Video freezes after x amount of seconds

Beardyname

Beardyname

So i reported this a back while with the linux build, but actually this occurs to me running the server on a windows machine.

What happens is that the video starts plays for a few seconds and then freezes and it thinks it's done.

ffmpeg log : http://pastebin.com/V7vDRDj7

server log is attached, since its very very huge. If you want i can also send you the logs from the phone!

//plumblum

*edit* i should also clarify that i can stream perfectly fine to a low-budget android tablet and web-streaming works fine as well!

Edited by plumblum

ScottIsAFool

Can you try playing another video, if that fails, can you then email me the logs from the phone. Go to the main page > app bar > about > logs > send logs.

Beardyname

tried and same thing happened, I am however unable to click "Send log" i can click clear logs, but that seems counter-productive :)

*Edit* just to save time i cleared the logs, and i am now able to click the send button ^^

so I'm gonna re-produce the freezing and send you the logs!

And now I am unable to send the logs again.... tried starting a few different videos and now the "Send log" button stopped working.

*Edit2* cleared the logs again, tried just one video and now I am able to send them.

Edited by plumblum

ScottIsAFool

Sorry, yes, did get the logs, been a bit swamped with things this week, will give you an update soon.

• 2 months later...
vanleeuwen

I have the same issue even though I am using high speed AC wifi any.mkv file freeze after around 5-10sec. Small TV shows that are .mp4 are fine.

Beardyname

Yep this is still not fixed even in the Closed Beta build i am currently running, i think @@ScottIsAFool will start looking on it after next "standard" update.

Beardyname

Nope, not sure if you saw it or no but as i mentioned in here : http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/4974-video-seeking-revff-is-disabled/ (bottom posts from me)

The problem seems to be due to higher quality videos (higher bitrate). spongebob sd in .mkv works but higher quality stuff like bd rip of arrow in the same container works.

At least for me all the containers work fine. :)

7illusions

Can you have a look on your server when this happens? Most likely it's a cpu shortage due to transcoding.

The logic for when to transcode and not and how we do it will change soon enough, we just need to do some further testing before it gets into beta. :)

Beardyname

@@7illusions absolutely :) still does not explain why it works on the gf's android devices but i will check anyway!

cpu spikes to ~94-98% (according to task manager) and then since the video freezes instantaneously and then goes back down to ~5.

I have set transcoding on the server to be as fast as possible, could it be that the wp app does not use that setting ? and therefore it works on the android devices.

I should add that I'm doing this on an older xeon but i would be fine on waiting for it to buffer, but it seems to "die" and not even try that.

Edited by Beardyname

7illusions

In the current release th wp app Always transcode, even if it could be able to play it directly.

Can you tell me the cpu usage on the server when you playback on the andoid device? It most likely doesn't have to transcode..

The transcoding setting has nothing to do with the app itself, it just tells the server what kind of stream it wants a the server provides it.

Current version of the app forces transcoding to a predefined maximum bitrate even if it could play it directly..

We had some issues with the server prior to the latest release which enforced this for WP and the Win8 app, but it will be changed soon. :)

Beardyname

Around 20-40% (More in the beginning less and less each the longer it goes on) is consumed by the ffmpeg process. so avg usage is around ~60 give or take a few.

The ui says the video is StreamCopy and the Audio Transcode. So i guess that means you are right :)

I just can't help myself but i have to ask, even if the cpu usage spikes, should that not cause buffering instead of completely giving up ?

And glad to hear you are working on it! MB3 gets a little better each and every day.

7illusions

Yes it should. But a qualified guess is that you try to play a h264 movie with acc?.. The wp version lacks a few things that was just added to the win8 app.

If you try the win8 app and check the cpu usage on that you will see how the wp app will perform in a not to distant future.

Beardyname

You are indeed correct :)

I will try out it later (only my laptop has W8) But seeing as this will be resolved I'm pleased.

jhoff80

I get this problem as well.  The WP app barely works on anything higher resolution.  The Windows 8 app (and the Roku app) have no such issue in streaming.