Emby Theater UWP - IR Remote Not Working in Assigned Access

jhoff80

I have a spare bedroom that is running a cheap old Atom Windows PC that is now on 10, and now that Emby has two UWP apps, it seemed like a perfect opportunity for Windows 10 Pro's "Assigned Access" mode (formerly known as Kiosk mode).  Basically, in that mode you can set up a user to only have access to a single UWP app.  No Windows shell visible at all.  (And if anyone doesn't know, you access this through "Accounts>Set up family & other accounts>Set up assigned access' (the last part being in small text at the bottom.)

Unfortunately, with Emby Theater UWP set as that Assigned Access app, the IR remote control never has focus and can't navigate the app.  I can click on the app to give it focus and make the remote work again, but it eventually will stop working again.

This is pretty much a perfect scenario for a locked down Windows-based streaming box, so it'd be great if it was possible to make this work.  Not sure if the issue is potentially on Microsoft's end, however.

Unfortunately I think it might be because in the UWP world we are not really involved with managing focus of the main application window. If you hook up a keyboard and use the arrow keys, do those work at the same time the IR keys do not?

• 2 weeks later...
jhoff80

It took me a while to actually get around to testing this, but I just wanted to confirm that your suspicion is correct that the arrow keys don't work in that mode either.