Direct Stream Live TV using VLC

stratumorien

stratumorien

Just subscribed to Emby Premier.  After getting IPKG on my synology and then VLC installed on it, playback on my Android TV (nVidia Shield) is awesome. Once I selected "use VLC" in playback settings no more transcoding and great LIVE TV performance..

Now onto Windows 10 app EMBY Theatre.  I see very few settings in playback and nothing referring to VLC and transcoding is occurring for Live TV and playback is unwatchable. 

I appreciate any help as I am preferring to stay "ALL EMBY" vs move to another software solution for my HTPC. I am happy to support EMBY as I am a fan of the project.

Bri

Edited by stratumorien

stratumorien

I will follow up on this tonight, I just wasn't sure if there were additional playback settings I was overlooking in the Theatre App.

stratumorien

attached are logs after attempting playback of live tv (CNN HD Ch. 600) in Emby Theater Win 10 x64 app. Server is installed on a Synology DS 916+ and direct streams live TV effortlessly on NVidia Shield using VLC option.

Another side note... just previous to this test of live TV I had tested playback of mkv file (Prometheus) which started fine. However when alt tabbing to internet browser it suddenly quit playback and hung the app.

Thanks for looking into this.

Brian

transcode_log.txt

server_log.zip

blade005

Just subscribed to Emby Premier.  After getting IPKG on my synology and then VLC installed on it, playback on my Android TV (nVidia Shield) is awesome. Once I selected "use VLC" in playback settings no more transcoding and great LIVE TV performance..

Now onto Windows 10 app EMBY Theatre.  I see very few settings in playback and nothing referring to VLC and transcoding is occurring for Live TV and playback is unwatchable. 

I appreciate any help as I am preferring to stay "ALL EMBY" vs move to another software solution for my HTPC. I am happy to support EMBY as I am a fan of the project.

Bri

Have you tried the Desktop version of the Emby Theater app?

I have a W10 HTPC machine with both the W10 version of Emby Theater and the Desktop version of Emby Theater installed. Live TV on the W10 app will transcode the stream, while Live TV on the Desktop version of Emby Theater allows for Direct Play and no transcoding. I think when you use the W10 app you are bound by the capabilities of the windows media foundation layer that it utilizes. The desktop version of Emby Theater plays just about all of my media without the need for transcoding (MP4, MKV, TS, WTV, AAC, AC3, MP3).

Might be worth a try, if it fits your needs, based on your W10 client.

• Like 1

stratumorien

Report:

1. Live TV does direct play using the desktop app. No more transcoding on the server.

2. Client PC resources are at 50% utilization just browsing the guide. Very slow.

3. Playback video is smooth but quickly lost sync with audio. 5.1 bitstreaming over HDMI and hardware encoding is AUTO. though my NUC should support Intel Quick Sync.

4. Didn't see an option to use VLC for direct play as I have in the Android TV App....

Noticed a few copies of the process "electron" using about 20-25% CPU. EMBY theater is using about 20%. There are spikes that bring total CPU to near 100% and fan on the NUC kicks in just browsing the guide.

Edited by stratumorien

For what little it's worth, I've been having lip sync issues with Emby for months.

I finally traced it back to the Emby Theater app not being able to "keep up" with the live TV using direct play.

If I changed the process priority for Emby Theater and the Electron processes to high, the sync issue disappeared. Mostly, anyway. It would still come back, but it would take hours to be noticable, as opposed to being noticeable after 30 minutes.

Oddly, setting the max streaming rate in Emby Theater to 1080p/5Mbps, the sync issue is gone, even on normal process priority.

Emby Server is now transcoding live TV content, even in my local network, but it seems to work.

Thanks for the feedback. We'll have to look at the embedded lav filters and see if there might be an audio sync we can apply. Thanks.