Spammed FFMPEG processes caused massive server problems

FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept

ffmpeg-ran-away.png

When I initially switched to the server via KVM, the mouse was skippy. It took many minutes for the server to finally open Task Manager to see the problem.

I'm not entirely sure what logs are important so I attached everything.

This is in the current beta and a pretty severe bug.

logs.zip

Edited by FordGT90Concept

They arent' actually stranded. The server will clean them up after a short while. The issue is that playback failures in mobile ie11 are causing the video player to restart over and over. I think it may just be best to not offer playback in mobile IE anymore.

FordGT90Concept

I don't think the issue started with mobile IE11. Basically how today went as Emby is concerned:

1) Uninstalled Emby Stable and installed Emby Beta

2) Watched debate and several other shows on my computer.

3) Added another HD Homerun Connect

4) Watched more shows on my computer.

5) Tried to start the debate from the 1:20 chapter on a Leelbox. It locked up. Tried again and again. I suspect whatever performance issue was happening was already going at this point because it's likely the lockups were caused by it.

6) Tried on IE11 on a Surface, locked up.

7) Tried to pull up the same video on my computer, locked up.

8) At this point realize something is seriously wrong with the server, eventually get Task Manager up, and see the wall of FFMPEGs.

9) --This is about the point where this thread was created.--

10) Killed all of the FFMPEGs and restarted the Emby service via Dashboard.

11) Still couldn't playback the debate.

12) Restarted server.

Edit:

13) Emby service, despite being set to Automatically start, failed to automatically start. I had to manually start the service.

14) Everything appears to be working good again...

every log I looked at was IE mobile, which includes surface. since you're on a surface you have the ability to install an alternative browser. i would highly suggest doing that.

FordGT90Concept

Surface as in Surface RT (Windows ARM). It's extremely limited in terms of browser support.

Can't the server do something to prevent the spamming? There should only be one stream per client, no? Close previous before opening new?

I have same issues on my win 2012r2 server and i think that this came sometime with the last updates. Before i had no such problems. Now i disable monitoring on my series libary and this stopps silly ffmpeg processes.

server-63610908642.txt

FordGT90Concept

I'm 90% sure I was running 3.1 beta when it happened. It appears you're running 3.0. Server 2012 R2 is certainly a commonality.