interesting read about Kodi drama

mgworek

Jdiesel

I think it is safe to say that the majority of people running media servers/HTPCs have some grey area media whether it be a rented blu-ray they ripped then returned or outright downloaded pirated content. I'm sure there are a few running completely legal setups but I am guessing that is the exception.

The 3rd party streaming addons have really taken it too far in my opinion though. When things become too accessible to the general public it usually ends up ruining it for everyone. The Kodi brand has been tarnished hugely by these "loaded box" sellers and now Kodi is associated with piracy. People who have no idea what Kodi, free open source software, is now believe that it is for "free" tv and movies on an Android box. I suspect that it is one of the contributing factors to the loss of the Kodi Android developers. The Kodi forum is bombarded with complaints about buffering issues, support on Chinese android boxes, and poor picture quality. I would really like to see the illegal addon market die ASAP.

I am glad that Emby does not have this same issue as it really takes away from the brand.    

mgworek

The 3rd party streaming apps have been there since the start of XBMC. I would be sad to see them go but understand. They have done a really good job at cracking down on them but now this whole problem is there. Why do a small group of people always have to ruin things for everyone else!

Jdiesel

I suppose I am okay with these streaming addons existing but what bothers me is when people monetize it and sell it to people who don't know any better. If I go on my local online classifieds there are no less than a dozen people selling <$50 Chinese Android boxes with addons for $200-250. $200 to install some free software, really? I remember seeing the same thing back when Dish Network was available on FTA receivers. People who profit off piracy really bug me.