Live works in Theater but not on iPhone

WhackOBill

WhackOBill

I'm running ServerWMC build 1237 and I can watch Live TV on my wired desktops running Theater ... in fact, it works very well.

However, when I try to access LiveTV from the iPhone app (iPhone 7 w/ iOS 10.0.2) I just get the infinite spinner when I press the Play button both from within and outside of my home ... on channels that work fine in Theater desktop.

I've got my internal DNS setup such that I get a local LAN address when requesting the server name from within my house (wired or WiFi) and I get the external address when I'm outside using a carrier's DNS.  I also have the Emby hole punched in my firewall (Cisco ASA5505).

Are there a list of suggestions to look for in resolving this?  Is it DLNA related?  Is there another hole that needs to be punched for Live TV streaming?

I have a UNC share with Read rights for Everyone on the Recorded TV folder.  I also have the HTTP service enabled in ServerWMC.

Edited by WhackOBill

WhackOBill

I am, the box on the Live TV page for DLNA mode is checked for both Emby and Plex but it also greyed out so I can't modify it.  I assume it was forced to that setting for a reason.

WhackOBill

I figured out how to edit the XML settings file to turn off DLNA for MediaBrowser. I've booted and when I push play from the iOS device a stream opens in the SWMC console. It still never makes it over to the device though. I will upload the log for this at some point tonight. The system is being used by the family at the moment.

Hi, thanks. I'm looking into it. I don't think any holes need to be punched. I think there are just certain conditions where the apple video player is very strict and if there's anything like a bitrate spike it will just drop and stall.

can you please provide the server and ffmpeg logs so that i can review:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Thanks.

WhackOBill

Well, I've got the ServerWMC logs now and they are attached.  I'll have to read the Emby log instructions and post them when I get back to the machine.

I verified that the iOS app does still play much of my other content ... it chokes on a couple of MKV's I've found.  I should note that I do have the QuickSync transcoding feature turned on in Emby Server ... because my CPU utilization stays reasonable when using the iGPU for transcoding of course.

ServerWMC.1.log

Ok yea definitely try with quick sync off for comparison. If the non-quick sync scenarios also fail, then please attach a log for that too. Thanks.

WhackOBill

Well, with Transcoding Acceleration off Live TV works to my iPhone ... mostly.  In fact, the MKV's that weren't playing before now also work.  Each session though costs me 50% CPU utilization with my temp space on an SSD.  It's about 3% with QuickSync.

The interface on the iOS side seems to lock up when stopping a session.  If I hit Done in the player, the last video frame stays on the screen (horizontal) and I can't get the interface up to kill it.  If I then rotate the phone to vertical, I can get the interface to come up and hit the X button to get back out to the menu.

Still, I'm farther along now than when I started.  I'm calling it good and will keep loading updates hoping that the QuickSync stuff works better some day.  I sold a friend on Emby from his existing Plex due to the QuickSync acceleration.  I think they are trying to make QuickSync work on Plex but I don't think it's even close yet.  He's got a lot of iPads in his house and without QuickSync, he can't support the number of streams his kids generate.

Edited by WhackOBill

krustyreturns

@@WhackOBill

I looked over the serverwmc log.  Somehow in your config file dlna mode turned on for emby, but your tuners don't support dlna mode so serverwmc is ignoring the setting (is it possible you edited the config.xml file by hand).  So this is not the problem.

I looked at all the live stream strarts in the log and I don't see any problems, so I think serverwmc is starting the stream correctly.

You do have one unrelated problem in the log, serverwmc starts a recording library watcher (which is is a wmc dll function) that keeps track of the file changes in your recorded tv folder, this watcher is failing to start.  I have never seen this error before and I'm not sure why you have the problem.  Make sure wmc is running correctly and isn't posting any errors when it starts.

WhackOBill

ServerWMC installed with DLNA on for Emby. I've had older versions of ServerWMC installed on this machine for quite some time though I've recently upgraded it to try and solve this issue. I'm wondering if the setting is a holdover from an older version. I directly edited the config file just the other day for the first time to try and get past the issue.

I will check the event logs to see if I can figure out the other problem.