New Server Motherboard and Cpu recommendations

Crestj

After recently discovering my old HP Proliant Microserver N36L needs to be retired from active service I am in need of a new 24/7 fairly low power Server.

The case I've got my eye on is a Fractal Design Array R2.

I've had the i7-3770S (Ivy Bridge) recommended as it's got some grunt but is still only 65w. Maybe an equivalent i5 as I doubt I'd need that much power.

The case needs a mini-itx motherboard.

I'd be putting in 16gb memory as well.

It would only need to deal with running mbserver, squeezebox server software, dish out films to my htpc and transcode films to stream to the family's tablets.

Any and all recommendations would be great.

Edited by Crestj

shaefurr

An i5 would be fine, even with streaming/transcoding to 4 devices at once my cpu usage usually doesnt go above 50%. I'm running an i5 750 with 12gb ram

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

CBers

@@Crestj - what about the newest MicroServer N54L?

- AMD N54L / 2.2GHz

- 2GB DDR3 SDRAM

- HDD 1x 250GB

£190 with £50 cashback in the UK.

Edited by CBers

Yeah I thought about that one but wasn't sure the cpu was up to transcoding???

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Logos302

I use an AMD A4-5300 (3.4ghz) with 8gb ram and it keeps up to the transcoding for me.  Course I'm only using it for one stream at most.  With four transcoding operations you might need more horsepowe IE more cores.  But I'm not sure you need something like an I7.  

The Microserver I have currently is absolutely great so maybe the newest one (not the gen 8) is the one to go for.

Half the things I read say it can Transcode happily, the other half say it's pants!

CBers

Sitting watching Avatar 1080p on my Nexus 7 Streaming from an N54L server.

Playback is OK, but FF/RW is a bit hit and miss. Probably CPU related.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

That's good, I didn't expect it to cope with that!

Good enough for me. Thanks CBers! Nothing like a live test!

I've heard it will take 16gb but 8 is fine I think

CBers

Not sure about 16Gb as there are only 2 slots.

Crucial.com only says 8Gb.

Are you in UK?

Edited by CBers

Yeah, the info did come from a forum so not exactly accurate!

fantaxp7

Yea I use an i5 in my server, which runs proxmox, my ZFS storage, a windows virtual machine that has MB-server and acts as a central DVR with WMC and streams to multiple clients.

i5 is go to go :)

in case you change your mind and want to build your server, i'd get the fractal design node 304 over the array R2 its still in support, cheaper and couldn't recommend the case more, it houses my server/gaming pc and it's ace!

• Like 1

Thanks, I did see that but adding the MB, ram, cpu and psu means spending way more than getting the new microserver.

CBers

Thanks, I did see that but adding the MB, ram, cpu and psu means spending way more than getting the new microserver. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

See if you can get hold of a new MicroServer to test on before buying :)

One test may not be enough.

I've checked the spec.org stats for the 2 cpu's and the new one is about 2.5 times quicker on average so it should do the trick nicely.

It also has some new instruction sets for transcoding.

Just trying to work out transferring MBserver to a new server and move from WHS2011 to 2012 Essentials.

CBers

And they're cheap :)

Just ZIP up the server folder on old server, install MBS on new server. Shut MBS and the unzip folder/files over the top.

I'm sure that's how I've previously done it.

• Like 1

asmithau

Hi Guys,

I bought a G8 Microserver in September last year, with the entry level Celeron G1610T CPU and currently have just 4GB ram.

It's running Server 2012 Standard and hosts all of my media (currently about 5TB of data).

NB. I would like a bit more RAM, but the costs are so high at the minute it's stupid!

I have Media Bowser Server setup for my 2 dedicated HTPC's, Win 8.1 Laptop and Surface RT.

We also have Air Video for 4 iPads in the house to watch media on (looking forward to the iPad MB client ;))

I haven't done any exhaustive testing but the server never seems to have any issues keeping up with many of these devices watching media at the same time, including when multiple things are being transcoded. I was concerned with the CPU of the server beforehand, but believe me the kids would complain endlessly if there was any hint of an issue. 

I've had various servers hacked together over the years, from old parts to old client servers (I work for an IT company), but I can honestly say buying the G8 Microserver has been the best thing I've ever done. I added a 3 year NBD onsite warranty for about $50 so I don't have to worry about it failing over for the next few years.

It's a very solidly built device, includes some outstanding server grade features like iLO and multiple Ethernet ports for NIC teaming, it's quiet, and for the price you really can't go wrong.

I couldn't recommend one of these anymore highly.

Next stage is to work towards getting 4 x 3/4TB WD Reds!

Thanks

Adam

• 1 month later...
simono5

Just purchased a HP Microserver N54L and wondered how people are getting on with theirs?

Hopefully it will be delivered soon and I can 3x2tb drives slotted in.

Planning on running XPenology.......looking forward to getting my hands dirty  :)

Running mine with an ssd to run Windows Server 2012 R2 essentials and 4 x 2tb drives with stablebit DrivePool.

Lovely upgrade from the old microserver.

Edited by Crestj