Android TV app not compatible with SCISHION V88 PRO TV Box Amlogic S905X Quad Core

billzkid
Go to solution Solved by RanmaCanada,

billzkid

Hi,

I've bought SCISHION V88 PRO TV Box Amlogic S905X Quad Core but I can't install android TV app, because play store says it's not compatible with my device. Would it be possible to get apk file to try if it works anyway.

Thank you.

Edit: link to the device: http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_434477.html

Edited by billzkid

RanmaCanada

EBR I own 6 of these, as I bought them when they were on sale for 20 bucks.  The issue here is that this box runs Mashmallow, and the firmware is a complete mess.  Have a long post on freaktab with several people trying to fix this broken rom.  The big issue is that the built in player does not play h264 or h265 properly at all.  If you are going to use this box, you need to 1, use a different firmware, 2 use an external player, as the S905X support on this box is inheritly broken to shit.  

Now by default the playstore on this box is broken.  100%.  billzkid you are going to have to follow this posting on freaktab http://freaktab.com/forum/advertisers-and-vendor-support-area/gearbest-com/598556-download-of-v88-pro-firmare  We have had several people try to fix this rom, and it's a disaster.  I have a stripped rom on it right now, and it still sucks balls as it will not keep programs minimized, they will crash constantly.  The mfg has posted an updated rom, but it's a baidu link and no one has been able to get it yet.  You are sadly going to have to wait it out with this box.

EBR to give you an idea how bad this box is, it's a S905X box, but it has the Rockchip version of kodi installed.  There were 2 versions of this box, RK3229 and S905X, so guess what rom is being used on the S905X haha.

Sounds like a great lesson in why these cheap Chinese boxes probably aren't worth the money (you think) you save. :)

• Like 1

• Solution
RanmaCanada

Billzkid, install either Scooter's firmware, or Kevins, and follow the directions.  If you do not have an A-A usb cable, please order one off of Ebay.  I have both versions of Emby installed on this box, and can vouch it is working.  You will have of course have to use spmc or mxplayer as the external player as the internal one will fail at playing back pretty much everything due to the lack of support in the rom.  These people aren't gods when it comes to fixing these roms, but they are close.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
billzkid

sorry for late reply, but i was away on holiday and then waiting for male to male A usb cable.

Thanks RanmaCanada. I've flashed with Scooter's firmware and everything works like a charm. Emby for Android TV is available in the playstore and it works awesomely!

Also thank you guys for great app (and overall emby experience) :)

Edited by billzkid

RanmaCanada

Yes I noticed you posted on freaktab.  Glad to read you are enjoying it.  I just hope Neomode's rom gets fixed as I would like to try his.  It's a great box, but it does get a little hot.  I added heatsinks to the ram to help.  Also we found out the reason apps crash in the background is because multitasking has been disabled by the mfg, so that the rom will run faster.