Per user profile max streaming bitrate

Lid
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Not sure if this is by design or a bug. It isn't a major issue for me but thought I would post in case it was a bug that could be easily fixed.

When I set the "Max streaming bitrate" under "Playback" for a user profile from the profile settings in the web browser it changes for both user profiles.

Example.

Profile 1 and 2 both start set to "Auto" > Change User 1 to "720P - 1.5 Mbps" > Both profiles are changed to "720P - 1.5 Mbps" > Change User 2 back to "Auto" > Both profiles are change to "Auto"

I have tried this with a variety of quality settings in case it was just with one that was causing an issue.

Thanks

• Solution

Hi, it's by design. The setting is intended to describe limitations of the device and/or connection.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

I was obviously thinking of this the wrong way. I was trying to use it as a way of enforcing a default streaming quality for a particular user. My girlfriend only ever streams from her house where she has a terrible internet connection. So I thought if I set her profile to 1.5 Mbps everything she streamed would be set to that quality. 

I would try just leaving hers on auto. When set to auto the app will try and measure the ideal bitrate. I would only change it if auto produces a result with a bitrate that's too high. In her situation you might have to do that, but i would try auto first.

On auto she was telling me it wasn't playing very well, stuttering by the sound of it. Although I haven't tested this from her connection to see what it was like. She set it to one of the 720P settings 1.5 or 2 Mbps I think and said it played fine after that.

At the time she was having problems I wasn't doing anything else on the server and the CPU, memory and disk usage was all very low. I also didn't have anything else downloading or more importantly uploading from the server side. I could see her connection on my firewall and it was maxing out her crappy download (2 Mbps) most of the time.

I am going to run some tests from my work tomorrow or next week and see how it performs for me there with a better connection. And get her to do some more testing from home as well.

Thanks for the replies.