some questions about metadata save location

horstepipe

horstepipe

Hey

Before I setup a centralized metadata folder so my movie folders are "clean" I have some questions.

• At the moment, metadata and .nfo files are being stored in their corresponding movie/tv show folder. When I setup a metadata folder, what happens with these files, are they being deleted? If not, can I manually delete them without causing Emby to rescrape and re-download all that stuff?
  • Some day I might want to have the files separated in their corresponding movie/tv show folders again. Can I just uncheck the option for centralized metadata and on next library scan the files are being re-created?
  • When I have the same movie in different libraries (one real video file and one .strm file) will they share the fanarts (and .nfos?) or are the files being created for each movie separately?

Best regards

Edited by horstepipe

Hi, when you change the setting it is only applicable to new metadata that is saved going forward. It will not remove your current nfo files, but the server will still keep reading them as long as they are present.

• Like 1

We aren't going to migrate all of your files back and forth every time you change the setting so the answer to your first two questions is that you would need to delete them yourself and, yes, Emby would have to go back out and re-fetch.

The answer to the third question is they will have separate information.

Storing with the media really is the best option IMO.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
horstepipe

thanks,

So by having a tv show split up in two libraries (season 1-3 local video files, season 4-6 e.g. netflix .strm-files) there is no difference regarding file redundancy whether I save the fanart seperately or centralized, they're being created twice in both cases?

Regards

Whichever one comes back first from the database query, so from your perspective it will probably seem random.

• Like 1

horstepipe

Whichever one comes back first from the database query, so from your perspective it will probably seem random.

ok thanks so to make it clear auto organize shouldn't be used if you setup seasons in different libraries because you have no control about in which library new episodes will be stored?

horstepipe

Well if you don't care which one it ends up in then it would be fine.

unfortunately not.

I'm having 3 types of tv shows/seasons:

• tv shows
  • tv shows english only
  • tv shows netflix (here are .strm files for the Kodi netflix addon flix2kodi)

so some of my tv shows have different seasons in all those 3 folders. I split them up this way because not all of my users want to see english seasons and not all of my users use Kodi which is the only way to watch those .strm files. So I hide the corresponding libraries from these users.

I know this is a very special case, but maybe you have an idea how I can accomplish this without passing up the auto organize feature?