to be running a lot better now.

Now the fun part begins. configuring the overall look and feel.