Windows Server Running as Service

Deuce911
Go to solution Solved by carpediem,

MSattler

It looks like the update capability has been removed in the 3.1.194.  I no longer have the option showing.

There are issues with it, and I reported it and posted logs earlier in the week.

For me over the weekend it crashed twice trying to auto update, and left my server completely down.

FrostByte

It looks like the update capability has been removed in the 3.1.194.  I no longer have the option showing.

I noticed that this morning too.  Someone might have to switch to dev

hatharry

Luke didn't like the "hacky" PowerShell pull request. So looks like you're going to have to roll your own until he writes a new service control wrapper.

EDIT: Shame, worked like a charm on 2 other systems with ffmpeg processes running.

Edited by hatharry
  • Like 1

MSattler

Luke didn't like the "hacky" PowerShell pull request. So looks like you're going to have to roll your own until he writes a new service control wrapper.

EDIT: Shame, worked like a charm on 2 other systems.

It just needs to have more error catching including, and more checks to ensure it does stop.  While it was nice to have the capability, it left my system down for hours twice because I wasn't nearby.

The other side to this is..... with the rate of change for the beta's being so high, do you really want to update that often on a production system?  Realistically most people should be on stable, which would rarely require restarts?  Just my 2 cents...

hatharry

I run release branch on my production systems, with known results from dev and beta.

Wasn't expecting it to be released to stable so quick with known bugs. Thats what the dev branch is for right?

Now the bugs have been ironed out, it's ready for beta. The code's there for the community to use. 

My production systems have their own fork to keep the servers as automated and headless as possible.

Edited by hatharry
  • Like 1