With LiveTV, MB almost replaces Windows Media Center

walshy002000

walshy002000

Hi Everyone,

Long time MB2 user, and just upgraded to 3 recently and donated after seeing how great it's all coming. Just wanted to pitch in to say with the recent announcement of Live TV functionality, MB is coming one step closer to becoming my post-Windows Media Center replacement. Given MS have abandoned it, MB seems to be shaping up to be the replacement, from my POV anyway :)

All that's missing is an Xbox One MB3 client and you guys will have me sold. Not sure about others, but given the cost of developing a console app, I'd be quite happy to pay significantly more for it if it  gives me the same simple, clean and fast usability that the current WMC does so well. You might even be able to raise funds by selling beta access? Not sure if others would also be willing to support an Xbox One app as well?

That's all for now, just wanted to say thanks and great work to the devs for getting me through a post WMC world (all is not lost :P), and really hoping for an Xbox One app  :)

All the best,

Walshy

Edited by walshy002000
  • Like 1

bloodtaker

Doesn't the xbox have a web browser? If so it can access the web client which works well as well as a tie over for an app to be developed if it is deemed to be so.

Doesn't the xbox have a web browser? If so it can access the web client which works well as well as a tie over for an app to be developed if it is deemed to be so.

It makes a neat demo but that's not something you'd want to do for everyday use.

walshy002000

I'm also keen to try out the new voice control and other features that apps can now access. I'm a developer and might be able to help out in the future if I can, either as developer or tester. I'm finishing a PhD for the next 3 months, but after that I'm free :D

Edit: Typo

Edited by walshy002000
  • Like 1

swhitmore

For videos I definitely agree MB3 wins hands down (and Live TV will be a great addition). However for music and pictures, nothing beats WMC for me. I regularly have 'slide nights' at our house. It's great to be able to load up a slideshow with music playing in the background. I love the little features, like the song details popping up when the song starts/finishes while looking at pictures, and how it handles removable media. The 'Pan and Zoom' looks great when looking at pictures too.

That actually got me thinking. It would be awesome if someone could mix 'pan and zoom' during a slideshow, with facial recognition. That way when the photo comes up,  it could pan and zoom towards peoples faces.

• Like 3

Cheesegeezer

Hi Everyone,

Long time MB2 user, and just upgraded to 3 recently and donated after seeing how great it's all coming. Just wanted to pitch in to say with the recent announcement of Live TV functionality, MB is coming one step closer to becoming my post-Windows Media Center replacement. Given MS have abandoned it, MB seems to be shaping up to be the replacement, from my POV anyway :)

All that's missing is an Xbox One MB3 client and you guys will have me sold. Not sure about others, but given the cost of developing a console app, I'd be quite happy to pay significantly more for it if it  gives me the same simple, clean and fast usability that the current WMC does so well. You might even be able to raise funds by selling beta access? Not sure if others would also be willing to support an Xbox One app as well?

That's all for now, just wanted to say thanks and great work to the devs for getting me through a post WMC world (all is not lost :P), and really hoping for an Xbox One app  :)

All the best,

Walshy

Well the work thats being done currently and the screenshots you are seeing, is a plugin that uses the WMC tuners, its just allowing other clients to tap into it. Once the next pvr plugin comes then it will be independant of wmc.

• 2 weeks later...
AgileHumor

I'm ready to ditch WMC once it has my three critical items:

Vera Home Automation

http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index.php/2012/10/05/home-automation-with-windows-media-center-mcontrol-v3-integrated-with-veralite/ 

XM Client

http://niveus.com/tv/technology/niveus-siriusxm-2-0-sneak-peak

Netflix Client (that you can close, not just launch)