Live TV – Transcoding Issues

taylorbourne
Go to solution Solved by taylorbourne,

taylorbourne

My Emby setup consists of a custom m3u playlist with Schedules Direct for guide data.

I've noticed that when I try to play live TV from my browser (Chrome, latest) or FireTV Stick it seems to always transcode. Most channels will work for a short period of time, then eventually I'll get a pop up warning me that there is a problem with the channel, I think sometimes it says to ensure a tuner is available? Is there any way to force direct play to any device whenever possible?

Aside from that, when I try to play my channels on my Amazon Fire Stick they will play for about 30 seconds to a minute before restarting playback from the start of the stream. This will happen over and over again. I believe I've noticed the same behavior when trying to play on the Xbox. I have enabled direct stream of live TV – same result.

Looking for advice on how to get things running more smoothly. If I take any of my stream URLs from my m3u playlist and play them in VLC they work perfectly fine. Are these problems likely caused by emby? Or could this be a shortcoming of my server – being that it cannot transcode the streams fast enough for smooth playback.

taylorbourne

Hey Luke!

Just now I was watching a channel via the web interface (chrome) and it was working fine for about 1 minute then the video disappeared and I was left back at the guide view. Attached is the ffmpeg transcode and my server log.

I'll update this thread again when I can provide logs for what's happening on my Fire TV stick.

Thanks!

server.txt

ffmpeg-transcode.txt

Edited by taylorbourne

taylorbourne

Awesome thanks Luke, seems to be much more stable now. Did I read in another thread that there's an update in the pipeline for FireTV? Also, did something about channel mapping change with the latest release? I'm getting 

2016-10-17 10:02:54.5364 Info App: Schedules Direct doesnt have data for channel: NBC NBC

For all my channels when they were mapping appropriately based on channel-id last week.

Thanks!

taylorbourne

Cool! Moved my guide data issue discussion to that thread. While my FireTV seems to be working better with live tv, I'm still having some issues in Chrome. When I try to play one of my channels (Bravo TV), I get the spinner for about 30 seconds then it just goes away with no action. Here's the relevant logs.

server.txt

ffmpeg-transcode.txt

taylorbourne

Didn't want to start a whole new thread again, but I'm also seeing issues with recording on the latest version of Emby for OSX. All my recordings last about 1 minute then fail. All the logs look similar to this:

{"Protocol":"Http","Id":"af7c9a57aa2b421e8eefd69901995df2_b8454f57a85d79e62b1ca3ee673942a5","Path":"http://smashtv.ddns.net:9090/load/xxx/782.mpegts","Type":"Default","ReadAtNativeFramerate":false,"SupportsTranscoding":true,"SupportsDirectStream":true,"SupportsDirectPlay":true,"IsInfiniteStream":true,"RequiresOpening":false,"RequiresClosing":false,"MediaStreams":[{"IsInterlaced":true,"IsDefault":false,"IsForced":false,"Type":"Video","Index":-1,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false},{"DisplayTitle":"","IsInterlaced":false,"IsDefault":false,"IsForced":false,"Type":"Audio","Index":-1,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false}],"PlayableStreamFileNames":[],"Formats":[],"RequiredHttpHeaders":{}}

/Users/Taylor/.config/emby-server/ffmpeg/20160124/ffmpeg -fflags +genpts -async 1 -vsync -1 -i "http://smashtv.ddns.net:9090/load/xxx/782.mpegts" -t 00:08:03.942 -sn -codec:v:0 libx264 -force_key_frames "expr:gte(t,n_forced*5)"  -vf "yadif=0:-1:0" -pix_fmt yuv420p -preset superfast -crf 23 -b:v 25000000 -maxrate 25000000 -bufsize (25000000*2) -vsync -1 -profile:v high -level 41 -map_metadata -1 -threads 0 -codec:a:0 aac -strict experimental -ab 320000 -y "/Users/Taylor/Media/Recordings/Series/The Simpsons/Season 3/The Simpsons S03E14 Lisa the Greek.mp4"

ffmpeg version 2.8.5-tessus Copyright (c) 2000-2016 the FFmpeg developers
  built with Apple LLVM version 6.0 (clang-600.0.57) (based on LLVM 3.5svn)
  configuration: --cc=/usr/bin/clang --prefix=/opt/ffmpeg --as=yasm --extra-version=tessus --enable-avisynth --enable-fontconfig --enable-gpl --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libfreetype --enable-libgsm --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopus --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxavs --enable-libxvid --enable-libzmq --enable-version3 --disable-ffplay --disable-indev=qtkit --disable-indev=x11grab_xcb
  libavutil      54. 31.100 / 54. 31.100
  libavcodec     56. 60.100 / 56. 60.100
  libavformat    56. 40.101 / 56. 40.101
  libavdevice    56.  4.100 / 56.  4.100
  libavfilter     5. 40.101 /  5. 40.101
  libswscale      3.  1.101 /  3.  1.101
  libswresample   1.  2.101 /  1.  2.101
  libpostproc    53.  3.100 / 53.  3.100
http://smashtv.ddns.net:9090/load/xxx/782.mpegts: Invalid data found when processing input

Seeing the same issues when trying to play a channel normally as well – plays for about 1min (almost exactly) then fails.

UPDATE: Just tried my Amazon FireTV after the update, still seeing the same problem there as well.. plays for about a minute then just quits to the guide. Also worth noting it ALWAYS transcodes.

Edited by taylorbourne

I don't think there's an Emby problem here. It looks like a bad url. When i test the url myself i don't get a video coming back, so of course ffmpeg is going throw an error.

taylorbourne

I've redacted my token – I'm only allowed one device so if someone found it I'd be banned! Let me know if you need me to pm you the stream

Ok, I understand. Nonetheless if ffmpeg is complaining about invalid input, I don't think there's going to be much I can do to help. I'm wondering if maybe you need an additional something else added to the url to make it send back video, I'm not sure.

taylorbourne

Hmm ok I can follow up with the provider and see if there's anything to add. Shouldn't there be a way for me to play the streams directly without ffmpeg though? Also, although I was previously having trouble getting live tv to be stable on FireTV, I was at least able to set recordings and they would finish all the way through. 

Edited by taylorbourne

• Solution
taylorbourne

After further investigation it seems like the issues I started seeing over the weekend were not an Emby problem. Looks like my streams are dropping off after about a minute for some reason. Weird – it produces the same result as what Emby was doing before the latest updates (server and Fire TV) when the streams were behaving properly.

• Like 1