Music Says Use UNC path (but I did!!!!)

Gronnie

Hi there.

Music plays fine in web interface as well as Android, but will not play in Classic. It says that I should use a UNC path, but I did (\\PHIL-HTPC\Music). All my DVD, BD, and TV shows play fine, but not music. The music is located on another PC, while the other libraries are local on the same machine as the server, but also mapped using UNC path (\\Office\DVD, \\Office\TV Shows, \\Office\HDMovies)

Any idea what might be wrong?

I had something similar happen, and I can't remember for certain what the resolution was but I think it might have been because I did not have network discovery turned on on my htpc.  You can get to that setting in Win 7 by going to the Network and Sharing Center > Advanced sharing settings.

Your HTPC doesn't have proper permissions to see that UNC path or it cannot resolve it for some other reason.

Woudn't it be using the same path for the Web interface as well as Android? It works on both of those.

Woudn't it be using the same path for the Web interface as well as Android? It works on both of those.

No.  Those playback mechanisms are completely different.  That's why UNC paths are required for MBC.

OK, makes sense.

I have permission to access the files on the system my server is on as they are listed under network and I can navigate to them and play them. The system the files are on are my roommates and I don't have access to it right now, but I will this evening when he gets home from work.

I will check the network and file sharing settings on his system then. Anything else I should check?

Weird. As far as I know I didn't make any changes and all of a sudden I could access the music files through MB-C.