What do you guys think of the new Amazon/Plex cloud service?

Bjorr

Guest asrequested

Wouldn't that technically be any rip? I mean whats the difference if I rip a movie myself, or if someone else does and posts it online. The whole point in ripping is to remove the copyright.

What does that leave then just digital downloads?

I'm not sure how they do it. I know they do it for music. I tried uploading a bunch of music to their cloud. They locked most of it and made it unusable. I imagine they do something similar with movies. There is some kind of 'allowance', that if you own the disc, it's ok, but how they would know that.....?????

Maybe with Plex, they make Plex take responsibility, and allow whatever the user has?

Edited by Doofus

denethor

I'm not sure how they do it. I know they do it for music. I tried uploading a bunch of music to their cloud. They locked most of it and made it unusable. I imagine they do something similar with movies. There is some kind of 'allowance', that if you own the disc, it's ok, but how they would know that.....?????

Interesting point.

Plex Cloud sync was already here for a while. I have never heard anyone to complain about Amazon file blocking. Now I am testing it for some of my music and movie files to see what will Amazon do about it.

I believe Cloud version of Plex may block your friends to access your libraries. Library sharing should be disabled between Plex users. Otherwise this will escalate very quickly.

Or may be this will turn into something huge: Netflix like paid streaming service with your own data. If they charge you enough money (Amazon + Plex Cloud Server (separated from Plex Pass)) to satisfy copyright holders; than why not? Remember, Amazon Prime members can already stream lots of content from Amazon for free. Now you have to pay 59$ for storage and some extra to Plex. Viola we have a business model.

Imagine a Netflix with your own content; your own home movies, your own pictures, Phone Sync and your local copies. People are using lots of separated apps for all those needs.

Actually this is something really cool. They can beat Apple Music+iCloud because Apple does not have Movie subscriptions like Netlifx and Amazon  you still have to pay per movie with the Apple model. Let see what will happen in next 6 months.

Spaceboy

Really? That sounds nuts. Ive only lost 2 drives over the past 7 years.

totally thought the same, I had one drive die in 10 serious years of htpc'ing. Even that I was able to get all but a couple of files off it before it gave up

PrincessClevage

From what I have gathered so far:

1. Plex is hosting the server for you. Free of charge if you are a Plexpass account holder. They have not decided if they would be charge extra for it.

2. You sign up for amazon drive. Amazon drive apparently is truly unlimited. Someone said they uploaded up to 200TB and there were no restrictions. Someone also mentioned they were able to upload up to 40GB+ file size without any issues. The limitation is application but not API base.

3. The only issue people are wondering about is encryption. According to Plex, if you are not running some sort of service business with your server you should be fine. Not sure if that truly means Amazon does not care about your illegal contains.

4. Plex Cloud server is capable of transcoding.

Sounds like a win to me. I would love to not worry about loosing drive. That's pretty costly. I loose 1 or 2 drives a year.

I have had a thecus 7bay nas for 5 years and never had a drive issue (just lucky maybe ) :-/

breezytm

I have had a thecus 7bay nas for 5 years and never had a drive issue (just lucky maybe ) :-/

totally thought the same, I had one drive die in 10 serious years of htpc'ing. Even that I was able to get all but a couple of files off it before it gave up

Really? That sounds nuts. Ive only lost 2 drives over the past 7 years.

Lol that's what i keep hearing from others but I have the red WD drives in a QNap. I've been lucky since they were under warranty and now they are no longer. My next failure is a purchase. 

I had the black drives in my previous QNap for 5 years with no issues. I really think its the drives but I must also say I never used to have as much traffic going to my server now as it did in the past. Someone is always streaming from me whether its through Plex or Emby.  Plus I have tons of other stuff going on as well through scheduler. The server really never sleep. 

Spaceboy

I'm not even using red drives! Think 8 out of 10 4tb drives in my nas are green and have been happily running for2 years in there. Some also did a 2 year stint in my HTPC before I started using a nas. I understand the stats that people fling around with regards to drives, I've just never experienced it

mastrmind11

I had 4 Seagate drives fail in probably that many years.  Switched to WD Red (NAS) and happily humming for that past 3 years.

shaefurr

I have 8 Western Digital drives, 6 green, 1 Black, 1 Blue. Black for the OS, Blue for games, greens for media, of those 8 ive replaced 2 over the past 7 years. One lasted about 6 years, the other a few months, im assuming it was a bad drive to begin with. I keep my server on 24/7 since it streams almost all day, and overnight my wife streams from work. Never had an issue with the black or blue yet though. Love to switch the OS and game drives to SSDs sometime, but I like keeping all my games installed, which is about 2TB. Not really willing to pay $500 for a 2TB quite yet though :P For media im just gonna stick with greens, been working well for me so far.

breezytm

So it must be the red drives then. As you can see, no one with good result has yet to mentioned their drives being the red. I think the black ones were solid. 

shaefurr

I've had 2 drives fail in 27years

You win!

the drives in my old pc still work, but they're like 2GB drives or something horrible like that :P

shaefurr

Anyone tried the WD purple drives? I know they're "surveillance" drives, but I like a few notes about it "Tuned for high stream-count applications" and "designed for 24/7, always on"

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

I spend a fair bit of time on the Qnap forum helping people fix problems and there are lots of stories/incidents of people having issues with drives and each type of hard disks go through bad periods

a good example is the Seagate Barracuda drives DM001 series - i had 12 and 8 failed(over three years) - but this is in a NAS which tends to run disks harder and those drives could not handle the 24/7 aspect - in a PC they are fine.

