DRM?

Asturaetus

Asturaetus

Hey guys following problem:

I have set up emby on my NAS server. But the server is in a physically separate network without any access to the internet - obviously because of security reasons. I don't want my NAS potentially exposed to the internet.

I purchased an emby premiere lifetime license because I wanted to use some of the offered features. But after a few days the license voids. No more badge with "Thank you for supporting emby."

Does emby continously check for verification online? I mean - I would have expected to get fucked by DRM if it were from a big gaming publisher. But I certainly didn't expect it here.

And it isn't even mentioned on the premiere page: https://emby.media/premiere.html

Or in the TOS: https://emby.media/premiereterms.html

If it were I would have steered clear of it.

And furthermore what use is it to continiuously verify a lifetime license?

Edited by Asturaetus

Yes, the server does need to validate the license every so often.

Unfortunately, this is the state of the market because people will purchase a license and then either cancel the payment or request a refund.

Thank you for your support.

Asturaetus

If it really can't be changed then I would suggest that you at least add a sentence or two about the online requirement to the premiere page and/or TOS.

Edited by Asturaetus
  • Like 2

Ian-Highlander

It is a valid point though, surely if it's a "lifetime" licence then it shouldn't need to be verified again after the initial verification should it? I can understand the need for verification of the monthly/yearly or whatever licences to ensure they're still valid, but surely by definition if a lifetime licence has been initially verified it's still valid?

Or am I missing something blatantly obvious here?

• Like 1

Or am I missing something blatantly obvious here?

people will purchase a license and then either cancel the payment or request a refund.

And also could share that key with 1,000 of their closest "friends".

Finally, there is a device limit on the Emby Premiere license.

Again, thanks everyone for your support.

Happy2Play

What is the device limit?

Pretty sure it is 15.

Emby Premier shall allow for a certain amount of concurrent devices per subscription for access to Premier only features and apps. Unless otherwise indicated on the website, Emby Premier shall be limited to 15 Devices at any given time. 
Edited by Happy2Play

The device limit only counts devices which require activation. So your web browser, wmc, kodi, roku... these apps would not count towards that limit. Dlna devices also dont count.

Edited by speechles

Happy2Play

So if I have 16 users, all using ET desktop, only 15 would have access?

Assuming the 16 users are using 16 different devices, yes.

I guess I'm trying to clarify 'device'. What constitutes a device?

A physical device - a phone, an htpc, a Fire TV etc.

TroyBennett

I personally only need a few devices, but if I ever did, for some reason, need more than 15 devices, how would I go about getting the additional device?  Would I have to have an additional server? Would I have to pay more for more devices? just curious.

So anything with a mac address, right?

Anything we can identify as a different physical device.  This is different on different devices but we avoid using network or adapter addresses because those don't really tie to a device.

Guest asrequested

And of course we can clear the device list. If a device isn't used for a long period, does the server automatically remove it? If not, that might be a nice thing to add.