Native TV to work with more tuners (not just HDHR)

Hi,

It would be really nice if Emby natively supported other tuners, such as DVB tuners, with BDA drivers, even if it just allows live / timeshifted TV.

I have tried every other option with the TV plug ins, and they all have considerable issues.

A simple way of adding one little USB DVB-T2 tuner to Emby to access and timeshift live TV would be a fantastic additional feature!

lisa

pünktchen

Hi,

It would be really nice if Emby natively supported other tuners, such as DVB tuners, with BDA drivers, even if it just allows live / timeshifted TV.

I have tried every other option with the TV plug ins, and they all have considerable issues.

A simple way of adding one little USB DVB-T2 tuner to Emby to access and timeshift live TV would be a fantastic additional feature!

lisa

Just out of interest, what are these issues in the specific addons?

Just out of interest, what are these issues in the specific addons?

Well, seeing as you asked... this might be a long answer...

I have a Windows 8.1 PC that is acting as a server, and is on 24/7. It currently runs Emby Server, and Argus TV Server, which is fine for dealing with my media library and for dealing with recording all of my TV and I enjoy web access to Argus Scheduler, so I can manage all of that remotely, and share the recorded TV folder as an Emby library.

But, I do not get live or timeshifted TV this way - so on all of the client machines (several throughout the house) we have to switch back to MediaPortal 1, to watch live or timeshifted TV. Or sit and wait for the recording to finish before we can watch it properly through Emby.

I have looked at all of the alternative TV server options that do have a plug in for Emby, but none are good enough to replace Argus, because they have much poorer scheduling options. So I tried to run an additional TV server alongside Argus just to get live and timeshifted TV in Emby but it didn't work out (I even bought a USB DVB-T2 tuner just for this, which is now spare).

I can't really risk using one of the TV options that uses an SQL database, as I don't want to risk conflicts with Argus, which has been rock solid for a number of years, and I fear that another SQL based TV option might corrupt the Argus database.

I couldn't get the free trial of DVBLogic / DVB Link installed, it came up with multiple errors, there wasn't much help available on their forums for the errors I was having, and I lost confidence in a 49 euro commercial product that fell at the first hurdle. 

I had NextPVR running for a while, but I kept getting the spinning circle in Emby Theater whenever I tried to play back live tv - it was very hit and miss as to whether it would start playing back.

Likewise with DVBViewer, although initially that did seem better than NextPVR, but also I started getting more spinning circles than actual live TV streams, and also lots of stuttering. Again it was very hit and miss, but it failed more often than it worked.

I can't try TV Headend as my server runs Windows, and I don't fancy switching to Linux - plus I would lose Argus then.

I haven't tried ServerWMC - it seems like a huge undertaking (and like going back 10 years) to install WMC on the server, and the plug ins to get that working. Just seems overkill and I don't want to risk de-stabilising my current set up.

I have looked at all of the alternative TV server options that do have a plug in for Emby, but none are good enough to replace Argus, because they have much poorer scheduling options. 

Can you expand on what scheduling options Argus has that the other's don't?

Can you expand on what scheduling options Argus has that the other's don't?

I would love to  :)

It has two functions that are really good, that is keyword recordings and keyword alerts. So, I have alerts set for keywords that people in our household are keen to catch if broadcast on TV, for example 'Doctor Who' or 'poker' or 'Kathy Burke'. Every time the guide is updated an alert will then be shown to highlight that a programme is coming up where those keywords are contained in the title or the description (this is all user configurable). If there are too many hits, you can narrow it down further, to specific channels for example, so you don't keep picking up re-runs on channels like Dave, or More4, also you can check for first runs rather than repeats.

You can do this for either alerts - Argus will alert you if there is a hit, or to record - Argus will automatically record if there is a hit.

Argus also remembers what it has previously recorded, and picks up new seasons of shows automatically.

I'll add some screenshots of the scheduler console that I use, that I can access from any Windows machine, there is also web access available from non Windows machines, but it's not as pretty!

post-140146-0-75326700-1476281603_thumb.jpg

post-140146-0-70591700-1476281604_thumb.jpg

post-140146-0-57665600-1476281605_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that.  Us supporting more tuners isn't going to give you that feature though so that would need to be a separate enhancement.

Thanks for that.  Us supporting more tuners isn't going to give you that feature though so that would need to be a separate enhancement.

Okay, I appreciate that. I probably would keep Argus going, to do all of my recordings, but would like to not have to switch away from Emby to watch live (or to timeshift) TV. If Emby supported my little USB DVB-T2 tuner then I could just use that for Emby TV live and timeshifted, and let Argus carry on doing all of my recordings in a folder that is within the Emby library.

PenkethBoy

Lisa

Thanks for the tip - Argus looks like the app i have been looking for - dont like any of the apps requiring a plugin - NextPvr looked like the one i needed but its buggy and sometimes corrupts the guide data

Couple of quick questions if i may

1) it looks like its not been updated since 2014 - is there still active development?

2) Wiki looks a bit out of date as well - wont be an issue if it works ok

3) was the install easy - any gotcha?

4) which sql db do you use?

5) have you tried importing xmltv data collected by Argus and its epg grabbers to Emby to give you live tv?

sorry more than a couple :)

Tim

@@PenkethBoy - no problem, I'm happy to help.