When i say failed i mean a couple of bad sectors or sector reallocation's at that point i will pull them - not out right curl your toes up failure but in a raid more you  are more restricted in what you can live with as in a rebuild you dont want another drive to fail as your data could be toast

Not surprisingly i dont but Seagate now - but i have learnt my lesson and only buy NAS spec dives for my NAS's - For backup i use WD Blue (which are effectively the old Greens with an updated BIOS) as they are not on 24/7 and will not be in a raid as of this weekend when the final bits of my new build arrive. i have a suspicion that the RED's are greens with a different bios again and better vibration characteristics.

Also i run SMART tests on my disks daily (short test) to try and get some warning things are going to go bad - SMART wont catch everything but.....

WD Red's have started to see more failures in the last few months - but at the moment it appears to be the 4tb models - possibly a manufacturing issue - not huge numbers of failures but enough the be noticeable

I've got an inventory of 78 disks from 0.5TB upto 6TB for mechanical's and 100GB to 960GB SSD's - so if we are gynxing ourselves - i'm so out of luck  :D

My preference is HGST (4TB) for fast drives and WD Red's (3tb) +WD Blue's (4TB and 6TB) - obviously you mileage may vary :)

@@shaefurr - Purples will be fine as they are NAS rated - WD with a different colour label again :)

Just stay clear of the Seagate Archive drives as the write performance is crippled (40MB/s max i have seen reported) but read is very good apparently

I ordered two 6TB examples in a rash moment as they were cheap - wow what a pill of poo they were - both were DOA - and one sounded like the slipping fan belt on a car engine when i turned it on - the other was doing a good impression of eating itself internally - lol

Anyway enough of that - i thought we were slagging off Amazon and Plex :)

PrincessClevage

I spend a fair bit of time on the Qnap forum helping people fix problems and there are lots of stories/incidents of people having issues with drives and each type of hard disks go through bad periods

a good example is the Seagate Barracuda drives DM001 series - i had 12 and 8 failed(over three years) - but this is in a NAS which tends to run disks harder and those drives could not handle the 24/7 aspect - in a PC they are fine.

When i say failed i mean a couple of bad sectors or sector reallocation's at that point i will pull them - not out right curl your toes up failure but in a raid more you are more restricted in what you can live with as in a rebuild you dont want another drive to fail as your data could be toast

Not surprisingly i dont but Seagate now - but i have learnt my lesson and only buy NAS spec dives for my NAS's - For backup i use WD Blue (which are effectively the old Greens with an updated BIOS) as they are not on 24/7 and will not be in a raid as of this weekend when the final bits of my new build arrive. i have a suspicion that the RED's are greens with a different bios again and better vibration characteristics.

Also i run SMART tests on my disks daily (short test) to try and get some warning things are going to go bad - SMART wont catch everything but.....

WD Red's have started to see more failures in the last few months - but at the moment it appears to be the 4tb models - possibly a manufacturing issue - not huge numbers of failures but enough the be noticeable

I've got an inventory of 78 disks from 0.5TB upto 6TB for mechanical's and 100GB to 960GB SSD's - so if we are gynxing ourselves - i'm so out of luck :D

My preference is HGST (4TB) for fast drives and WD Red's (3tb) +WD Blue's (4TB and 6TB) - obviously you mileage may vary :)

@@shaefurr - Purples will be fine as they are NAS rated - WD with a different colour label again :)

Just stay clear of the Seagate Archive drives as the write performance is crippled (40MB/s max i have seen reported) but read is very good apparently

I ordered two 6TB examples in a rash moment as they were cheap - wow what a pill of poo they were - both were DOA - and one sounded like the slipping fan belt on a car engine when i turned it on - the other was doing a good impression of eating itself internally - lol

Anyway enough of that - i thought we were slagging off Amazon and Plex :)

Yes a lot of people fall into the dreaded trap of not looking up supported drives and firmware for your specific NAS but if you do it will save you a lot of pain

screwfaze

Hi Guys,

I have a question, what about media already synced to cloud on Emby for example to GDrive, is there any plan for you to be able to access while your server is offline? Sorry if this is off topic.

Thanks,

Alex

Hi Guys,

I have a question, what about media already synced to cloud on Emby for example to GDrive, is there any plan for you to be able to access while your server is offline? Sorry if this is off topic.

Thanks,

Alex

In the future yes.

• 1 month later...

I sign plexpass and amazon cloud plex, and I'm disappointed. The service does not work, is totally bad, the arquvis do not synchronize in amazon's cloud. The plex support this more than 40 days trying to make it work and can't, it is a great false advertising!!

• 2 months later...
breezytm

I sign plexpass and amazon cloud plex, and I'm disappointed. The service does not work, is totally bad, the arquvis do not synchronize in amazon's cloud. The plex support this more than 40 days trying to make it work and can't, it is a great false advertising!!

Considering it's in "beta" stage, I would guess many things would not work correctly. I am participating in the beta and it works for me. Somewhat I should say. There is a huge issue with transcoding though and the library scanner for music sucks. Amazon was a no go. It seems like gdrive is the best way to go for lesser issues. 

I still think the idea is brilliant. I don't want to host anything in my house. My NAS can't handle these applications anymore as new features are constantly being added that are CPU intensive. I currently am experiencing an issue with Emby crashing every night during scheduled tasks. My server simply can not keep up with the chapter creation task. I would love for Emby to provide a solution like that. Specially if, like plex, it costs me nothing.