Getting hdhome run installed in 2016

ads

Hi Guys

Hdhome run is in the post (delivery today)

I wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of best approach to installing a hdhome run into a already configured emby setup?

What do i need to do to get all the function working (UK guy) from taking it out the box

Clients are Fire TV (main) and various ipad/iphones

Thanks

Plug it into your network than in the web browser type my.hdhomerun.com then there should be your device listed in hdhomerun hardware then click on the device link and another page will open the click channel lineup and select detect channels.

Then go to live tv tab in emby hdhomerun should be listed then in guide providers you will need an xmltv file or register with schedules direct if they support uk.

It is very straightforward hdhomerun has been designed for easy installation

• Like 1

So install went like a dream.

UK guy here, so steps could be different in other places

1.  Plug in Hdhomerun

2.  Go to live TV, in my case i used the Chrome app to get to my Emby server.  Its already found the device.  Nice work here, i was expecting troubles but it just worked

3.  Scan for channels, takes a few minutes

4.  Sign up for Schedules direct (they have UK guide data, and 7 day free trial, also $6 for 2 months if you need longer and $24 per year) whilst it find the channels

5.  Enter schedule direct information Username and password into Emby. I got a tip here that UK zipcode (postcode in UK) is using only the first 3 or 4 digits not the whole string.  So in my case the postcode is xxxx xxx and you only need the first xxxx part not the second xxx.  I did not use the whole string so might be a reason for step 6

6.  Pick region, this is not so nice (but i being really fussy now) as the postcode should already tell you region.  First choice was virgin and i had Sky etc.  I think emby could filter this out as it knows it is a freeview tuner due to already finding the hdhomerun so only freeview options could be displayed.

7.  Watch live tv from the guide.

20 minutes max including the cabling

Small bug i did find - if you go to the channel. It will display whats on that day on that channel.  The day is +1 so today is Saturday 8th but it was showing the day as Sunday 9th with todays guide information.  The normal guide data is correct

Thanks emby team, nice work and i already like the guide better than media center, especially that i can set it to record on another device (iOS) and not disturb whats on the main screen.

PenkethBoy

Be careful of that update as for the UK it NUKES HD  Playback

Have a call in to get it fixed

the irony is if you dont update you cant get any HD content

i think they need some beta testers :)

CBers

Be careful of that update as for the UK it NUKES HD Playback

It's working for me in the UK, as I have posted in the HDHomeRun forums.

PenkethBoy

@@CBers

ok maybe i need to re apply the beta

was HD working for you prior to the latest firmware update?

Edited by PenkethBoy

CBers

@@CBers

ok maybe i need to re apply the beta

was HD working for you prior to the latest firmware update?

Yes. I've never really had an issues with the HD channels.

I do wonder if it's a localised (regional) issue in the UK.

I'm in Kent using the Meridian feed.

PenkethBoy

yes was thinking that

or possible codec issue - but unlikely as have a Hauppaige and that plays hd ok on same pc - although that wont pick up HD channels today 

maybe Winterhill feed is goosed

Ok so a couple of days in

1. My signal needed boosting as it would break up on some channels. Done and stable now

2. Sd content (bbc1 for example) is a little blurry compared to media centre. Maybe the content was upscaled in media centre and not on firetv? See point 3

3. Get hd content (no bias updates as above). But the signal looks very nice in hd but interlaced tearing when the images pans around. I can watch BBC hd and it looks great but then the next prog will awful due to the change of content. Does this sound correct in the terms I used?

Do I have to play around with different players or settings to get hd content looking good or even sd content a little sharper?

Ok so a couple of days in

1. My signal needed boosting as it would break up on some channels. Done and stable now

2. Sd content (bbc1 for example) is a little blurry compared to media centre. Maybe the content was upscaled in media centre and not on firetv? See point 3

3. Get hd content (no bias updates as above). But the signal looks very nice in hd but interlaced tearing when the images pans around. I can watch BBC hd and it looks great but then the next prog will awful due to the change of content. Does this sound correct in the terms I used?

Do I have to play around with different players or settings to get hd content looking good or even sd content a little sharper?

Hi there, welcome. Yes we can help with this. The best thing to do is provide the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...

So been away for a few days back now and a bunch of updates later and sd works fine now. No blurry image but I lost hd channels completely from the guide.

In my case BBC hd in U.K.

Any ideas?

So been away for a few days back now and a bunch of updates later and sd works fine now. No blurry image but I lost hd channels completely from the guide.

In my case BBC hd in U.K.

Any ideas?

Hi there, we're sorry to hear about this. The best thing to do is provide the information requested in how to report a problem. Thanks !

Nathanio

Be careful of that update as for the UK it NUKES HD  Playback

I've lost HD playback by the webapps but works fine still when recording and direct streaming (Theatre app on Windows 10).