Best hardware for 4K streaming

bartffield

RedBaron164

"mostly an afterthought" to me means an average 4-core cpu. From what I've seen 4-cores can handle the core Emby service without issue. When I run a library scan I only see about 10-15% cpu usage on the first 4 of 8 cores on my system. But if you need to transcode files regularly I'd say 6 or 8 cores is what you want. Of course with all things computers more cpu/memory is never a bad thing. And this also changes if you are able to take advantage of hardware accelerated transcoding.

As far as recording tv it depends on whether or not you plan on recording straight mpeg2 or transcoding it while it records to mp4's. Recording straight mpeg2 uses almost no cpu on my system. So I record as mpeg2 and it gets transcoded later while I watch it. This way I can record two shows and then watch something else that usually is being transcoded Again, would change if your able to take advantage of hardware accelerated transcoding.

When I watch live TV that gets transcoded on the fly an on my 8-core system, watching a single 1080p OTA station live ffmpeg uses about 20-30% of the cpu to transcode the stream.

Happy2Play

I've got about 40TB of content, 1700 movies, 120 or so series, and emby is using 1.2Gb.

Running an i7-6700, 24GB of ram, dual ssd boot disks running in raid 1, and 5 bonded 1Gb NIC's.

=)

Not exactly sure why some system are using more RAM then others but with 38TBs of content, 5390 Movies and 653 Series, I still hardly see Emby ever hit a gig of Ram, currently 726mb.  Maybe the more clients you have connected, possibly the more RAM used?

MSattler

Not exactly sure why some system are using more RAM then others but with 38TBs of content, 5390 Movies and 653 Series, I still hardly see Emby ever hit a gig of Ram, currently 726mb.  Maybe the more clients you have connected, possibly the more RAM used?

I don't believe so.... since clients usage would only really drive up ffmpeg memory, which is separate from Emby Server.

That being said, I have music also and from prior posts, music bumps it up too, and I forgot to note that =)

• 2 weeks later...
acnp77

Just a small input regarding "direct play": I think the goal should be to direct play everything if you are within your local LAN. Transcoding is for other usecases, and a waste of resources if it is not needed.

Regardless of the Hardware and Sotfware of the client- the only way to get reliable "direct play" is to use the kodi/emby-addon in native mode.

All other client-apps are not capable of playing all formats/containers and will force transcoding.

Also DLNA-streaming does sometimes transcode, even if the client has proven to be able to play the content and the DLNA-Profiles are set to direct play everthing and (according to logs) are also picked up properly.

Regarding the client: IMHO the client should be a low-powered, small unit with a great GPU and HW-codec support- like th RPi. No need for huge energy-comsuming CPU's. This is also valid for 4K. I know that the RPi3 does not support 4K properly.... but almost. I am still looking to find good client HW for 4K too.

Cheers

Edited by acnp77

RedBaron164

I returned my Roku 4 and picked up an Amazon Fire TV Box last week and so far it's been doing a really good job of playing video directly without transcoding. Some things still require transcoding such as the Live TV MPEG2 recordings and a few x265 files that have higher end Audio codecs like DTS-HD-MA. But I'd say about 90% of my media so far plays straight without transcoding. I've gone through and tested a lot of files and so far all the H.264 mkv's and mp4's I've tested and most of my x265 files play straight without transcoding. And with the 802.11ac wireless I'm getting better network throughput than if I used the built-in 10/100 mbps nic.

Mind you I don't have a 4k TV yet so I'm just watching 1080p content. I also like the Emby FireTV app much better than the current Roku app. Once the app receives time-shifting support I think it'll be near perfect.

I know there are other Android TV boxes on Amazon that are cheaper but I don't know what the quality of those are like and most of them do not have hevc support which means no 4k/x265.

acnp77

sounds great... thx for sharing.

the reason why I have to make sure of direct play is that my server has a slow celeron processor and can not transcode high-bitrate movies fast enough. And also it does not make sense in the home network- it's better to get capable clients.

I wish for MB for have an option to totally disable transcoding within LAN (like Plex).

Happy2Play

I wish for MB for have an option to totally disable transcoding within LAN (like Plex).

You can, but then media will no longer play do to a incompatible direct play format.

57faa42a9ba5c_playback.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

acnp77

@@Happy2Play

To me this looks like an option to disallow playing items that would use transcoding. What I mean is an option to always direct play when in LAN, regardless of network and clients. The option you are talking about will either play the file with transcoding or not play it at all. Opposed to direct playing it.

The whole transcoding thing is great, but it should not be such a hassle to avoid it totally on a LAN.

The issue is the client playing the item may not be capable of decoding the container/codecs the item is composed of. This is when emby transcodes the item to conform to the format the client supports. If you use an external player, emby should pass the direct http path of the unmodified file to the external player. Beyond that it would cause more problems than it solves to force direct play every time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

acnp77

as I said, the option to transcode is great. But MB does transcode a LOT when it does not have to. The only way around this today is the kodi /emby client in native mode. I am just talking about a simple option to systematically disable transcoding within LAN. Why is this so hard to understand?

But MB does transcode a LOT when it does not have to.

So an option to "force direct"? There are some apps that already do this besides kodi. The automatic detection in apps/clients is not 100%. Things will transcode that can direct play. It isnt hard to understand. It is hard to understand for most users who will see this option and enable it and then wonder why things wont play. I agree having the option to force direct should already be in the apps. One day they will all get there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

as I said, the option to transcode is great. But MB does transcode a LOT when it does not have to. 

You have some examples of this?

Happy2Play

as I said, the option to transcode is great. But MB does transcode a LOT when it does not have to. The only way around this today is the kodi /emby client in native mode. I am just talking about a simple option to systematically disable transcoding within LAN. Why is this so hard to understand?

As said you would have to give specific examples.  Even Plex can not direct play a codec that a device/client doesn't support.

Edited by Happy2Play

Example:

I tried DLNA with kodi: If I start the movie XY from the webinterface (ipad client) and send it to kodi client it plays direct stream (all profiles setup and matched). But if I start the same movie XY directly from kodi it transcodes (same profile used). This proves that MB transcodes when not needed.  Maybe with the apps the recognition is better, but I do not use the mb-apps.

But yes, you are right- the "force direct play" is only needed if the client/network capabilities are not recognized coerrectly. So maybe not that important as I thought.

I am happy with my kodi-clients and the webinterface...

Happy2Play

Example:

I tried DLNA with kodi: If I start the movie XY from the webinterface (ipad client) and send it to kodi client it plays direct stream (all profiles setup and matched). But if I start the same movie XY directly from kodi it transcodes (same profile used). This proves that MB transcodes when not needed.  Maybe with the apps the recognition is better, but I do not use the mb-apps.

But yes, you are right- the "force direct play" is only needed if the client/network capabilities are not recognized coerrectly. So maybe not that important as I thought.

I am happy with my kodi-clients and the webinterface...

Or there is a file access issues.  Since "Play to" and direct access are using two different methods.

sorry, I somehow got off-topic. Did not mean to make a mess here... Can I move my last question?

Edited by acnp77

Happy2Play

sorry, I somehow got off-topic. Did not mean to make a mess here... Can I move my last question?

Split post to DLNA.