Live TV will only transcode

DavidS1977
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

DavidS1977

Hi, I've just setup a HDHomeRun (HDHR4-2DT(UK)) to use with Emby and I can't seem to direct play Live TV with it. For some reason it always transcodes.

I've attached the logs. Please could someone tell me where I am going wrong?

I'm using Schedules Direct, a DVB-T Freeview signal and in the UK.

Thanks for your help.

Log.txt

TRANS.txt

What app did you use if you are using emby theatre it shouldn't transcode unless you are trying it remotely but if you are using Ipad or roku it will generally transcode .

• Like 1

• Solution

Well I see one example in the log with Chrome, and Chrome does not support mpeg2video, so that explains that.

If direct play is important, than I would suggest using an app like Emby Theater that can handle mpeg2video. As of today there is no browser that can play it without transcoding.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Theodore

Reviving this topic unfortunately, but rather than starting a new one...

Emby is transcoding live TV when playing to WMC and the stutter is unwatchably bad. It transcodes when playing to Chrome as well, but it is smooth and watchable.

Is there a codec I am missing on the WMC PC? Is there any settings I should adjust to smooth it out? Do I have to use Theater?

Thank you!

Reviving this topic unfortunately, but rather than starting a new one...

Emby is transcoding live TV when playing to WMC and the stutter is unwatchably bad. It transcodes when playing to Chrome as well, but it is smooth and watchable.

Is there a codec I am missing on the WMC PC? Is there any settings I should adjust to smooth it out? Do I have to use Theater?

Thank you!

The WMC video player is very old and transcoding options are limited for it. If you cannot use live tv directly in WMC then yes I would use Theater.

Theodore

The WMC video player is very old and transcoding options are limited for it. If you cannot use live tv directly in WMC then yes I would use Theater.

Is there a way to force direct playing in WMC? I am receiving from an HD HomeRun CONNECT.

Theodore

How are you playing Live TV through Emby from WMC?

I have the HomeRun attached to the network and my Emby Server is reading the incoming stream. When I go to watch I select the channel in the browser to push/play onto the WMC machine.