1. No - this is worrying, but the current version works, and I am hoping that developers will return if something groundbreaking happens that will require a code update. 

2. Yes, but I think all the info you need is probably there. There is still some activity in the forums also.

3. Install is not as easy as it could be. The main thing that is a right pain is that if you add any xmltv data - Argus TV creates a 'ghost channel'. Also the channels and services settings are not that logical, but once it's set you can leave it alone. Unless you need to re-scan for new or moved channels, that is a pain as well!

4. MySQL - I think it's the lite version.

5. Yes, I currently use the Schedules Direct JSON Service (just for my main channel group of 8 channels) and I use a community amended version of the Argus EPG Grabber to import it.

Argus is far from perfect, but I think I have tried every alternative now, and it is the best for my needs.

There is definitely a gap in the market for good TV server software - I am sure I am not the only one who would be happy to pay for something that is really good!

Edited by Guest

Argus also remembers what it has previously recorded, and picks up new seasons of shows automatically.

So do we.

PenkethBoy

@@lisag

thanks for the info i will give it a go in a few days just sorting out my new server first

Ok to ping you if i get stuck?

Yes - loaded up the Homerun software last weekend what a let down  - virtually zero features - grrr = and cr8p customer service

Oh well will give Argus a spin

hmm - Might have to dust off my coding gloves

Spaceboy

Both media portal and dvblink work fine on their own, I have both installed on 2 separate pcs. The plugin for media portal is much better though and mp is free

• Like 1

Both media portal and dvblink work fine on their own, I have both installed on 2 separate pcs. The plugin for media portal is much better though and mp is free

Thanks for that. I can't really use MediaPortal because it is SQL based, and I am already using SQL for Argus. DVBLink - I tried to install it on my laptop to test and got multiple errors, I tweeted them for help but got none, so gave up. I wouldn't mind paying for it it worked and there was lots of support and it was in active development.

Ian-Highlander

I know supporting other tv capture devices is on the long term radar, but is there any plan for development of Emby working natively with internal PCI-E tv cards installed in the server? HDHR availability in the UK is frankly awful, last time I looked (admittedly haven't looked in the last couple of months) there was only one compatible product and it was basic at best. I currently use a couple of TVS DVB/T2 cards with Windows Media center, but would love to be able to stick these in the server and let Emby take over.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

Thanks for that. I can't really use MediaPortal because it is SQL based, and I am already using SQL for Argus. DVBLink - I tried to install it on my laptop to test and got multiple errors, I tweeted them for help but got none, so gave up. I wouldn't mind paying for it it worked and there was lots of support and it was in active development.

Yeah you won't get much support from them. Their main tactic is to ignore all requests for help. Hi Oberon [emoji4]

Spaceboy

I know supporting other tv capture devices is on the long term radar, but is there any plan for development of Emby working natively with internal PCI-E tv cards installed in the server? HDHR availability in the UK is frankly awful, last time I looked (admittedly haven't looked in the last couple of months) there was only one compatible product and it was basic at best. I currently use a couple of TVS DVB/T2 cards with Windows Media center, but would love to be able to stick these in the server and let Emby take over.

There are options but the emby devs aren't really interested as it works well for the US. For example dvblink allows the service to be consumed by DLNA the same as the HDHR is but there is no interest in developing it

Actually we are very much interested in it. I think you are just underestimating the degree of difficulty.

• Like 1

Latchmor

I moved from internal quad PCI tuner to 2 x HDHR4-2DT a year ago (amazon have had them for ages), best thing I ever did as they feed Emby and WMC which I still use.

Spaceboy

I moved from internal quad PCI tuner to 2 x HDHR4-2DT a year ago (amazon have had them for ages), best thing I ever did as they feed Emby and WMC which I still use.

Yep I bought 2 of these, I'm less impressed than you. Emby is only now starting to touch some of the more basic functionality that's been in things like mediaportal and dvblink since the year dot. And these external services are 100% stable.

I've also had issues with my antennae, living in a basement flat in central London. I think I'm just going to have to give in and get my own put up rather than leaching off my neighbour

Spaceboy

Actually we are very much interested in it. I think you are just underestimating the degree of difficulty.

Well we're basically saying the same thing. It ain't happening soon. You're interested in a lot of things but what and with what priority is known only to you

Even if you picked one external services, perhaps via a vote, and fully integrated that in the same way you have with the hdhr I think that would make a lot of users happy. I'm open to using any external services it's just that receiving signal by satellite is so much better than receiving it via aerial in the U.K. And hdhr has no support for it unfortunately...

Edited by Spaceboy

Latchmor

Yep I bought 2 of these, I'm less impressed than you. Emby is only now starting to touch some of the more basic functionality that's been in things like mediaportal and dvblink since the year dot. And these external services are 100% stable.

I've also had issues with my antennae, living in a basement flat in central London. I think I'm just going to have to give in and get my own put up rather than leaching off my neighbour

Yeah I think that's maybe because I'm a WMC user and Emby TV is for testing purposes only at the moment. I also live quite high up and have very good reception.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
Armageus

Just bumping this one - has there been any updates with regards to natively supporting any more tuners directly e.g. BDA driver PCI-E/USB tuners?

Given the new integrated guide data available in Premiere, it would be great if we could make use with other tuners (as opposed to having to use an alternate Backend+plugin+different epg source)

• Like 1