NextPVR Plugin not working

greenwoc

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to Emby as I'm trying to use it as a replacement for Windows Media Center. I absolutely love the Movies/TV setup and the Photos and Music are also pretty good but I'm struggling with DVR.

I have an HDHomeRun and the current native Live TV functionality doesn't quite meet my needs. I really didn't want to install a dedicated TV backend but I had the following problems with Emby (please let me know if any of them are currently fixable):

Schedules Direct did a reasonable job of getting guide listings but no matter how I play with it I get no better than 80% coverage.

Scheduling Recordings through Emby Theatre is basic. I can set something to record but can't view or edit the recording schedule, view series etc.

The recording interface is not especially dynamic. Hitting record takes a while before anything appears in scheduled on the android app for example

I can live with the above but the killer in the end for me was that there seems to be no way to play a recording before it has finished recording.

I hope these all get implemented and resolved in due course but in the meantime the only option for me is to look at a backend.

NextPVR does all of the above getting it's EPG OTA and recordings can be played even if they have only just started recording.

I've just spent all day trying to get Emby and NextPVR to play nicely together with no success. I have the following setup

Windows Server 2012

Emby 3.0.7200.0

NextPVR 3.7.7

NextPVR Plugin 3.0.6101.25925

NextPVR and Emby are running on the same server, the NextPVR Plugin is set to connect at the default localhost:8866

When I save the settings for the NextPVR plugin nothing happens, it just appears that it isn't installed. 

Going into Emby's log file I get the following:

2016-09-22 20:03:35.7580 Error App: Error getting service status info from Next Pvr

*** Error Report ***
    Version: 3.0.7200.0
    Command line: C:\Users\chris\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe -service
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
    Processor count: 4
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: True
    Program data path: C:\Users\chris\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
    Application Path: C:\Users\chris\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
    One or more errors occurred.
    MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException
     at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager.<SendAsyncInternal>d__1d.MoveNext()
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
     at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
     at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
     at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager.<SendAsync>d__7.MoveNext()
     at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
     at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager.<Get>d__2.MoveNext()
     at MediaBrowser.Plugins.NextPvr.LiveTvService.<InitiateSession>d__12.MoveNext()
     at MediaBrowser.Plugins.NextPvr.LiveTvService.<EnsureConnectionAsync>d__11.MoveNext()
     at MediaBrowser.Plugins.NextPvr.LiveTvService.<GetStatusInfoAsync>d__43.MoveNext()
     at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.LiveTv.LiveTvManager.<GetServiceInfo>d__24b.MoveNext()
    InnerException: System.AggregateException
    One or more errors occurred.
     at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
     at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager.<SendAsyncInternal>d__1d.MoveNext()
    InnerException: System.Net.WebException
    The request was aborted: The request was canceled.
     at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
     at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization)

I've had a couple of slight variations on this. One of the earlier ones was an HTTP 500 error so I assumed that NextPVR was at fault. However I've tried re-installing NextPVR, installing an older version, installing it on a Windows 7 machine and trying to connect to that and nothing has got me any further than the above.

If I stick http://localhost:8866/live?channel=1 into a browser I get a stream of data from NextPVR.

I'm really now at a loss for what to try next. I've struggled to find a guide for the NextPVR plugin but a few screenshots in the forums imply that I should see something in the LiveTV section of the Emby Dashboard.

Any suggestions?

Edited by greenwoc

I would stick with the built-in support. Switching to a plugin won't have any effect on the presentation of Emby Theater. The recording features in Emby Theater are in progress of being built up, so it will come over time. What I would suggest doing is going to the Schedules Direct website and reporting to them what channels they're missing data for. Before you do that though I would suggest trying the Emby channel mapping feature because Schedules Direct might have the data but it's possible the channels are not automatically mapping.

• Like 1

I've had a couple of slight variations on this. One of the earlier ones was an HTTP 500 error so I assumed that NextPVR was at fault. However I've tried re-installing NextPVR, installing an older version, installing it on a Windows 7 machine and trying to connect to that and nothing has got me any further than the above.

If I stick http://localhost:8866/live?channel=1 into a browser I get a stream of data from NextPVR.

I'm not aware of any issues on the NextPVR side of things, so reinstalling NextPVR probably isn't going to help you with this. Given you're able to get a stream with that URL, it sounds like NextPVR's web server is running and responding.

This thread is sounding like there is some issues in the Emby NextPVR addon. This was written by Sven (one of the Emby guys), but I'm not sure if he's still around to help debug the problem. I'm the author of NextPVR, and happy to help out on the NextPVR side of things, but someone will need to let me know what data or request Emby is having problems with.

Edited by sub3
  • Like 1

Hi Guys, thanks for the quick responses.

@@Luke - Emby already did a great job at mapping the channels I only had to modify a couple.

Although Emby isn't quite where I'd like it from a maturity perspective I really like where it is heading. NextPVR on the other hand is already better than WMC. Think I'll have to run them side by side for now and see what I use the most.

FYI - what I did notice is that despite the error the plugin must be at least partially working. In the Emby guide I now have all channels listed twice. What is interesting is that one copy of the channel shows listings that aren't available through Schedules Direct so must be coming OTA from NextPVR.