digital antenna splitter advice

Jeffpyn

Jeffpyn

Hi,

I am considering adding a 2nd HDhomerun connect. In my current setup the weakest signal is :

Signal Strength 94%

Signal quality 64%

Symbol quality 100%

I am concerned that a splitter will degrade the signal resulting in losing the channel.

Any suggestion on a quality splitter that would work ?

Should I consider adding some kind of inline amplifier ?

thanks for any help

Jeff

In my setup, I have a single amplified antenna on the roof, then use a Home Depot satellite grade splitter (Ideal 2.4Mhz - 5Ghz). Then it's connected to 2 HDhomerun extend units. The antenna ponts at a source 55mi away and the back of the unit receives a source 15mi away, and I have had no issues.

pir8radio

94% you should be fine with putting in a two port splitter...    But I have used these with pretty good success if you plan on adding more tuners in the future...  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Port-Cable-TV-HDTV-Digital-Amplifier-Internet-Modem-Signal-Booster-Internet-/112083258202?hash=item1a18aecb5a:g:N1sAAOSwARZXpEx4

@@Jeffpyn is there a gain amplifier on the antenna mast? The amp should be placed closest to the antenna as humanly possible. This is why your quality is only 64%. With an amp this should be high 80's at least. The signal strength is rated by resistance on the line. Every new cable run/device/splitter adds resistance to the signal strength. Your problem is signal quality. If that were a dish/direct TV install they wouldnt be able to leave it that way. The minimum for satellite installs is at minimum 70% signal quality. You need a good antenna (mast mounted) gain amplifier. Does rain ever cause channels to drop/blackout? This is because of signal quality.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

@speechless I think you meant to direct that at the OP. But in my case I have a power injector ahead of the splitter that powers an internal amplifier in the antenna.

@speechless I think you meant to direct that at the OP. But in my case I have a power injector ahead of the splitter that powers an internal amplifier in the antenna.

Haw yeah, I meant @@Jeffpyn. His shows need for pre-amplification before it ever hits the main cable run to the house. Excuse my mistake. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk